Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Placing Sat receiver in 3455

Does anyone have a suggestion about placing a Sat receiver on a 3455?
I have a Dish 722. it's too tall to fit the slot where the DVR sits.
It's too wide to go in the side cabs.
I have it sitting on shelf that's on the top of the TV (TV is motor mounted with small coutertop) but that is actually too shallow.
Has anyone modified the top cabinet where the left right and center speakers are housed?
It looks like some major surgery to house it??

brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 02:54 AM   #2
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
I looked at pics of this unit...what's behind that panel above the current dvr? The rail across, right above the dvr...can you feel pocket screw slots behind there? More importantly, what's that panel made of...I can't tell by the pics. If that's dead space up there, maybe you can shorten that panel and raise the rail. Dunno, haven't seen one in person. I supposed you could mount it under the upper cabinet, but when the tv is raised it looks like you might not have enough space. Just some thoughts from a cabinet maker, going only off of pics.
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I don't know your exact dimensions but I have a Direct tv system too. I put mine above the TV, in side the cabinet, slightly behind it. On my monty, there is some indented room inside the top of the TV cabinet. I used a small wire basket, hung it from the inside of the cabinet and placed the receiver in it. The space looks too small but it is not. I can see the "photo sensor" on the receiver just fine with the controller. Works great.
To get to where I could use the hand controller well, I had to shim the receiver with some pieces of plywood, painted black, then I used some long electrical tie wraps to secure the receiver to the basket.
For the basket we went to Office Depot. Got a wire letter basket and four of the stacking legs. Reversed the legs to mount to the top of the basket, wire tied them at each corner, and then used short bolts to fasted the legs to the cabinet from above.

Maybe some version of that could help you. Good luck!
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ken, on ours, I just set it on top of the tv. I did drill a hole thru the cabinet bottom to allow the cable to come down from the wall hookup.
Be careful when drilling the hole, you have wires running between the two layers. Start small and then ream big enough to get the cable end thru.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Thanks for the suggestions. I wound up taking the grill off above the DVR. There was a piece of paneling that supported the left right and center speaker. I removed it and moved the left and right speakers and hung them under the cabinet. The sat receiver fits nicely in that hole.

Only problem is that I couldn't run a second HDMI cable. The wiring runs through the bottom of the cabinet, then down the side wall on the left of the TV. The chase is so tight, I couldn't run another wire. So I bought a HDMI switch that allowed me to plug the SAT and DVR into the switch and then to the TV. Problems solved. Thanks!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote