Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Wheel Well Clearance

Hey all. You may have seen where we upgraded to the hi-spec 17.5" wheels and the GY G114 tires.

I put them on myself and used the blocks under the leveling jacks. All went well. There was a slight "ping" on the drivers side when I lowered the trailer.

Took a trip of about 400 miles round trip. Temps. were great as was pressure.

I took the trailer (2012 Big Sky 3625RE) in for a few slide adjustments and for a wheel bearing repack. When I dropped of the trailer I noticed it was leaning on the drivers side. Upon closer inspection and comparing the curbside, there was at least 1 1/2" difference in clearance between the tire and the wheel well.

Asked the dealer to take a look as maybe the rubber shear was ripped. They took pictures and measurements and sent them Keystone for review.

Keystone cam back and said that is normal as there are 3 slides on the drivers side and it leans more that way.....

I say no. It never did before and the G114 tires are actually smaller in diameter than the G614's I took off.

Anyone else heard of this or had this problem? I was hoping they would find that the shear had a problem but no go.

Recommendations or am I being told the truth? I would hate to have the fenders rub on the tires.

Appreciate your insight as always!!!

Bigsky3625RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have a 3665RE with three slides on the street side and G614's and the trailer isn't leaning nor is there a difference in clearance from one side to the other. The kitchen slide does put a lot of weight on that side since both pantries and the frig are there, but that's not causing us to tilt.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
I have a 3580RL with two slides on the street side that are larger than the three slides. I also have the G614's and there is no leaning or differance from one side or the other with the slides in or out.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I have a 3402RL with 3 slides on the driver side, the unit is as level as the ground it sits on and there is no lean to that side. I cannot believe anyone from Keystone would say such a thing and expect anyone to believe it.

I would look for something amiss on that side, spring broken, spring hanger broken, hanger bolt missing. Maybe a weak spring or both on that side. Perhaps the ping your heard was something breaking. If it was not out of level before then it should not be now. Something is not right.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #5
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Thought so as well. I am concerned about the dealer.......again.

Should I call Keystone? Anyone have a phone number?

Good thing is I have it from the dealer in an email.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Here's who to contact if you want to contact Keystone:

Keystone RV Company
Customer Service
2425 Davis Drive
PO Box 2000
Goshen, IN 46527-2000
Phone (toll free): (866) 425-4369

Keep us informed on what they tell you!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #7
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Her's who to contact if you want to contact Keystone:

Keystone RV Company
Customer Service
2425 Davis Drive
PO Box 2000
Goshen, IN 46527-2000
Phone (toll free): (866) 425-4369

Keep us informed on what they tell you!
Thank you! and I will keep you all updated.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Our 2010, 3455sa sits level, although one fender skirt is closer to the tires than the other. The drivers or roadside is closer. Three slides on roadside. When it was new, the door side fender skirt was damaged, and also not aligned with the moulding along the side just above the fender. After installing the new skirt properly aligned , the distance from the tire was different. Trailer is level but looking at fenders would be confusing.
In addition, the center point of the fender on the drivers side is much closer to the tires than the door side.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:41 AM   #9
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HOOK

Our 2010, 3455sa sits level, although one fender skirt is closer to the tires than the other. The drivers or roadside is closer. Three slides on roadside. When it was new, the door side fender skirt was damaged, and also not aligned with the moulding along the side just above the fender. After installing the new skirt properly aligned , the distance from the tire was different. Trailer is level but looking at fenders would be confusing.
In addition, the center point of the fender on the drivers side is much closer to the tires than the door side.
That is what I see as well. The drivers side is closer to the tire. I pick it up Saturday and will do some measurements on the frame to the ground.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #10
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I and others may have misinterpreted your original post. If indeed the unit is "leaning", as in lower to level ground on one side than the other, then I say something is wrong. If the appearance of the unit "leaning" was from the measured distance from the wheel to the fender then it may be the fenders are not all mounted exactly the same.

Measuring the distance from the frame to level ground on both sides would determine if it is level or not. The distance from the top of the inside of my easy lube covers to the bottom of my fender skirt is different at every wheel, even on the door side where the skirt is all one piece.

I have never gotten the illusion that my unit was not sitting level from looking at the wheels in relation to the fender.

A couple of measurements will tell the story one way or the other.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 AM   #11
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I really do not believe any trailer manufactor would build a trailer with lean??????? Sounds like a pretty bogus excuse. Call Keystone direct or find another dealer
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #12
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Hey all. Picked up the Big Sky today. Awesome time.....NOT!!!!

It still leans a bit to the drivers side. I was assured that pictures and measurements were sent to Keystone and all is good. There is at least a 2 inch difference in the clearance between the tires on the drivers side and the curb side in the wheels wells. Did not see any tire to fender well rubs.

Now get this......needed two slides adjusted because the rear bottom of the slides sealed well but the front bottom barely touched. No compression of the seal. Paid the bill, went out and hooked up......then thought.....you know, I should take a look at the work since once again they didn't walk me through the repairs.

Hard to imagine.....but they didn't do S%^& to the slides. No adjustment. Same gaps in the front / bottom. Seal is not compressed at all.

Brought the service guy out and showed him....he said the back looks good and walked away. I was amazed.

Decided I was done with this dealer......set up to do my light test. Turned on the left turn indicator...walked behind the trailer and holy bird crap!!!! The whole ledge under the rear window was covered in bird crap......I was already ******.......so walked back in and got the service rep......he looked at it and said wow........I said yea....wow.....now get it washed.

Had to unhook and they got it washed.

I can honestly say I have never ever been treated so poorly after spending so much money. I get better service at Macy's returning an ugly tie!!!

By the way, dealer is Tacoma RV in WA state. Owner is Ladonna....Service reps are Jim and Brian.

AVOID THIS PLACE!!!!!!! I will be filing a complaint with the BBB for work not done and overall crappy customer service.

I really am shocked......

Anyone know of a RV dealer ( and I don't care if it is Keystone or not) that will actually support a customer and perform the work they said they did????
Old 06-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I Pm'ed you a E mail to send these post to.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Thanks Rich. I still cannot believe this dealer. So sad. If I ever buy another 5er it will NOT be from them.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Look underneath and see if the frame outriggers are cracked. If so, that may cause the difference in height. Easy weld and a not uncommon problem.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:42 PM   #16
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by trlrboy

Look underneath and see if the frame outriggers are cracked. If so, that may cause the difference in height. Easy weld and a not uncommon problem.
What / where are the frame outriggers? Never heard that term before.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
Check with OZZ- He replaced the springs on his Monty- He put heavier springs on one side to offset the heavier weight on that side and make his fiver sit level- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #18
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
We are at the ocean for three nights. Trip went well. I did find a pretty level spot and the trailer looks level. Need go measure it next time.

One other thing Tacoma RV was to fix was the slide topper over the dining table and recliners. It sags after a few days. Said they tightened it up had to reweld a bent bracket.......well guess what? Still sagging. Hard to believe, huh? Tacoma RV didn't do the work they said they did.........
Old 06-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have a similar leaning on the side with 3-slides on our 3400RL. It did not do that when new. We once had a spring hanger break on that side and I figured that for the culprit. But when that was fixed it still leaned. Dealer did all the measurements. So did Keystone Service Center. So did I. No obvious problems.

Then I thought maybe we had spring sag because of the 3 slides on one side. But we had new, heavier axles installed along with all new heavier springs. And it still sagged the same amount on that side. And it does to this day.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #20
Bigsky3625RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12815
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

I have a 3402RL with 3 slides on the driver side, the unit is as level as the ground it sits on and there is no lean to that side. I cannot believe anyone from Keystone would say such a thing and expect anyone to believe it.

I would look for something amiss on that side, spring broken, spring hanger broken, hanger bolt missing. Maybe a weak spring or both on that side. Perhaps the ping your heard was something breaking. If it was not out of level before then it should not be now. Something is not right.

So I found what the problem is with one week left before our trip. You hit the nail on the head.

Was out last Sunday performing some pre-trip maintenance. While laying under the trailer on the street side checking the torque on the u-bolts I noticed the rear leaf spring was almost flat. Hardly any support.

Hard to believe Tacoma RV missed it. They said they even checked the u-bolt torque.

Called the dealer we bought our first TT from who is now an authorized service center for our rig.

This was yesterday. They called today and said the leaf spring replacement would be in Thursday and scheduled an appointment for this Friday to replace it.

They carry the Thor line so I think that is why they are now a service center.

If they do good by us on this maintenance I will have a new dealer to do our fixes.

Will take a picture and post it to get your input and if any of you have seen this.

Good call on the leaf springs! Appreciate it.