Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Trip Planning

I am sure this has been discussed before so I did a search but didn’t find anything.

All of our camping trips, past three years, have been less the 500 miles, one way so we made it in one day and had campground reservations. Some of the campgrounds have been better and some worse then expected from their website information.

I have my GPS map software on my PC along with the Travel Life map program that has the campgrounds included and I am using it for my planning. We also belong to Good Sams and I use there site for planning.

We are planning a two week stay in FL in June. We plan on visiting friends in two different places in FL and plan to reserve sites for those days ahead of time. While on the road to FL I plan to stop after three to four hundred miles and spend the night. The Travel Life and Good Sams programs show me when to stop and what campgrounds are in the area. Does this sound like a good way to do things, too organized? Do you make reservations for all you stops are just call the day you plan to stop or just pull in? How do you guys plan your trips? I don’t like surprises.

Microsoft website has a new MAP program that lets you zoom in and you can flip from map to aerial view and see campgrounds in detail, trees, campers etc. I was able to zoom in on the block our friends live on in FL and blow it up so only six homes were in the picture. I called them and asked which house was theirs. You can even pan around all four angles. I think it gives us a leg up on going to a new campground concerning trees etc. Some maps can zoom in more then others. Give it a try

Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Cyrus,
I have posted previously about Microsfot Live Map and I use it extensively when we are traveling. We do all of our trips by just traveling and when I get close to being tired, Earlene will fire up the laptop and/or the thick books, and start looking for a CG. If we know for sure that there is a specific area we want to stop at we will most likely make a reservation the day before, but we don't really like to plan that way unless it is a known nice area and we want to stay a few days. For just day hoping, we do it on the fly.

Edited: Oh! Once your fire up MS Live Map and zoom to an area, just type in the word "campground," or "RV Park," or "Camping," without the quotes in the live search box.

I use Microsoft Streets and Trips for a planning software, along with MS Maps. MS S&T will take you right to live search.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
Waynem,
Thanks for the additional info on Live Map.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Some times days don't go as you might hope, travel delays, traffic situations, stuff just happens

Depending on the time of year, etc, off season, heavy travel season, we like to kinda wing it.

So, do sorta like WayneM says, when we decide how the day is going, how the weather is, how we feel, we judge how much further we want to go, and then start with the cell phone, are you open, do you have a site, we will arrive at X hour.

During busy travel times, we adjust, maybe call earlier in the day, or even wayyyyyy ahead of time.

When all else fails - - PUNT!!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I just checked MicrosoftLive map for one of our favourite campgrounds, and guess what, we are in the image! If you go to Gulf State Park, Gulf Shores, AL. Zoom in on bird's eye view, and follow Campground Rd to the end loop, then count back 5 sites on the south side, that's us, and the Chev. Avalanche parked behind is our friend's. Amazing detail!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:32 AM   #6
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Cyrus,
We use a more "low tech" approach. DW and navigator looks at the map, pulls out the Trailer Life Directory and looks for CGs near where we plan to stop. Then she checks their TL ratings etc. We have found them to be relative but reflective of what to expect. She then calls to inquire via cell phone. Adding your high tech mapping etc. will add the notorious dimension of "How close to the RR tracks!" Whatever, I'm sure you'll find a system that works for you. Safe travels.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Cyrus, We don’t move without reservations. I don’t want to be looking for a CG while enroute so we always call ahead. Also, we don’t trust cell phones to work “all the time” and therefore be without reservations. I pulled into one CG in Canada and no space, had to pull out and go further. I said then I would not do that again and haven’t. I also never know for sure what is going on in the local community at any particular time and have seen these places fill up rather quickly for large events. We had reservations at one in WA and when we got there it was half full. We called a friend of ours who has a TT and invited him down for the weekend, come to find out the place was booked and they were having a volleyball tournament on the beach and every spot, including tent spots were taken. I was glad we inquired once we got a hold of our friends or they would have come for nothing. Everyone has a different way of doing things, perhaps with a little more experience on the road we will relax this policy somewhat.. Whatever you choose, happy RV’ing and be safe!!!

BTW: We use Thousand Trails preserves, Corps of Engineer Parks, Military Fam Camps, Resort Parks International, Passport America, Escapees, then Good Sam, then KOA. Then, once we have a place and a CG we go to Google Maps and DW plans the trip and rest stops. We also use our in-dash GPS once we get close, however sometimes it differs from our Google instructions. We also use the Truckers Atlas to be sure our routing is safe for us, especially heights.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:46 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We're almost the exact opposite of Phil and Kathy. We seldom make reservations. We prefer to start out in the direction we've chosen and when we start getting tired we start looking for a place an hour or so in front of us. Use the book and chose a place. Give them a call and see if they've got a spot.

We've NEVER had any trouble finding a place using this method; Even at the height of the season. The only exceptions are holidays. But we seldom travel on holidays so that is not a problem. We did get caught once at Laughlin because we did not know the motorcycle group was coming into town! You don't want to be there when they are there anyway! It is a rough group of folks. Couple of years ago they had several people killed. They've really cracked down on them since then.

We love the freedom of not having to keep to a schedule just to keep a reservation. We did that on a trip back east and it nearly killed us. Took us a week to recuperate.

Cyrus you just have to decide what works for you and do it. It doesn't really matter what the rest of us do..... what makes you happy is what you should do.

And whatever you do ...... Enjoy it! This is such a great lifestyle.

Travel safely,

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Only been full time for 5 years now. Just made our FIRST reservation for two weeks in Pahrump (free nights). Guess we will just keep on like we have always done. We travel with a FULL water tank so we can pull over most anywhere for a night.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We never move without Reservations, and always go less than 300 miles, unless in a emergency like Jan 2007. We had to leave Casa Grande Arizona and only stopped two time. Had to get fuel once and I took two short nap for a total of 6 hrs, ran a total of 1,675 miles.

Delaine has one plan for next winter (Texas), and know were we will stop for the night and will make those reservations about two month prior to the departure date. But we do no Wally Docking or parking lots, just prefer full hook-ups.

We will also make a plan for Arizona, but we will have reservations which ever direction we go. By doing reservations we know were we are going and that we will have a site. And by traveling less than 300 miles a day, we are on the road by 8:00 am and in a RV park before 4:00 p.m. That way we don't have to set down in the dark or move before day light. Again its a choice we like, others don't. I could never understand why someone with a RV is on the road after dark, we will never be on the road after dark unless its a emergency. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #11
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
I appreciate your responses. I am surprised I was expecting to see a majority for planning and reservations. Since I retired 12 years ago I have kept the number of commitments down to Dr. appointments, functions I really wanted to go to and the good old if it’s pretty tomorrow I am going fishing.

We are commented to the first stop of our trip. Our daughter gave us paid reservations for fathers day weekend at a campground where she and her family will be. After that I think we will make the trip to FL without commitments and see how that goes. You would think heading south in the summer it should not be a problem anyway?

Thanks again for the help/advice.