Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC / Florida Region
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #1
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
CB Radios

I am thinking of possibly getting a CB radio just prior to our extended travel coming up in January. Would like to have some thoughts on having one with all the new technology around today.

Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I haven't had one in a few years. But unless it has changed, channel 19 is about the only channel used, except that some local clubs may use a few other. And channel 19 out on the highway can quickly get pretty annoying if you get near some of the rather loose mouthed users on the road.

Can be good if you travel with several others and want to have basically instant communication with all in the group. Then you can use some side channel to eliminate all the other "noise".

Can also be good on that rare occasion when there is a traffic problem somewhere down the road by monitoring 19. But not worth it to me putting up with all the raw talk to get that little info.

Channel 13 used to be monitored in some areas for emergency situations. But not sure that is done anymore.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #3
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
We still use them because as we normally travel in pairs at a minumum. Great way to communicate as to what is happening ahead and/or notification that one unit needs to stop for a break. When we travel as a group we'll monitor channel 4 or 5 and that works very well.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If you do not have a weather radio, some CBs also have the weather frequencies.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have a cheap Radio Shack CB w/weather. It's all I need to communicate with anyone close by. If running with another couple(s) it also does the job. No need to buy a CB with all the latest bells and whistles. 40 Channel with weather is all you need and of course a good antenna.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use them when we travel. For this Florida trip we have one in both the truck and Honda. IMO the objectionable chatter is not near what it once was years ago. Most of the truckers use them to ease the boredom and most are not foul mouthed.. There is always the exception. We see them as another tool to aid in travel. We also have Family radio's on board, Cell phones, GPS, Sat radio, Laptop Compter..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:04 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I know of three channels which are commonly used - 19 (for truckers) 9 (for emergencies) and a channel that RVers use, but I can't remember the channel (15, or 16 or 17).

CBs are good for caravanning with two or more. The range will be enough to cover from the first to last vehicle. The advantage is that you can communicate with more than one at a time and usually doesn't have the cellphone connection and point-to-point limitations. If you are connected to your TV's power then you don't have power outages either.

There were a few forum topics a few months ago discussing the needs of CBs a few months ago. I recall it was agreed that MOCers with CBs would monitor CH19 and when greeting each other on the road (flashing headlights) could use CH19 to make initial voice contact, then optionally pick another CH for more privacy. Unfortunately, if going in opposite directions that doesn't leave a whole lot of time for a long conversation before you're out of range.

FMRS radios do almost as well and you typically buy these in pairs, to loan to the other rig. The problem with these is they can go through batteries if you are with folks who like to chatter a lot, unless you have external power sources. The range doesn't seem to be as good when caravanning through hills and you get separated.

DW and I have all of the above, cellphones, FMRS radios and a CB. My only regret is the CB is physically too large where it fits under the dash. We're happy having all the choices. Other MOC members are better off because they also have wireless internet devices or active laptops when traveling.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
We use some small hand held radios that only have about a two mile range. We just put in fresh batteries and leave them on all day. In the spring we change the batteries for the trip home.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:33 PM   #9
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
You can also get CBs that have all the controls in the microphone so that you can mount the box in a convenient location. All you have to deal with is a long mike cord.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:10 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I use a Radio Shack hand held that comes with a Cig Lighter power cord. I do not have an outside antenna, and since I'm all fiberglass, except for the frame, I do not have an outside antenna even though the factory makes one for the RV.

What I plan on doing is getting a magnetic mount and putting it on the frame, horizontally. We used to do this in the trunk of cars when we did not want to drill holes or mar the surface and it worked well. Range will be more limited than an outside antenna, but it will get you 2+ miles down the highway.

They also make glass mount antennas, and though not quite as efficient as permanently mounted antennas that provide a good ground plane, will still work for what you intend and 2+ more miles down the highway.

The Radio Shack hand held has priority channels, scanning of the channels, and 5 or 6 weather band frequencies.

Good luck.

Edited: Cobra also makes a good CG radio, both mobil and hand held.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I know of three channels which are commonly used - 19 (for truckers) 9 (for emergencies) and a channel that RVers use, but I can't remember the channel (15, or 16 or 17).
Art,
As I recall, channel 14 is one that a lot of RVers use, especially when caravaning. There's too much interference with 19 if RVers use 19 when in a caravan. Channel 14 is little used and once in a while I monitor it and pick up RVers every now and then.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Umpteen thousand years ago, when rules and regulations were enforced, Channel 11 was the calling channel. Once contact was establish there were 23 other channels to go to. (Now 40)
My call sign back then was KDQ-8400 licensed by the FCC.

Art, this would be an opportunity to set up a MOC channel. With the new technology, some radios have a priority button that will switch to a channel designated as priority when there is activity on it. So a person could be hauling down the road, listening the the truckers, and a MOC channel that came active would switch the receiver to that frequency.

Channel 9 is still used for emergency communications, and you will find some state police monitoring that channel. So, with 9 and 19 being used, that leaves 38 other channels that could be MOC'ers.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:37 AM   #13
IAMontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #9670
As far as the original question, the best recomendation would greatly depend on several things that was not mentioned in your post such as what size of area you want to cover, what do you want to use the radio for such as close conversations or long distance talking this would determine wether you need a smaller radio for local talk or a radio with ham or side band channels you also need to determine the amount of space you can dedicate to radio and what type of antena you can use. Do you want weather radio capabilities? there are a lot of good options out there but you first need to answer some of these questions.
IAMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Threw mine in the trash because thats all a person hears on them is TRASH TALK. they have hand held walkie talkies that are just about as good as a CB for short range communications. I have Serous radio which has weather and some Hwy reports.
Oh yes my FCC Lic back in the early 70's ( KFK-7803 ) putting power to the tower.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We are 750 miles into our trip to Florida. We have CB in the car and truck. have not come across a single trash talking trucker yet. Helen likes to chatter and has not had a problem with anyone.. We are not big users of CB but CB has changed over the years.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #16
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I'll refrase that statement a differant way Rich,
1st I wasnt refering to truckers and I dont even think I mentioned them " because thats all a person hears on them is TRASH TALK " It should say " because thats all a person hears on them is TRASH TALK from young adults and some older ones " which are mostly on base stations not mobel.
If it's not skip pluging your ears its the foul mouths out there.
I guess most of your travels are on another part of the Continettal US but here in LA Calif its a mess. I use the phone.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:22 AM   #17
Freeda II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7813
Thank you all for your reply. As to answer IAMontanta. The use was mainly to find info on hwy,weather conditions, and small talk with travelers on the road in the area as we are driving. Some of the info you have all given is great. I will look into purchasing a unit. I don't want something which will take up to much space so I'll probably look at a hand held 40 ch with weather capabilities without antenna requirements.
Freeda II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Hi Waynem. Regarding establishing an MOC channel, that was discussed several months ago from other posts and polls about what members had for CBs in general. I think it was suggested by several to monitor channel 19, then if you come into contact with a Monty by flashing lights on the road, then a quick call on the CB to acknowledge then agree on another channel to continue chatting was the suggestion. I don't remember any more from that because the range for CB contact could be limited in distance and terrain as each other passes.

If Freeda II ever comes back to read this, allow me to suggest that even with a handheld I believe there is a way to improve CB reception with a magnetic mount antenna. I have used a handheld with only its internal antenna and the range was too short. I hope someone knows the technical or product details for the recommendation. Maybe the kind with the microphone with all the controls on the mic that way the base unit can get an externally mounted antenna.

Have fun with it!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:42 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I was KGG 8122..Hence the handle "Double duce." We Built Cb's before most folks knew about them. Haven't heard a base station in Years. Agree about California as CA is in a different Galaxy and when we traveled there we had the CB off.haven't heard that kind of stuff since the early 70's. Helen was a Snow bunny in her early years but someone in our area used that handle hence her handle "snowhawk" We prefer the family radios but range is limited and when Helen is scouting fuel stops for me she gets way out there and the truckers are vey helpful in finding RV friendly fuel stops.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
My walkie talkie has got me to a fuel stop with the help of truckers in a couple major cities. I had not idea where the next fuel stop was and needed assistance. Trucker came on and said exit 2 miles ahead, turn here and there and you will have one.

The Cobra WX-75 is a popular CB except for it's speaker system, but an external speaker can be attached that improves that.

Happy hunting.