Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
Leaving trailer in cold weather

I am curently in the Seattle are and am going to leave my trailer for 3 weeks. It has been getting into the low 30's high 20's here in the early morning. Do I have to fully winterize? I was just thiking I would drain all of the holding tanks and drain the lines and leave the faucets open in the trailer to handle any expansion of any water in the trailer that may freeze. I was also planning on leaving the forced air heater on set at 42 degrees. Does anyone see a problem with doing this for just.

muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:26 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Depends on if you can count on the weather to stay the same. For no more work than it is and the $ you have invested I'd do the job right. By the way, one way or the other don't forget to drain the water heater.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It is your investment. How you risk it is your decision. If it were my decision, I would choose to protect it well.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Even for just 3 weeks why risk it? My vote is to Winterize! I live where I don't have to winterize but if there is a need to winterize at all and it removes any risk of damage, then it may as well be done right. If you don't and there's a problem you'll kick yourself.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I can winterize the water system in 30 mins (an hour max) which includes draining water heater, blowing out lines and pumping in pink stuff.

If you do winterized you also need to assess all freezable liquids (groceries).

Ref: leaving the heat on. I find I would go through a 30 pound tank of propane in three days when the temperature was near freezing and I brought it up to 70 during the day. This included using electric heat during the day to maintain the 70. My question is do you have enough propane to last the time you are gone.

What happens if you loose power while you are gone? The 12VDC motor on the furnace will drain the battery rapidly.

I would winterize.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Would suggest that you winterize as well. Almost anything could happen while you are gone, power outages, tripped breaker, extreme cold. Run the pink stuff thru and you won't have to worry about it while you are away.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:04 AM   #7
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Bill and Linda, I guess for me it would all depend on how high the daytime temperatures get. If they go well above the mid and upper 30's, I would just drain from the low point drains. Open all of the faucets, open the pressure relief valve at the top of the hot water heater tank and then, open the low point drains. You will be amazed as to how long it takes to drain the hot water lines. That is because, the hot water heater tank is draining, also. Be sure to open and drain any filters and to pour some antifreeze down drains that have p-traps. Also, open the toilet flush valve......prop it open somehow and I'd think everything should be fine for 3 weeks.
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #8
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Honestly think you would make a good choice if you winterized. Not enough propane for the length of time you will be gone. If you had big enough tanks and the ones that come witht he trailer are not big enough for 3 weeks the cost wouldn't be worth it. For about $10 and less than an hour your safe for sure!!!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:34 AM   #9
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
Thanks for all your input, I think I will winterize it. It was just a thought. I wouldn't be warming the trailer up to 70 degrees, only about 45. I dont think the forced air would be on that much.
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:27 AM   #10
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
muddflap, if you drain all water including the HW tank then blow the water from the lines with air, you should be safe.Would not need the heat.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:42 AM   #11
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by muddflapp

Thanks for all your input, I think I will winterize it. It was just a thought. I wouldn't be warming the trailer up to 70 degrees, only about 45. I dont think the forced air would be on that much.
I live in N.C. We have some few days below freezing and lower. We always leave heat at 40 and W/H on. We don't winterize as we might dicide to go at a moments notice. Never had a freeze problem yet. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:09 PM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Instead of using the pink stuff, use some Jim Beam. It works just as well and is a lot more fun to de-winterize...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Then make sure at that time to have some ice cubes handy and viola!!!
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Tom, I like your idea for winterizing. I think I might try it with some vodka also. Maybe Jack Daniels in cold water lines and vodka in the hot water lines. Guess I'll have to watch what I'm doing when I prep the stool! I'll have the ice machine cranked up prior to dewinterizing and a couple of glasses all ready! Then it's party time!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote