Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #1
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Wet bolt HELP !

Ok, I have a 2011 Montana Mountaineer that came with TraiAir equilizers and ordered and recieved today the Mor/Ryde wet bolt and shackel kit. Jacked up and took everything apart and when I went to install the new parts I found the Mor/Ryde kit had 2 1/4" shackles and my unit had 3 1/4" shackles. After looking at it it looked like it would work and would just raise my trailer by 1" which would be ok. So I went ahead and installed on on side and my concern was the sping eye holes on one end of each axle would not quite line up enough that I had to use a rachet strap to pull it enough to get the bolt in. My qustionis should this be OK or do I need to order new equilizers. The Mor/Ryde box says compatable with Mor/Ryde 3000, 4000, Stk & EquaFlex suspensions using 2 1/4" shackles.

jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hard to visualize what you needed to do to allow alignment to insert bolt. I installed the wet bolt kit and had to do some axle jacking and port a power pressure to get mine back together. Wondering if your pressing open the spring pac preload which wouldn't be recommended as you need that un-sprung weight load. Maybe someone else will have better understanding and add input but my vote is get same dimension plates as what came off.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think we all had to jack up the suspension so the darn things would fit. (Or use a clamp to pull them together.)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
the shackles on your unit are longer than the after market one? If so wouldn't you be lowering the rig? I would think you would need to kind of stretch the spring to make everything reach. If it were me i would only replace the original one with the same sizes.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Well untill today I thought a wet bolt & shackel kit was just standard now after going to the Mor/Ryde web site I see they have a 2 1/4" and a 3 1/8" for the TrailAir/EquaFlex and tweetys where I ordered mine only shows the one I ordered 2 1/4". Quess I will call Mor/Ryde and see what I can do.
jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #6
pbahlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9380
You should be really careful about changing the shackle length because shackle length affects the amount of 'lengthening' a spring can take on when it flattens out on a bump. Shackles that are too short (not saying yours are but it's something to think on)will limit the free travel that the end of the spring can achieve. Could give you a damaging hard stop on a big bump.
pbahlin is offline   Reply With Quote