Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2015, 02:45 PM   #1
Fordplus5er
Established Member

M.O.C. #17346
Sailun: S637 opinions please

Do you folks like these tires? I'm going to put a new set on before our trip to the beach this September. What is the difference in the two Sailun: S637's on this page? http://simpletire.com/catalog?select...atio=85&rim=16 I'd like the GY G614's but don't see that happening for another year or two. Thanks for your opinions!

Fordplus5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:37 PM   #2
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
These tires are getting good reviews by those that have bought them for their RV's. They haven't been around a real long time and there are skeptics. I will say that if I was in the market, I'd consider them strongly due to the cost savings over the G614. I have no idea what the difference is in the 2 tires on that page. The reviews look to be the same ones for each of them.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:05 AM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Only difference I can see is the tread design. What you really want is the lowest rolling resistance one, and that is also the cheaper one.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:18 AM   #4
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
When I clicked your link I was given opportunity to chat with Simple Tire rep. If I were you I would chat with them and ask the difference besides the price. BTW, I plan to replace my Michelin LTs next year with these Sailuns unless they take a turn for the worse.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:29 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I've got about 4 more years before I replace my 614's and I'll be watching how these tires do the whole time. If they hold up as well over time, cost will rule.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:42 AM   #6
awhite
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9988
I have two years on them and no complaints
awhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 10:55 PM   #7
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
I have them and like the price and service for something that is just seasonal.I mean that`s a lot of plan B payments
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 01:15 AM   #8
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sambam

...They haven't been around a real long time and there are skeptics...
That would be me. Last month we had a blow out on the RF tire in our MH. The tire was a Goodyear 670RV, correct size for the weight, not old, properly inflated and going 60 (not speeding). For a few minutes, I had my hands full of motorhome. I don't know anything about these tires, but I do know I had problems with our Chinese made tires on our Montana. If they are Chinese, I would not buy them until they've been around for a while and have a proven good record.
Tires are no place to try to save a few bucks.

On edit...it is now about 12 hours since my original post. I sent an email to Sailun and asked where the tires are made. Their answer was China and a few in Vietnam.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:23 AM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hooker

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sambam

...They haven't been around a real long time and there are skeptics...
That would be me. Last month we had a blow out on the RF tire in our MH. The tire was a Goodyear 670RV, correct size for the weight, not old, properly inflated and going 60 (not speeding). For a few minutes, I had my hands full of motorhome. I don't know anything about these tires, but I do know I had problems with our Chinese made tires on our Montana. If they are Chinese, I would not buy them until they've been around for a while and have a proven good record.
Tires are no place to try to save a few bucks.

On edit...it is now about 12 hours since my original post. I sent an email to Sailun and asked where the tires are made. Their answer was China and a few in Vietnam.

There is no doubt that there are skeptics. I was a skeptic of the G614's , but five years ago they were just about the only game in town . I have had no problems with them in this five years, but I still read about failures with them .

Here is the thing about Sailun S637's, I have yet to read about a failure, has there been any, probably. The thing is you just keep hearing the positive about them.

I know we can get into this made in the USA thing, but thats not even a valid argument today. As I have said a couple times , all the Ford owners with the diesel would have to look elsewhere if they wanted to stay US , and thats just one example of the many many things we buy made somewhere besides the US .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:21 AM   #10
NRA-Girl
Established Member

M.O.C. #17410
"I know we can get into this made in the USA thing, but thats not even a valid argument today.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that statement and I hope that most others don't either. I think that's just defeatist and giving up.

I still try to buy American or partial American as much as I can. It sometimes takes work but I consider it my patriotic duty. When that fails I try to buy goods made by any one of our Allies. Sure my engine was assembled in Mexico. But lets be honest - it was assembled from a lot of American parts and supervised by an American company (Ford) My truck was built in the US and provides hundreds of good paying US jobs!

In any event, If this is my choice I'll gladly support a job in Mexico before I send money to China who is just going to use it all against us in the future. At least a job in Mexico helps to provide stability in our neighbor on our southern border and perhaps means one less person who needs to sneak in to the US.

I just got back from a trip to Yellowstone etc and blew two tires on my 5th wheel. On this - my first long trip - I learned the hard way that Montana uses cheap Chinese pieces of junk on their trailers. All to save a buck. So after the second tire went I realized what was going on and I put Goodyear 614 tires on the trailer. The rest of the way there and back went without tire issues. I didn't ask the tire guy if he could find me a good but cheaper foreign alternative.

I haven't spent a lot of time on this forum, but what I have seen is a recurring theme of people complaining how Montana uses cheap parts to save a buck. Then I see some posters doing the same thing that Montana supposedly is doing. Tires are arguably one of the most important safety parts of the trailer. Why would anyone look to do it "on the cheap"? I certainly don't. I want the best I can find.

BANOSML*

* Buy American Now Or Speak Mandarin Later
One Goodyear Tire at a Time.
NRA-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #11
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
HmmmHmm
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:43 AM   #12
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NRA-Girl

"I know we can get into this made in the USA thing, but thats not even a valid argument today.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with that statement and I hope that most others don't either. I think that's just defeatist and giving up.

I still try to buy American or partial American as much as I can. It sometimes takes work but I consider it my patriotic duty. When that fails I try to buy goods made by any one of our Allies. Sure my engine was assembled in Mexico. But lets be honest - it was assembled from a lot of American parts and supervised by an American company (Ford) My truck was built in the US and provides hundreds of good paying US jobs!

In any event, If this is my choice I'll gladly support a job in Mexico before I send money to China who is just going to use it all against us in the future. At least a job in Mexico helps to provide stability in our neighbor on our southern border and perhaps means one less person who needs to sneak in to the US.

I just got back from a trip to Yellowstone etc and blew two tires on my 5th wheel. On this - my first long trip - I learned the hard way that Montana uses cheap Chinese pieces of junk on their trailers. All to save a buck. So after the second tire went I realized what was going on and I put Goodyear 614 tires on the trailer. The rest of the way there and back went without tire issues. I didn't ask the tire guy if he could find me a good but cheaper foreign alternative.

I haven't spent a lot of time on this forum, but what I have seen is a recurring theme of people complaining how Montana uses cheap parts to save a buck. Then I see some posters doing the same thing that Montana supposedly is doing. Tires are arguably one of the most important safety parts of the trailer. Why would anyone look to do it "on the cheap"? I certainly don't. I want the best I can find.

BANOSML*

Just remember the best you can find doesn't always depend on the price or place of orgin!
Old 06-29-2015, 09:26 AM   #13
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I believe what most people are missing regarding offshore vs made in the USA is Goodyear is an American company, they have chosen to set up a plant in China or at least contract to a plant in China to manufacture their Marathon trailer tires, China did not start producing and shipping a product with the Goodyear name on it on their own. So the fact is those tires can be produced in China or Mexico or wherever, along with many other brands for less money than they can be produced in the US. We cannot blame China for that but we can blame an American company for doing what they have done.

We also tend to forget that a very large portion of the tires sold as OEM or replacement tires for our cars and trucks are made offshore, some of those are excellent tires, as good or better than what is produced in America.

I have Firestone OEM tires on my truck, made in the USA, they are in my opinion low end tires and do not stand up well at all, I would not replace them with the same tire ever.

Also lost in our dislike/disdain for tires produced in China is that a lot of these tires provide good to excellent performance on trailers used in construction, farming and lighter RV's.

I believe the greatest problem is the installation of tires on a RV/Trailer that are at or near maximum capacity and that we insist on towing those trailers in excess of the speed rating along with improper inflation.

If you don't think G614's can and do fail, you are mistaken, they do, but are substantially heavier, have a higher speed rating and carry capacity, because they are not used for the most part on RV's in the volume of other tires we just don't have the same comparison.

If you want to sell a "widgit" and you want to be successful in your business and sell volume numbers, where are you going to produce that "widgit", will you try to produce them in America and fail miserably or will you seek to have them built offshore like most manufacturers are doing. We just cannot produce product for the same price, this takes away jobs and money earned and spent in America, simple but sadly true.

JMHO

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:34 PM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The bottom line to me is that my OEM Chinese tires were junk. When I changed them, I opted for US made LT tires. The Chinese made tires still do not have a sterling reputation...until they do, I'll not be buying them.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:01 AM   #15
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

BANOSML*

Thats some great rationalization . How many jobs do you think it cost american workers when ford went to Mexico. Probably the only reason they went to Mexico instead of China was shipping costs.

I am far from a defeatist , but there is a reality here if you haven't noticed . Maybe you have some solution you could share. For starters not buying that ford truck with the Mexican made motor . I hate to inform you ,but lost jobs on tires or motors, or regardless of country is lost jobs. Slice it anyway you like , but it comes up the same.

The key words here are " much as we can " until its something we want such as a Ford truck, then we go to rationalization.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #16
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
I see them going for approximately 160 each shipped to your house. Compaired to the the marathons that most of us have already purchased, in my opinion you can't go wrong! I've had the sailuns on now for a little over two years and 5 thousand miles and they look like the day I mounted them.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #17
NRA-Girl
Established Member

M.O.C. #17410
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

Thats some great rationalization . How many jobs do you think it cost american workers when ford went to Mexico. Probably the only reason they went to Mexico instead of China was shipping costs.

I am far from a defeatist , but there is a reality here if you haven't noticed . Maybe you have some solution you could share. For starters not buying that ford truck with the Mexican made motor . I hate to inform you ,but lost jobs on tires or motors, or regardless of country is lost jobs. Slice it anyway you like , but it comes up the same.

The key words here are " much as we can " until its something we want such as a Ford truck, then we go to rationalization.

Wow! It sounds like someone has their panties synched down too tight. Did not mean for you to lose bloodflow to the middle extremities. Its not good for the love life.

I honestly did not know that my Ford motor was made in Mexico. If I knew that I would have gone a different route and bought something different. Next time (if there is a next time) I will. I'm really not trying to rationalize anything. I try to buy as much American (or allied) as i can. Period. I honestly try to put my money where my mouth is. Am I perfect - No - . sometimes I actually buy something and then find out part of it was made elsewhere. Its part of the times that we live in. So please forgive me for that. I can only try to be better and count on you big boys to show me where I slip.

My point about Mexican jobs was simply that if the choice was between sending money to Mexico or China - I'll take Mexico anyway. I mean really..... China?????

Meanwhile loosen up those panties and take a blue pill to help restore some of that bloodflow. You will feel much better.

BANOSML

One Goodyear Tire at a Time.
NRA-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:16 PM   #18
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PSFORD99

Wow! It sounds like someone has their panties synched down too tight. Did not mean for you to lose bloodflow to the middle extremities. Its not good for the love life.

I honestly did not know that my Ford motor was made in Mexico. If I knew that I would have gone a different route and bought something different. Next time (if there is a next time) I will. I'm really not trying to rationalize anything. I try to buy as much American (or allied) as i can. Period. I honestly try to put my money where my mouth is. Am I perfect - No - . sometimes I actually buy something and then find out part of it was made elsewhere. Its part of the times that we live in. So please forgive me for that. I can only try to be better and count on you big boys to show me where I slip.

My point about Mexican jobs was simply that if the choice was between sending money to Mexico or China - I'll take Mexico anyway. I mean really..... China?????

Meanwhile loosen up those panties and take a blue pill to help restore some of that bloodflow. You will feel much better.

BANOSML

I had to laugh ,that was great,but I really would like to know how you cinch up your panties . Well I assume you know ,but then I'm not sure how you swing, so thats up for debate.

Back to the program, I really would like to know what truck you would have bought if not Ford if you knew about the motor. Ram would be out its owned by Fiat . GM might be an option ,but doubtful . Your truck days may be over on the next one.

Anyway this debate if you will, will really go no where. I am done, get in the last word, and this can end.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #19
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Johnnyg

I see them going for approximately 160 each shipped to your house. Compaired to the the marathons that most of us have already purchased, in my opinion you can't go wrong! I've had the sailuns on now for a little over two years and 5 thousand miles and they look like the day I mounted them.

I have asked several times about any failures, and to date have yet to hear of any. Many are running them.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:56 AM   #20
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Well, let's see. Ford engines from Mexico and I believe Ram is assembled there too. All that leaves is...............never mind. I'll NEVER get THAT desperate for a new ride!

Baaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha, Just kidding.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote