Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2007, 03:26 PM   #1
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
construction pictures 3670RL

It would be nice if Keystone had a detailed picture series of a Montana being built. That way we could see how the steel frame is attached to the aluminum frame..how everything is secured so if we have a problem with frame flex..like I am having..we could maybe figure out where the trouble might be. Or if we wanted to see how the hydraulics work, and where the electrical lines are we could see it. It would have to be for each specific model, but it may save many calls to the factory. I have the 2003 3670RL and have several issues with this 5th wheel.

Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:25 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I AGREE! Can someone take pictures when touring the plant, then share?????
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 04:59 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Well - Keystone would never take the pictures, or they would have to ask all the workers to dress up like "old world craftsman" that day.

Great idea though.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 07:15 AM   #4
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
That would be nice, but it'll never happen. We can't even get a decent, up to date owner's manual.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
If you look at the pictures from the 2007 Fall Rally there are some pictures there that people took touring the factory. I can't recall right now just what all is there but it might give you and idea.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #6
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I just looked at the 2007 pics, and didn't see what I was looking for. I suspect I have some self tapping bolts sheared off, and my frame is flexing on the right side only. I am going to wait until there is a rapid warm up, and can see the frame outline with the dew on the outside and take some pictures. That way I can see where the vertical members are, and where to drill for new bolts...and NUTS to re-attach everything back together. I will be adding steel plates on the top of the aluminum frame also.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:03 AM   #7
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Looks like what happened to ours. There was a gap from the bottom of the trim on the right side of the coach, next to the propane container right up under the overhang on the bdrm. The gap was bigger at the bottom but the caulking was split on the overhang area. Keystone did the fix at the service centre. We were out of warranty also. They ended up taking the front cap off and the bottom of the bdrm. and reinforcing the hitch and refastening the sidewalls. They also did a retrofit on the bdrm. slide.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:44 AM   #8
jars
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1529
What would wrong sending a secmatic with every unit. But they
will not do that either.
Dick Smith
jars
jars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 03:09 AM   #9
Larry and Sharon
Established Member

M.O.C. #21
Mine too. I have the same issue,right side. I have already had the side support that was very poorly welded,rewelded and now have the flex thing.
Larry and Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #10
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I am a do it yourselfer guy, and will be darned if this thing will beat me. I am going to put some grade 5 bolts up through the frame, through the Aluminum frame, and some steel plates on the top of the aluminum frame, and bolt it all together. I have removed the bottom front covering at least twice now, and have never found a broken weld. I see the 2007factory photos have a piece of wood stuck in the aluminum square tube to stiffen it. Must be very thin stock for them to do that. Too bad they can't get it RIGHT at some point and be done with all the complaints. They would sell more units, and all the bad mouthing would cease..maybe?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Rog

I am a do it yourselfer guy, and will be darned if this thing will beat me. I am going to put some grade 5 bolts up through the frame, through the Aluminum frame, and some steel plates on the top of the aluminum frame, and bolt it all together. I have removed the bottom front covering at least twice now, and have never found a broken weld. I see the 2007factory photos have a piece of wood stuck in the aluminum square tube to stiffen it. Must be very thin stock for them to do that. Too bad they can't get it RIGHT at some point and be done with all the complaints. They would sell more units, and all the bad mouthing would cease..maybe?
You should post this in the "Hey Keystone" thread at the bottom of the forum. From what I hear, they (Keystone) read it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:56 PM   #12
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Call me crazy, but here is an idea. At the Spring Rally in Goshen, everyone is required to take the factory tour and take pictures of how everything is put together. Then we share share al the pictures between the Montana owners. Might not get all the diffrent types of models, but is sure might lend a good idea on how and what the Montana is put together.
I"m sure it would help the do-it-your-self guys or even the problem solvers on there units rather than call the factory all the time.
Ozz, charge those camera batteries.
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #13
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Lots of people do get their units fixed, but they take it to a dealer/repair station, and next thing they know....its fixed. They have no idea what transpired, or if anything much was done to solve the problem. Yes, it would be great to see exactly where the welds are breaking, bolts are, how things are made. I think they start out with basic frames, and bodys, and they are common to all. Then after that, everything changes. We need to know where the hydraulic hoses are, wiring harnesses are...how the tank sensors are mounted, and how to clean them, what the rear end of the frame looks like incase some one wants to weld a hitch on..etc..get my drift? That is a great idea to have everyone do at least one unit and post the pics in an easy to find place on the MOC site.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:18 AM   #14
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
It sounds like that "old world craftsman" working on the R/H side took a week or two off and nobody did his job !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:38 AM   #15
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
mmmmm???

Spring Rally in Goshen??

Me thinks it is FALL Rally in Goshen.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Just think, with no schematics or diagrams or manuals that mean anything, we are forced (at least some of us) to return our units to dealers for repairs. Sounds like job security to me. Plus with none of the above the manuf cannot be held to any particular standards, i.e. use a wire nut here, a piece of elect tape there, a number 8 screw here a number 6 there, a 2 x 2 here and 1 x 2 there, I think you get my drift........, Of course, I may be way off base here also.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #17
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
Ya, I get your drift. I had it apart today, and found most of the self tapping screws were either loose, or stripped. I installed carriage bolts all the way though with lock nuts, washers, and blue thread locker. It should be better than new. I couldn't do all that I wanted because the plywood is bonded to the aluminum frame, and didn't want to break that bond in too many places. I also doubled the self tappers with longer, bigger ones, with finer thread..also with thread locker on them. Should be good to go...at least on the right side..will check the left side next week.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I'm at the Dealer now Phil. Just by looking around I don't think anybody here is getting rich fixing these things, nor do I think they even like doing it. I think they would much rather just sell them and never see them again.

Warranty work is even worse. The factory gives them an authorized dollar figure and they have to work within it. Often they loose money for more complex fixes like the frame flex.

Interesting - this place sells multiple brands including Big Horn, the Montana competitor. I asked if one ended up better that the other and was a little surprised at the answer. He says in reality, one can never be better than the other. To be competetive, they both continuously add features to catch your eye, but at the same time they are continuously looking for ways to construct them cheaper so they can under price the competitor. Once one finds a way to build cheaper, the other quickly follows. There is almost no incentive out there to build better. The sticker price is the first thing a consumer looks for, not the way it is wired or how the belly is attached or what brand of tires they use.

He says you can look at the higher priced units, but they are only assemblies of better and more goodies, not higher quality in construction.

Good news is, Keystone far outperforms the others with availability of parts. He said some of the other manufacturers are so bad for parts, he ends up fabricating replacements through local vendors.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 02:27 PM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Brad..That is a great post. "He says you can look at the higher priced units, but they are only assemblies of better and more goodies, not higher quality in construction. " This says it all..

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote