Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2006, 06:58 AM   #1
Montana_5802

M.O.C. #5802
Montana vs. Mountaineer

Which one is better?

Montana_5802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:28 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The Montana is just a step above the Mountaineer but both are quality rigs.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Like Glenn said, the Montana has more bells and whistles. I talked to Keystone corp a few weeks ago. The guy said the Montana and the Everest are tied as top of the line, with the Mountaineer coming in under the Montana, and the Challenger coming in under the Everest. Next in the Keystone line are the Cougar and the Outback...tied.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:33 AM   #4
countrygirl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2831
While in Panama City, Fl. recently...where we purchased our Montana 4 years ago, we just happened to stop in
the Dealership to browse around and see what was new. We did not look at the new Montanas, but we did look at a couple of Mountaineers...AND, they are beautiful. I couldn't believe how they have really brought that model up to the level that it is. The finishing work in those trailers is beautiful and they have some features that the Montana does not have anymore. I am talking about the sliding door between the bedroom and the bath. The Mountaineer does have that feature. Not only that, there are two sinks in the bath area, one in the shower area and one in the commode area. I think that is a real plus for the Mountaineer. What it doesn't have is the cap on the back of the trailer. Just thought that I would share this with you. I have to say that I really liked what I saw.
Countrygirl or Shirley
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Shirley,

We looked at a dealership in Fort Myers Florida and found the same thing. We even found a Mounaineer that had a bunk bed area that we thought about making into an office. I still like the color schemes on the Montanas better.

They had the new Montana 3600RL and it was wonderful, but we didn't like where the TV was located, plus it is heavier. After looking at all of the Montana floor plans we still ended back to the one that I fell in love with in 2004. It just took us a while to be sure that was what we wanted.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
Montana_5802

M.O.C. #5802
Thanks for all the help. We are leaning more to the montana. I do like the fact that the Mountaineer had two sinks. That is one thing we will miss when we hit the road.
Montana_5802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 12:09 PM   #7
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I think that they've really improved the Mountaineer over the past few years and as mentioned it's almost an equal these days.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 06:52 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The Mountaineer is a very impressive rig. At the last RV Show we were at that included a Keystone Exec I asked about Montana, Everest, and Mountaineer. He said all have been upgraded and the Mountaineer is now what the Montana was three years ago (at that time). He also said the Montana and Everest have equal budgets but spend the budget differently. The Everest spends more in what he termed "eye candy", which I take to mean the visible features such as cabinetry, carpets, etc. Montana spends more on structural quality and includes things the Everest does not have, such as roof vents to vent moisture. Therfore, my conclusion (and this is just my conclusion) is the Everest is "nicer" appearing but the Montana is better suited to hard use. Again, just my conclusion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:39 PM   #9
JohnAprilandMeagan
Established Member

M.O.C. #5303
As you will see in my signature pic - I own a recently purchased mountaineer 329 RLT. The above comments are correct in terms on the Montana having more upscale "stuff" like the slides can be individually selected, the hookup station, two tvs, corian countertops, other structural improvements, etc. These things are not available on the Mountaineer (at least not 3 months ago when we purchased) but don't discount the Mountaineer considering the price differences as the Mountaineer is priced quite a bit lower. I spent a lot of time researching and reading this board for over 5 months getting smarter and have camped for years in a 5ver. Pricing and the bathroom/shower room fully enclosed separate from the bedroom was really the tie breaker for us. In terms of comfort and functionality we love ours. Not trying to start a "which is better" debate (only you can decide that) but thought you might want to hear from a Mountaineer owner. I think you will be very impressed with whatever you get.
JohnAprilandMeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:00 PM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If I was ready for a new rig I would have a very tough time trying to decide between a Monty and a Mounty. I have been through most floor plans in both and for the most part the Mountaineer is right up there with the Monty. Having an early 2004 Montana I see what they are talking about when they say "the Mountaineer is now what the Montana was three years ago". In a few years I can see me dragging a Mountaineer around.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I didn't realize the Mountaineer has the bathroom shower and vanity are totally separate from the bedroom in the new Mountaineers. That's how our 2003 Montana is and I know the new Montanas do not have that. That and the absence of solid doors between bedroom and bath are two major things keeping us from moving to a new Montana. As with JohnAprilandMeagan, those are a deal breaker for us.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:44 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Thanks, Steve R., that is exactly the way we feel. And it is the reason we are still driving with a four year old Montana. We prefer the model we have to the later models. When we have mentioned our desire for the doors between the bedroom and bath area, our Montana salesmen and representatives have pointed us to the Mountaineer Edition -- and we are favorably impressed.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:51 AM   #13
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
We have a 2004 RLS315 Mountaineer TT and having talked with our sales rep recently we are glad we bought it when we did. The new models nolonger have many of the things that were the basis for choosing this line. I don't know if this is the same for the 5th wheels.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 08:57 AM   #14
Montana_5701
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5701
We will set foot in our first Montana on June 9. I have owned a Fleetwood Wilderness for 5 years and after looking at all the Montana's / Everests / Mountaineer it is the 3400 RL that I nearly melted on. I haven't posted any pics or stats yet until the 3400 is back at home.
Montana_5701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #15
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
We have the Mountaineer 328RLS and love it. Have seen some older Montana's and the trim level is about the same.
Mountaineer is a lot of "Bang for the Buck" Another thing to keep in mind if you are going to buy a used Montana... you can buy a new Mountaineer for nearly the same price.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:54 PM   #16
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
How could you go wrong with either one?? They both have their ups and downs, you just have to find the one that best suits your needs.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:00 AM   #17
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
As you can tell from my signature pic we bought a Mountaineer 348RLS. My dealer sold both lines and we looked at them all and bought the floorplan that we liked best. The Montana line was a little higher for the same length but really close.

Get what works for you and makes your camping experience really special.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:58 AM   #18
slewis
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5841
We just took our 2006 Mountaineer out for the first time over Memorial Day holiday. We did alot of research and many trips through various FW's and found that the 329RLT had the floor plan we wanted. So far we are happy with our choice. We love the cabinetry, color and everything about our unit. However, does anybody know why the designers put the outside electric outlet on the slide out and not under the awning? And why not an outlet in the "basement"? I think I'll send a suggestion to their design team regarding these two things. Would love to hear from other Mountaineer owners.....
Sandy
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:16 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On our Montana 3400 the outside outlet is also on the main slideout and if you look on the inside in the same place you will find a electrical outlet there..It was handy and cost effective that's why it is there. bet the same with your mountaineer. Outlet in the basement would add a few extra $ to the maunfacturing cost again cost effective..It will not be hard to find some 110 and run a line yourself.Making those little personal modifications is part of the fun of Rv ownership
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:02 AM   #20
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
My Mounty has an outside plug on the non-slide section. I guess it depends on the model where they put things.

Adding personal touches makes it YOUR home.

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote