Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Retirement 2009?

Just wondering if anyone else is thinking about retirement this year? The wife and I are still going to try, I will start in May and Nancy will follow me in July. But with all the bad news about the economy makes it pretty scary. Our first long trip will be out to Glacier National Park in August. We are looking to have much more time with the Grandkids, they seem to grow up too fast. Hopefully we can finally attend one of the MOC gatherings in the near future. We look forward to finally meeting some of the fine folks from the MOC,

Happy Camping

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:02 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I retired March of last year. And since then my 401K (rolled to an IRA) has dropped substantially. Fortunately, my wife and I own a small business that she runs. We had planned to sell that last year also, but had to wait due to some other reasons. Glad we waited now as we would have put that money into investments just before the large drop.
But retirement is great. No pressures. No long daily commuting thru heavy traffic. No business travel keeping me gone a week or two at a time. Loving it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:06 AM   #3
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Thank heaven that we made some some strategic moves with all of our retirement funds about 18 months ago. If we didn't, there would be no retirement this year at all.

What was your biggest surprise with retirement?
Old 01-23-2009, 03:52 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If your finanical situation can allow it you just have to do it. We never know how long we will be able to enjoy retirement. We figure if we can pay the bills at the end of the month and have 1.98 left over we are doing good.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:17 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Biggest surprise? That after 40+ yrs of working, 35 at the last company, the ease of transition into retirement. I enjoyed my job and am proud of my accomplishments. But I had no problem putting it behind me and walking away.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #6
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
You are so right Rich. After 35 years working in health care, both military and civilian, I know that this is no practice for the next life, this is all you get. I remember a couple of years ago when you and I were researching out some insurance for the Montana's. If I am not mistaken thats when you were getting ready for retirement. Did you and your wife leave work about the same time? From your posts on the forum you sure have put some miles the Montana during the last couple of years.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:42 AM   #7
William Schelling
Established Member

M.O.C. #6701
My wife and want to go this year and our fininacial guy says we can but........I'm Chicken. If they keep printing money, a loaf of bread will cost $10.00
William Schelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:45 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We both worked for the Federal Government. I retired in 1999 and Helen Retired in 2006 at age 55.We have been on the road ever since. Waiting for Helen to Retire I drove school bus and charter bus. Saved every dollar that I made and was able to purchse the 3400 Montana and Shinny new Truck and then some before she retired. Planning is everything. We have never looked back and we now enjoy our new lifestyle. There is so much to do, so much to see, and so little time. The week after you retire you will not understand why you waited so long. Come on out and play...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:10 AM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Both of us retired in 2005, then took a 2 year assignment in Hong Kong. Have been back in the States since march 2007 and full timing ever since. We have managed to live on SS and a small retirement check. When things are this rocky, we don't want to get into the 401K's. You don't lose money until you sell in a declining market.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:48 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I agree with Rich. We don't know how long we have to be here so if you can see your way to retire now and enjoy some retirement years, go for it. As for us, we had no IRA or stocks or bonds or personal savings. We just had ourselves, an AF pension, Social Security and a small Rockwell pension. We live from month to month and are enjoying every moment. We consider ourselves members of the SKI club (Spending our Kids Inheritance).

Orv & Marge
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Thanks for all the responses. I know that my wife and I share your ideas. We have been "practicing" on being very frugal this last couple of years anticipating retirement. You all are right, there is so much to see and do in this great country.

Rich, sounds like you and the wife are enjoying life, I hope in a couple of years some new member of this board will say this about Nancy and I!

Old 01-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Rich if you have 1.98 left over every month, you need to consider investing it.
My wife has retired but I'm afraid that I have another year or two yet before the fun begins. If the economy hadn't went south this year I may have been the one heading south. But you have to play with the cards dealt.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #13
MIMF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2827
Bob,

This is off the subject a little but, you mention that "Hopefully, we can finally attend one of the MOC gatherings in the near future." Well, since you live in the Great Lakes region and even if you didn't, why don't you and Nancy start by making plans to attend in Mackinaw City, MI in late July?

Gail and I are not yet retired, got at least 2 years to go, and we are are all set to go up there. Love to have you folks there, too. The more, the marrier!

If you're a golfer, bring your clubs and we will have an 18 hole "shoot-out"! Even if you're not a golfer, come watch me for the grins-n-giggles.

Dale
MIMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
My retirement date is July 2,2009.7 days shy of my 56th birthday.36 years with the same company,kind of rare these days huh???I get a pretty nice pension from the Teamsters Union.So I`am counting down the days.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Congratulations on retirement. I am self employed so there is no such animal for me. However I plan to take more and more time off in the future.

My travel partner, my sis, is planning to retire this spring but will probably continue to work on an on call basis.

We are planing a trip to Glacier in the early fall and then on up to Banff and Lake Louise.

Let us know how you trip goes and what to see and what to avoid.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:36 AM   #16
itaves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8637
Congratulations on your retirement. We're planning to do the same this year...as soon as the house sells. We've had it on the market since October. Had a buyer but contingent upon sale of their house. That didn't happen, so we back to square one! All we can do is keep our fingers crossed that the right one comes along (with money or preapproved loan!) Till then, I keep tabs on this forum to live vicariously through those already enjoying retirement!

We're also looking forward to attending our first MOC rally in Mackinaw...and meeting some of your fine folks!
itaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #17
lcarter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7240
Absolutely! The DW and I will retire in June of 2009. We are planning to take an extended trip to the SW US beginning in late September returning to Virginia in mid-March if the good Lord is willing and the creek don't rise. This extended trip will tease us into deciding yes or no to a full timing kind of attitude.
109 workdays remaining. 84 for the DW.
lcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #18
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
I retired in 2005 and Don retired in 2006. We are full timing now. Took us 2 years to sell the house so we could do this.
Having a great time. It is wonderful to spend winters in south where it is warm.

You should go for it. You only go around this life once.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 PM   #19
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
I am retiring on June 30th this year, after 31 years with the same company (DW has been retired for 8 years). I was (am) a chief engineer for a high rise building in Portland (OR). The BIG factors are, one the company has a good "defined benefit" plan. Two, I also have a good 401K plan. I let the company handle it all, and they guarantee a rate of return each year for the whole year. It's not huge, but much better than what is going on now. It's been stable for the whole 30 years, including even this year. I'm not rich, but I'm "comfortable". Three, and the real BIGGEE, is last year we paid off the house and farm. We own it free and clear. Other than the new 3400, we are going into retirement debt free. But, a lot of it (most of it) I owe to DW. If it weren't for her, I'd probably still be living in my first trailer, with nary a dime to my name!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #20
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Thanks for all the comments. The wife and I thought that we were crazy to stick with our plans in this terrible economy. When we began to plan and save back in the early 70's, I never thought that fuel prices would be what they are. Sure they are are down now, but they will go back up again.

Reading all the comments is very reassuring. See ya all down the road this year!