Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Campgrounds Durango, CO?

Sometime in June we are going to be visiting CO. Since we are train buffs, Durango is a must. So, does anyone have a suggestion for a RV park near or in Durango. We also want to tour the Denver Mint sometime in June. Any suggestions there? Any suggestions for other "hot" spots in CO. We plan on spending 3 or 4 months there in different places each month.
Thank you for all your suggestions.
Happy trails..............................

Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Since you are train buffs, the Cumbres & Toltec Steam Train is also not to be missed. It runs from Antonito, CO (just south of Alamosa) to Chama, NM.
I have not ridden the Durango-Silverton train so can't compare the two. But some friends who have ridden both said that, while both were great, they liked the Cumbres & Toltec better.
We stay at Fun Valley Family RV Resort just west of South Fork a few weeks every year, including late June this coming summer. But that is a long way from Durango.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Sue, we stayed at United Campground in Durango last September. The train to Silverton runs right through the campground. Sites are a bit crowded for my tastes, but it is very conveniently located.

You might want to see some of my photos from that trip:

http://dwilliamson.com/nmco/nmco.html

This photo was taken from the United Campground as the train was returning to Durango:

http://dwilliamson.com/nmco/005_jpg.html

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
rphoward
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4471
I have to second the recommendation for the Cumbres & Toltec train ride. We took the whole-day trip, being bussed back to the train station from the end of the line. Some folks go to the lunch stop and then head back. It was absolutely wonderful. We stayed at the campground right by the train station and then enjoyed the train going by every day.

We equally enjoyed the Durango ride and of course had to ride up and down the canyon. It's a different experience but equally fantastic for this train buff. Can't recall the name of the campground in Durgano, other than it was north of town. The train did go by the campground if that helps at all.

Durango and Chama both have quilts stores or did when we were there.

While in Denver we took a day trip to ride the Georgetown Loop. Different from the other two rides, but we'd heard so much about this ride we couldn't not do it when we were so close.
rphoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
We stayed at Loghtner Creek http://www.coloradovacation.com/camp/lightner/ back in June of 2006.

It is a little tight but they have both pull thru and back in sites. We were right on the creek. Very nice and quiet. Only a few minutes from town.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sue,

Our Dealer is in Durango (Tarpley) so we have been to Durango quite a bit, but we always elect to stay on the east side of Wolf Creek Pass. There are dozens of beautiful campgrounds along the river there. It's a bit of a drive back to Durango (1 hr maybe) but if you're staying there for a while it might be worth it. Otherwise, I'm not aware of what Durango has. There are some real "dogs" around there, so get as much advice as you can. Also, Tarpley RV would probably be more than happy to give you some leads. They give out free nights at the local campgrounds to do your PDI, but I don't know who they use. (We bought in Jan when everything was closed).

In Denver, I would recommend the State Parks (Chatfield or Cherry Creek). They are nice lake parks close to town and have nice sites. About half are full 50A hookups. There are also nice private RV parks south of Denver (Monument - Castle Rock) but I guess because I live here I never tried to stay at one.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #7
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Sue.. we stayed at the Alpen Rose about 10 yrs ago in a smaller rig. I am sure it has changed a lot, but it was a nice park. The Durango to Silverton train runs up the valley to the east of it. We took that train ride and enjoyed it immensely. The only problem was in the open car, one of us got a cinder in the eye. Silverton was fun to explore. Mesa Verde is about an hour from there to the west and a good day trip.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
You guys are making me want to just up and retire now and not wait the 5 years for my wife to retire. The Durango-Silverton train has been on my bucket list for a long time. David and Shirley thanks for the great pictures. Brad do you have Tarpley's website or e-mail to contact them for suggested parks in the area? Thanks to you all for keeping the dream alive.

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:48 AM   #9
tjuhl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7213
Another vote for United on the north side of Durango just off 550. WiFi and cable worked great. Our trailer was about 100 feet from the tracks. Two trains came steaming through in the morning and returned late afternoon.
tjuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Tarpleys in Durango is at www.tarpleyrv.com The phone is Toll Free: 800-356-8701.

Stop in and grab a Montana while you're there - I did
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Thanks Brad. I will keep that in the can't wait until file. We will defiantly be talking to them sometime in the next 5 years. Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
Texas5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7143
Have stayed in the Durango Riverside Resort when it was Durango KOA North. Camped right on the Animas River bank with the rushing water gurgling by. Great place then and I have heard the new management has made a lot of improvements. Would stay there again. It is further out of Durango than most of the others.
I have stayed at Alpen Rose in the older RV section with shade. The newer RV area is not shaded. I would stay there again also.
I also encourage you to take the Cumbres Toltec RR trip as well as the Durango-Silverton trip. We took the train up and bussed back on the DSRR. We stayed in Chama, NM and took the CTRR train from Chama to Antonito, Co and bussed back. The train stays overnight and returns from Antonito to Chama the next day. You can get on in either Chama or Antonito. Both are great trips.
Spend some time at Mesa Verde National Park. We took the bus tour and got a great narritive of the area from our bus driver.
Check out Ouray, Co. Little Switzerland they call it. Beautiful place. Took a miners tour of a silver mine. Tour took us in about a mile into the mine. Hot mineral springs there also.
Creede, Co and Lake City, Co are other neat place to go.
Texas5er is offline   Reply With Quote