Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
New Member/New Montana

Just thought I would check in. Joined the forum earlier this month, but did not close the deal on our new 09 Montana 3585SA until today and should have it at the local dealer later this week. We hail from NC, but having spent 27+ years in the Army, spent a lot of time in some nice spots and then some not so nice places. The wife is a retired teacher and I also retired from teaching after nine years at the high school level. Lastly, this is a fantastic forum.

tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:10 PM   #2
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Welcome Tim! I'm new around here as well. Just took delivery on a 3400RL from Hawley's and am doing a shakedown in New Bern this weekend. I'm retired USAF living in Goldsboro. Cheers!
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Congratulations and welcome.
Don't forget to pull the PDI check list and let your dealer know ahead of time you are using it.
Take your time and do the check list as if it was the precheck for an IG inspection. Plan on eight hours and then camp in it for a couple days real close to your dealer. Try everything twice.
Good luck and safe towing.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by akf15e

Welcome Tim! I'm new around here as well. Just took delivery on a 3400RL from Hawley's and am doing a shakedown in New Bern this weekend. I'm retired USAF living in Goldsboro. Cheers!
Which campground in New Bern? That is my one complaint about NC, its lack of good coastal campgrounds. Since Hawley's is seven miles from my house, you can believe I'll have that PDI list out and spend a lot of time there going through the new rig. Its also unknown whether it has slide toppers or not, I'll have to wait till it arrives from VA in a day or two. If no toppers, Hawley's will make a few more $$$. Tim
Old 03-25-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
akf15e,
Are you going to the KOA in New Bern? I assume so as it's the only campground here. If I get a chance, I'll stop by and say Hi.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
db_engineer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9068
Welcome and congratulations. Been a member here for a couple of months, picked up the Monty about 4 weeks ago and finally got it out for a shakedown last weekend. The only problem I found was that I couldn't get hot water when we arrived at the CG Friday night. Found the problem the next morning - the water heater has a switch in the outside compartment that apparently shuts off the control circuitry so you can't turn it on with any empty tank.

db_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:53 PM   #7
Stichwerks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8548
Welcome to a great site. You will learn all you need to know from everyone on MOC. Good Luck with the new Montana.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Welcome to the Forum and glad you finally were able to get that rig!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Welcome to the forum Tim, we're glad you made it. You will find that there are a lot of people here with vast amounts of experience. Tap into it and learn like the rest of us.
Thanks for joining.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #10
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
Tim and Jim - trying out the New Bern KOA this weekend. Never been there before, but got good reviews on rvparkreviews. Just wanted some place close. Jim - stop by for a cold one. We'll be the shiny new 3400 in site 48!

Tim - agreed on the lack of coastal campgrounds. We loved Salter Path on Emerald Isle, but they sold out to condos a few years ago. Real shame. Haven't tried Holiday Travel Park though. Rodanthe/Waves have a couple of decent ones. We stayed at Hatteras KOA and enjoyed it. No real amenities other than hookups, but right on the beach. Since I gather that you are retired military, I highly recommend Camp Lejeune's rec area at Onslow Beach. On the beach, full hookups, less than $20. Other than that, we usually end up driving to Myrtle Beach.

Good luck with the PDI at Hawley's. They treated me very well and fixed everything I pointed out.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
afk15e,
The last time we were at Lejeune's Onslo Beach CG there was a battery of 105 howitzers doing live fire training about 300 meters away which made you think it was the 4th of July. More recently we were at the Hatteras KOA in August, about three years ago, and a series of thunderstorms came through about 0300hrs and took out all but one transformer in the CG and left the area under about three inches of water. Next time we go back there it will be to the CG right next to the KOA which has concrete pads.
We usually end up in the Myrtle Beach area with the favorite CG being Huntington Beach State Park just south of Murrells Inlet.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:01 AM   #12
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Jan,
I did the same thing with the hot water on our first trip. It worked fine on propane but not electric. Came home and posted on the forum and was reminded about the switch (and I'm an electrical contractor). We tried it this past weekend and it worked great. With the 12 gallon tank, we didn't need to boost the heat with propane. We had plenty of hot water.
Tim & akf15e (don't know your name),
Last month, we spent the weekend at Myrtle Beach State Park. It's north of Murrells Inlet. Very nice park and reasonable rates. It's in the woods next to the ocean. We would definately go there again. We went to Holiday Trav-L-Park last weekend. It's a very nice park with big pull-thru sites right on the ocean. Their wine mart and camp store burned down in January and they are trying to get a new building out of the ground as fast as they can.
New Bern KOA is very nice. It used to be a Yogi Bear campground and was really run down. It was turned into a KOA 5 or 6 years ago and they did a great job renovating it. They win awards all the time.
akf15e (still don't know your name),
We'll stop by Saturday morning to see your rig. We have a 3665RE. They are similar floor plans so it would be interesting to compare them.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:35 AM   #13
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
See you then Jim! Looks like it's going to be a wet weekend - par for the course for us on shakedown trips. I think this will make 3 for 4 (rainy weekends) on our last 4 RVs!

Butch
Old 03-30-2009, 04:28 PM   #14
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Tim
Welcome to the best forum neighbor. The DW and I are here in Fayetteville. Retired Army and Civil Service Aug 08. If you need a good campground in SC near Myrtle Beach. Willow Tree is the place to go. It is in Long SC about 15 miles from Myrtle Beach. The DW and I go there and love the location. We go to Camp Lejune every November to surf fish for Puppy Drum and Speckled Trout. Have not heard the Guns anytime when there. Maybe we were just lucky.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM   #15
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Tim,
If you are looking for a quick getaway there are state parks nearby (Jordan and Falls Lakes). They have sites with power and water. There are dump stations at the parks also. We visit Jordan Lake for some weekenders. Campgrounds in Western NC in the mountains are also nice. We try to go somewhere in the mountains in the fall. It is beautiful.
George

Old 03-31-2009, 01:04 AM   #16
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Jay bird,
Remind me to tell you what happened after I left Willow Tree about 4 1/2 years ago when we get together for coffee sometime. It turned into a mired mess with mud up to the hubs of the TV and 5er. I'll say at this time that Good Sam's ERS came through for me. Tim
Old 03-31-2009, 03:53 PM   #17
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Tim,
Looking forward to getttng together for coffee. Just let me know.
George