Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Kitchen Floor Split? Cut? Cracked?

Two days ago, I opened the slides in our Montana to check supplies and see what I needed to add/remove before moving into the rig in 3 weeks. Everything was fine.

Today when I opened the slides, the kitchen floor was cut diagonally from the front of the fridge to the counter extension (Montana 3585SA). I don't know what happened: Maybe the slide caught the floor and sliced it, or else--maybe--the floor cracked for some reason. I'd suspect the winter temperatures affected it except that in 3 years, we've never had an RV problem with weather up here. Actually, now that I think about it, if the slide had caught the floor, it seems that the linoleum would have been peeled back toward the direction the slide was going. Hmmmmmm . . . It wasn't "peeled"--it is a clean slice (crack?.

We're taking our Monty to our dealer next week to have our graphics replaced, so I guess we'll be having the kitchen floor replaced while our unit is there.

On another topic: Looks as though we're going to have less to haul and store than we feared, because the buyers of our home are going to buy some of the huge pieces of furniture that we didn't want to put into storage. Woohoo! Move-out day is fast approching. Sure hope our Monty will be ready for us "in a timely manner."

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Wayne is there a possability that a foren object has lodged itself under the slide and is wedge or stuck causing the cutting action to your floor. I had a AA battery from a flashlight that flew apart while I was on the road I was lucky that it was round and it was rolled out when opened.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:26 PM   #3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We didn't see anything, but I guess something could be lodged under the slide and out of sight. However, when we were in the trailer 2 days ago, the floors were bare.

Carolyn
Old 03-20-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Carolyn, a crack is unusual. My floor covering peeled back, about a foot of it, right after we got ours. I think it is plywood under there, so a crack in the flooring is doubtful. But possible.
Your dealer will fix it good as new.
Isn't moving a pain?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:38 AM   #5
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
had the floor crack in our Cardinal TT right before I was taking it too trade in on our Montana. I am sure it was freeze, thaw stuff? Floor was not under a slide or anything. Just FYI
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:19 AM   #6
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
nunya, our crack isn't under a slide either; the slide does go over it when the slides are closed. I think it's the freeze/thaw stuff that's finally taken a toll on the floor. After a second inspection of the area, there aren't any scraped, pulled, or peeled areas in the linoleum--just the crack.

Carolyn
Old 03-20-2011, 05:43 AM   #7
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Yup! It's likely the cold/thaw cycle that did it. That's what happened with our SOB. Clean crack, no scrapes or gouges. It wasn't near a slide.
Best of luck on your move out/in!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #8
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
Mine froze and cracked in the dead of winter about 3 years ago. I took the old linoleum out of the kitchen area and replace it with the 18 in. tile that is about a quarter inch thick.... Worked out good.. The sub-flooring was chip board in my rig..JB
deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Carolyn,

The good news is that you can now get some nice looking linoleum to replace it, or you might consider what we did; we replaced the cheap linoleum with linoleum we bought at home depot.....looks like real wood, and very easy to keep clean.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:32 AM   #10
nunya
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6756
Alure flooring from Home Depot is the ticket for sure!
nunya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #11
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
I had the same exact thing happen to me. I have a 07 3400 I think there is a nail head sticking out or something sharp. It just happened. All though ever since I have had it, every time I move in the slide it leaves a mark .But had never cut the floor. Maybe the slide is sagging a little now to cause this. A real Bummer though!
ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:15 AM   #12
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I had to look through all of my photo's, but here is a pic of my floor when it split in the winter time.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Jack and Dee, that's it exactly! After looking at the split in your floor and applying logic rather than emotion, I knew the weather had to be a factor. Thanks for the photos--they made me feel better about my floor because I now know I am not alone! The split in our floor is identical to the one in yours. Did you have to replace the flooring in that area or could it be repaired? It doesn't look as though it could be fixed; the two sides don't meet when I press them down to the plywood.

Carolyn

Old 03-22-2011, 01:13 AM   #14
deadeye
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6693
I just took mine up and used the same sub-floor. Like I said previously, I used a good grade of 18 inch tile (about 1/4 inch thick) that I had left over from doing the bathrooms in our stick house. I bought it at a local flooring store. It has been doing real well so far over the past 3 years. We travel a lot in the summer. No cracks so far. I replaced with a white color for more light....JB
Old 03-22-2011, 07:05 PM   #15
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Because getting the matching flooring from Keystone is not likely, our dealer is having us go to a flooring store (or Lowe's or Home Depot) to pick out something for replacement. Today, when I taped the crack together so that I could move the slides in, the strapping tape matched the floor so perfectly that the crack can hardly be seen. Still, I don't want to have a trailer that's rarely been used mended with tape.

Carolyn
Old 03-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Carolyn,
We were just at Camping World yesterday. DW would like to get rid of the carpeting and put in all new flooring. They had some nice looking "Vinyl" for 7.99 a linear foot (8 foot wide) and their 18" squares varied from 4.99 to 5.99 a square.

Just for info.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote