Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
Goodyear Marathon Tires

Well it happened to me on the way to PA. two weeks ago. The passenger side front tire blew and I mean it exploaded. It totally tore up the back tire too, so I had to replace it. Caught it quick and still did $2950 worth of damage to the 3465. Does anyone know a dealer who does Gel work for scratches to my Gel coat. My Progressive adjuster advised no one in the Columbus, Oh area does gel work on RV's. Darn junk tires probably had less than 8,000 miles on them. Two left and am afaid they will blow next.

bkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Check with a boat shop or marina in the area. They usually have more experience with fiberglass and gelcoat repairs than anyone.
Sorry to hear about the mishap.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
I'm getting my trailer repaired by my dealer now from a blowout from a Marathon. Did you contact Goodyear and file a claim?
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
bkirk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8193
NCFischers....No I have not filed anything with Goodyear. Do they have a website or something to file a claim against these junk tires ?
bkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Call this number---800-322-4682. It's the Goodyear claims department in Akron, Ohio. They faxed me a claim form right away.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #6
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
Tire maintenance suggestion: I had two of my Mission tires blow out this year. The trailer had about 20,000 miles on it and the tread on the tires still looked good when I gave them my morning quick look. I always checked my tire pressure and did a quick visual each day. However, when I decided to replace the remaining Missions I found that the third oem tire had a bald spot on part of the tread about 8 to 10 inches around the circumference. Something I did not see during my quick visual. Since I was replacing the tires, I had the tire tech look at the one with the bald spot. He said that a belt had failed and the tire was destined to fail shortly.

From now on I'm going to do a more thorough tread inspection of each tire each day including viewing or feeling the entire circumference of the tires ( except the part on the ground).
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:51 AM   #7
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I recommend doing your inspection every time you stop. I found a bald spot at mid day last year.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
Are all of you having your tires balance? My new trailer came from the factory without being balance. Had them done at Les Schwabs.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:14 AM   #9
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I have mine balanced.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Be sure when you have them balanced that they use a lug centric adapter so the wheel is centered by the lugs and not the center hole. Trailer wheels do not normally center by the center hole like an auto wheel does. Many car tire balance people don't know about this. A few do and have the adapter available.

If they balance by the hole centering method either they will tell you the rim and tire are way out of round or they will put lots of weights on the rim to "balance" it but all it's really doing is locking in an imbalance situation.

LonnieB, or other tire guy out there, this was the situation as of a couple of years ago. Is it correct this is still the case? Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I'm about to put new Duravis tires on my Monty ... I've never heard of a lug centric adapter. Is this something used during the balancing process on the tire balancing machine?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Be sure when you have them balanced that they use a lug centric adapter so the wheel is centered by the lugs and not the center hole. Trailer wheels do not normally center by the center hole like an auto wheel does. Many car tire balance people don't know about this. A few do and have the adapter available.

If they balance by the hole centering method either they will tell you the rim and tire are way out of round or they will put lots of weights on the rim to "balance" it but all it's really doing is locking in an imbalance situation.

LonnieB, or other tire guy out there, this was the situation as of a couple of years ago. Is it correct this is still the case? Thanks.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Normally, they mount the wheel over a hub on the balancer and then screw down this cone to center the rim and tighten it down. That's what doesn't work on these rims. The lug centric adapter fits on their balancer. It has lugs on it to fit the rim. The rim/tire then mount to that adapter and then it is tightened down. The adapter is to properly center these rims on the balancer. The adapter usually has multiple holes to fit different lug patterns for different rims.

I've had three different places use the lug centric adapter. And I've found a couple that had no clue what I was talking about.

If that doesn't answer your question, please click the envelope icon above this post and email me. I'll see that more quickly than a post here.

-- on edit -- the following site is for Toyota vehicles but near the bottom it talks about lug centric balancing and hub centric balancing.

http://www.leadfreewheels.org/101.shtml

-- on 2nd edit -- this is pasted from another site and might explain better than I did.

The basic idea is to mount the wheel on the balancer the same way it is mounted on the vehicle. A pilot hole centric wheel (one where the center hole positions the wheel on the hub and prevents it from wobbling sideways when the lug nuts are removed) can be mounted on a balancer with a cone from the backside. But a lug centric wheel (one that does have some sideways movement when the lug nuts are removed) requires a different balancer mounting procedure. A lug centric wheel should be mounted with a cone from the backside and an adapter flange plate against the front side. The fingers on the flange plate must be properly positioned so they line up with the lug holes in the wheel. This is necessary to center the wheel on the WHEEL balancer shaft. If this is not done, the results will not be 100 percent accurate or repeatable.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #13
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Thanks Steve ... now to copy this explanation and make a pre-install visit to the place that proposes to do my tire balancing/install. I don't want any surprises on install day.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:53 PM   #14
Elise L Slenczka
Established Member

M.O.C. #8224
On our 2011 Montana one of those Goodyear Marathon trailer blew out and did $1028.00 worth of damage. If Keystone wasn't so cheap they could have added road hazard for $10.00 a tire to each trailer. We has a 2005 Montana that was very nice and this one is as cheap as you can go and the workmanship SUCKS. We took a tour of the plant and when the Amaish get 25 trailers assembled they can go home, so it's a race to get out, so goes the Quilty. Keystone changed Dealers on us, the old one across the street would bend over backwards for us but their new dealer screwed us around, first the service manager blamed us for blowing out the tire, then couldn't order us parts or find time to fix the trailer. When we filed a claim with Goodyear it was soon disclaimed, they claim to make the best trailer. I've owned semi's for years and I know how to check tires. On I-39 at the 72mm we fueled, ate breakfest and checked the tires "air and heat" at the 98mm a truck behind me came on the CB and said we had just blown a tire so we stopped and called Good Sam's club who had road ser. come out. The trailer has abut 2000 mile on it and the tires. We replaced all the Goodyears with BFG's commerical tires
Elise L Slenczka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am really confused on why Goodyear denied the claim. Was it because the tire that blew out was discarded?? The reason I am asking is for the future knowledge of forum members (including myself) who may suffer through a similar situation.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #16
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Did you file a claim with Goodyear?? They took care of my damage and compensated me for the blown tire and another one that had a broken cord.