Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2011, 03:27 AM   #1
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Montana High Country He models

We have a 2009 3400RL and are thinking of trading to a newer model. We were at an RV dealer recently who told us about the new HE High Country series of 3 models, thus far. My husband was thrilled when he heard about the lighter overall weight. They had the 323 RLHE and 343 RLHE models on the lot. (All three models are a brown/gray in color.) We really liked the 343 RLHE because the interior is closest to the 3400. I, Judy, would really miss the closet just inside the door of the 3400 (missing in the 343 RLHE) and the king sized bed we have now (a king is not an option in the High Country models as it naturally adds extra weight). I really do like the all-in-one bathroom and extra kitchen counter space.
Does anyone have a High Country HE model yet and if so, which model, and how do you like it???? Pros and cons???
The sales rep said the High Country is very new and was not shown on the website yet. We haven't checked, but it may be now. We're always reluctant to buy a new model of anything, as there are often issues which need to be resolved before the next version is produced.
We would really welcome any feedback about the High Country HE series.
Thanks!!
I also added a lot of spec information under New Model topic posted by Hookman, if you wish to read more about the model(s).

PackersBackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:11 AM   #2
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Sorry Judy, cannot give you any feedback on the High Country models but can give you our experience in leaving our 07/3400. The main reason we traded was to get that all in one bathroom, a decision we have never regretted since we made the move in June last year. We too lamented the loss of the entry closet but just decided we would have to adjust and we did. That closet was a catch all for everything one can imagine, it just takes a little more effort now to put everything away and keep the entry area uncluttered. As for the bed, we have a queen, and we enjoy the extra space around the bed.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:53 AM   #3
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
thank you DarMar. Yes, I must admit that our closet is kind of a catch all but we have two dogs and it's a good place to store the two bags of dog food (old and young dog each have to have his own type) and dog supplies, the step stool, filled water jugs needed when we leave home (WI) in the winter, sweatshirt, rain gear, jackets, if needed while traveling, dirty shoes and boots, brooms and dust pan. The other 'shelf' items could be stored somewhere else but I keep things in there that we may need while traveling and cannot open the slides. I too, can probably get used to not having it but, alas, it won't be easy. (sigh) The bed may take some getting used to. We have had a king bed for years at home, because we both like to stretch out in all directions.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Send a message via AIM to arcateq
Hi Judy, We have the High Country 333DB which is not a model you are looking at but wanted to comment on the HC line. Ours is a 2010 (first year) and so far we are happy with it. We have had a few issues but nothing to serious. The cable slides have worked great so far. The lighter weight allowed us to get a floor plan that we wanted and loved. This is our first 5th Wheel so I do not have anything to compare it with. Since you have a Montana already you might want to compare finish with the HC line(cabinets etc). For us a pro was the outside color and the rear fiberglass cap. The inside was more finished, with nicer counters etc.(We even love the glass bowl sink) than the Cougar HC. which we looked at. I really like the Montana front cap as well. Cons i wish it had the MorRyde system and non China tires but those are things i will be changing out. (I have learned a lot from this site) Inside con would prob. be the flimsy curtain valance in the back room that fly off as you bounce down the road LOL. To be honest for us we have not found to many cons. Just wanting to do lots of MODs!
arcateq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:20 AM   #5
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Thank you Arcateq for this very useful information. I didn't realize that the series has been out a year already. I told my husband that I'm always wary of purchasing the first year of any vehicle model (including automobiles) because there are often bugs to be worked out in the first models. It sounds like you are satisfied with your purchase. We have the Mor Ryde system and love it. Since we didn't see it on the new models, my husband asked the sales rep if our system could be transferred into the HC. He said sure, it's easily done. Our 3400 was our first 5th wheel as well. We did a fair amount of research and the Montana seemed to have the most positive features and remarks. We also see more of them "on the road". The 3400 length took some getting used to at first and my husband reminded me many times that I was the one who wanted it and he had reluctantly relented. After a few weeks in it however, he grew to love it. He loves the spaciousness, the two quality tv's, the fireplace (which I would highly recommend to anyone... it can take the chill off of cool nights when you don't want to, and subsequently, do not have to, run the furnace. It's very attractive too. The one feature we do not use very often (except for storage, is the desk. I do most of my work at the dinette table. After using it, we also do not like the separate toilet room (a tight squeeze and we're not large people. Our poor 6'5" son is miserable in there. Also, do not like the shower and sink right out in the open in the bedroom and using the folding curtain makes for additional space constraint. I will say again that I will miss our king bed. Thanks for your input. It is much appreciated. Enjoy your new RV and happy travels!!!! Judy
Old 02-03-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Hi Judy. We are considering the same model High Country as you. I love the 3400 style living room and DH wants an enclosed bathroom. He also loves the idea of a lighter weight. We have grown fond of the 2 tone kitchen cabinets but found out they are going with just one color in the future. Cons for me would be the storage doors. On the newer Montanas I like the piston type doors with the sturdier locks. The HC has the old style like what we have now on our 2006 2955RL. Also, the suspension is different and no MorRyde. I am on the fence about the king size bed. I also like the fact that the shades are not day/night....only night. I find that the day/night are a pain to lift up and down all the time. Would like just one to deal with. I am not all that big on privacy during the day. I think that it might not be a good alternative for someone who is fulltiming. Not sure how it will hold up.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #7
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Can't comment based on personal experience (yet) since I have put a deposit on the H.C. 333DB model but have not picked it up yet. Hope to pick it up in the next few weeks...ours is a 2010 also.
We actually preferred the seperate sink, toilet, and shower areas and love the rear bunkhouse with 1/2 bath of this model.
Yes, the lighter weight while still getting all the features and floor plan was very appealing. Having walked through one I thought the overall "feel" and look was of high quality.
Good pricing right now...if you want some recommendations PM me and I can share some things I've learned about buying a H.C.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
As far as quality...I can only say this....it is a Montana!
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:11 PM   #9
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
I can't offer any personal experience either but we did just put a deposit down on a 343 a couple of days ago. Like arcateq mentioned I too noticed the flimsy curtain valances but thought that was something easily fixed later.

Hey... I'll bet the dealers in the Green Bay area won't be all that busy on Sunday so if you don't have anything else to do that day.....

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Congrats on the new H.C.! Did you purchase locally or from a distant dealer to save more money (like many including me)?
I think we will start to see more of the H.C. models in the next year or two. Looking forward to hitting the road with ours this summer!
Old 02-09-2011, 05:43 AM   #11
PackersBackers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8100
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 08UltraRider

I can't offer any personal experience either but we did just put a deposit down on a 343 a couple of days ago. Like arcateq mentioned I too noticed the flimsy curtain valances but thought that was something easily fixed later.

Hey... I'll bet the dealers in the Green Bay area won't be all that busy on Sunday so if you don't have anything else to do that day.....

Lol. Thanks Tim and Nadine but we're in Texas. Sunday was an awesome day watching the Pack win (from the comfort of our Montana). Have fun with that 343! Let us know how you like it.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
rjsurfer
Established Member

M.O.C. #8922
HE series have way smaller tanks, be careful

Ron W.

rjsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
I am not sure that I would consider 2 gallons for the fresh water tank as way smaller, unless i am missing something.
3400RL: 66F,50W, 93G
343RlHE: 64F, 50W, 93G
333DD: 64F, 93W, 93G
Old 02-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
okierver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11127
just picked up the 2011 high country 323rl. love the floorplan, moved up from a laredo bunkhouse. spent the nite on friday nite in the driveway.love the bathroom with entry from the hall and from the master bedroom. will let you know on our first voyage.
okierver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:28 AM   #15
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Congrats on your new purchase! Look forward to hearing about your new purchase.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:51 PM   #16
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Greetings all Moc-in-Rockers. Lucky Nichol now has a 2011 Montana High Country 323 RLHE, Silver Sage. More features Less weight. Yaa-Hooo. See ya all at the fall rally. Love this RV.
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #17
arcateq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10837
Congrats on your new purchase LuckyNichol look forward to hearing how your liking it.