Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Riddle Me This Fellow MOC'ers

I’m hoping someone can offer up an answer to solve this riddle as I’ve not been able to close in on one. The topic is very real and serious to many on the MOC, so take no offense if the following sounds somewhat in jest. Collectively, why do many of us have sooooooooo much tire and suspension issues and yet I have better than ½ dozen acquaintances that basically just hookup and go with no hesitation? We diligently check our tire pressure before each trip, travel armed with IR temperature guns, and run with some fashion of TPMS for constant surveillance of heat and pressure … yet we seem to always have tire or other nagging running gear issues. In contrast, my buddies hitch up to the truck, acknowledge the tires are round and black, and take off. They return in a few days to a couple of weeks with nothing but fishing tales to tell or how much air they caught wakeboarding. Granted they are all recreational RVers with units in the 10,000 – 12,000 range fully loaded, but what gives? Any one of them would faint dead away if they were encouraged to buy a set of G614’s for $1200+, install the X-Factor, or go with wet bolts in their shackles because that’s just for the “big boys”. I know these guys and their rigs (Keystone, Forrest River, Jayco, Heartland) … how do they do it?

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
I think those are they guys we see on the side of the road, then come here to MOC to tell the tale on how their Maribomb blew out, or how their shackle eroded/wore through.

On the flip side of that coin.....

I guess some guys have all the luck. Seeing that I cant count on luck, and with Semper Paratus being my last motto, and the one before that being Always Prepaired... I have a tendancy to make sure my gear is in order. That way, im not the guy on the side of the road.

Luck, hopes and dreams, whatever you want to call it, they all run out eventually.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I am sure you have heard the fable of the grasshopper and the ant. Well the grasshopper is our good time Charlie with no worries and no preparations. The ant is like the MOCer who pays attention. His rig is not his toy to use and abuse and throw away, rather it is his home or a prized possession.

I know a number of folks who don't spray for termites either. Later, they find very expensive repairs are needed because they didn't. Some of those same folks you describe also don't take care of their autos, then wonder why transmissions and wheel bearings fail.

It is easy enough to join the group just stop. Stop checking tire pressures, stop draining your water heater and replacing the anode, stop winterizing if you live up north, stop doing any preventive maintenance. Just hookup and roll. Maybe you will make it through your trip or maybe........you have to hang around to the end of the story to see if your first impressions turn out to be true or does your grasshopper end up in a heap of trouble.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
As of 5 minutes ago there were 12916 MOC members, at any ne time there only about 60 or 70 posting at one time. The vast majority only read and lurk. When someone has a problem they post it, but if nobody has a problem with a given item they don't usually post. Even if there are over a hundred folks that have a problem with something like tires or suspension that leaves eleven thousand members and god only knows how many other Montana owners who haven't had any problems. This forum is a great place to exchange information but sometimes it can seem like everybody is having the same problem when in fact only a very small percentage is having the problem. A lot of us jave had graphics problems, and a lot have had tire problems but in the big picture only a few of have had those problems. It is just that we have this forum to vent about them in. And many of us do vent about them, but as I said before we are a very small percentage of all Montana owners. If everybody that bought a Montana had all the problems that all ov active members have had then Montana would not be one of the top selling rigs......
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2 on that, but here's something else to consider. I had a popup and then a TT for a lot of years before the Montana but all I did was recreational camp. I didn't have all my cooking equipment, clothing, tools etc that I owned in the rig. No more than those rigs weighed, even with my stuff in them they weren't going to stress the tires. They weren't near as long and backing them didn't really put any stress on the tires or suspension. Our rigs are long and tight turns when backing are common. In addition, I seldom ran the miles in a year that I now may run on a single trip and one more thing we had good roads on the interstates and main highways in those days. Recreational campers just don't put the stress on tires we do, but that's ok, we have more fun in the long run.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have read so many tire threads over the past 8 years and often times wonder how did I get so lucky? My Montana 3400RL was a 2004 that I bought new and came with the "infamous" Tacoma tires. I had those tires on the coach for the entire 8 years I owned it and covered more than 50,000 miles. When I traded the coach, there was still more than 45% tread life left on them and they had worn so perfectly. I kept those tires at 80 psi regardless of load. The only other thing I did to the tires that I dont see many rv'ers do is I kept tire covers on the wheels anytime I was stationary over 2 days. I am not saying that my covering the tires for 8 years and stored the coach indoors during the winter was the cause of my success with the Tacoma's, but I sure would like to think it didn't hurt. With Keystone changing the frame to the new 12" frame on the 2013 Montana's, I wonder if we will continue to read all of the tire thread issues or not???
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
Dontana
Established Member

M.O.C. #12608
Tis a good question. To me, it boils down to what could be referred to as the preparedness gene. In other words, readiness may have mostly to do with an individual’s potential and/or willingness to forecast calamity. I’m guessing that this potential not only varies by gender and age, but more importantly, with one’s knowledge base.

In golf, it is said that youngsters putt well, because they only see the hole. In contrast, experienced players sometimes over-analyze things and become distracted by every vagary between the ball and the cup. In other words, knowing all the things that can go wrong can interfere with instinct.

We have all seen folks who are so uptight with worry about the prospect of misfortune that they can’t relax enough to enjoy life. On the other hand, we also know those who rely on divine providence to bail them out when disaster strikes.

In the final analysis, it may just boil down to personality, knowing that there will always be somebody out there that wants to get under your umbrella, because they forgot theirs.
Dontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:43 AM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Some folks are plain lucky, others are ignorant of the risks, some just choose to ignore things, for some it's just not a priority. Myself... I have a lot invested, I work hard for my money and I take pride in my unit, It's also my hobby and I'm an old Scout that likes to "Be prepared".
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Maybe you don't hear from those folks you speak of, who have problems, because they know if they had done some P.M. and upkeep, their break-down could have been prevented. For some people, it is hard to admit they should have 'done something..'
Good observation though.
I have made my living all my life fixing things people broke, or things that just wore out. I know first-hand what neglecting mechanical or wear items can do.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What Dave said...Rv owners are many...problems are few but always reported on forums.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:19 AM   #11
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Just take a look at the number of posts by some of the folks with problems, seems the only time they post is when a problem arrises. You don't see that as much here on the MOC, but check some of the other Forums. You'll find folks who have been members for years without a post, then when they do post it's about their problem.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #12
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
We love our Montana. I want to take the best possable care of it. I'd rather do a little work trying to prevent problems, than finding myself on the side of the road in a bad situation. I also like to avoid costly repairs when they could have been avoided by a little preventive maintainance. I joined this forum not to rant about problems, but to learn and share. Making a few new freinds in the procces is a bonus.

As for other poeple that seem to neglect maintanance and inspections of their trailers, there are many reasons. Many have busy lives and care of their trailer is low on their prioritys list. Many don't realize that they should be doing routine maintanance. Some just don't care, and some are just lazy. Most have too much faith in the manufacturers.

There are also those that do the maintanance that you never hear from. I have seen several of these folks at campgrounds over the years. Most have large 5'ers or class A's and spend a great deal of time in them.

woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:25 AM   #13
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
I think you answered your own question. They are in the 10-12k range and we are in the 16k range on the same size tires.
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:49 AM   #14
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I am one who is not afraid to say that my '05 Montana has been trouble free since we got it new. Yes the front cap and rt. side graphics are beginning to show some age,but when it is parked at home the front points south and the rt. side west. Darn summer sun. We probable averaged 3k plus a year since we bought it and no tire issues. They are US made Tacoma load range E. I check pressures before we leave and I occasionally check for heat build up at rest stops. I may put new ones on for next years use. Over the winter and spring the suspension will be gone thru. Just regular maintenance to me.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Great question, many answers. For me, its stress management. The more prepared I feel, checking everything, the more comfortable I will be towing. Its that simply for me. As far as folks pulling 10 to 12k lb rigs just winging it, and getting lucky, we are in a much different class of campers as mine weights in at 15K, and is 39', which is a different animal. For those who just wing it, my thougths is it will catch up with them at some point. Its now a matter of if, but when.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrhaman

I think you answered your own question. They are in the 10-12k range and we are in the 16k range on the same size tires.
Agree. We are running close to max weight rating (and some over max), on cheap tires. We have considered moving to a motor home and I have been monitoring those forums. They have virtually no discussions on tires, other than what brand offers the best deal when getting new ones.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455

Agree. We are running close to max weight rating (and some over max), on cheap tires. We have considered moving to a motor home and I have been monitoring those forums. They have virtually no discussions on tires, other than what brand offers the best deal when getting new ones.
[/quote]

Your missing something then. At Escapee boot camp there was a long discussion of tire issues on Class A's including tread separations causing fuel line ruptures and in a couple of cases death due to the resulting fire. Overloading and poor tire maintainance were the main listed causes. As with 5th wheels the total weight can be ok, but one wheel may not be.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #18
DTIEDEMAN
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12686
We just came from a class A DP. We had some problems with it and have some problems with the new Montana also. But both have been good to us. There are pros and cons to both. Just have to do what is best for you at the time.

I look at the forum as more FYI and looking for answers than complaints. I was at the fall rally and felt the the Montana folks and there suppliers were interest in any problems and did there best to correct then. Also by bring problems to these folk than can take
Corrective actions.
DTIEDEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #19
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Quote:
quote:Great question, many answers. For me, its stress management. The more prepared I feel, checking everything, the more comfortable I will be towing. Its that simply for me.
Great answer!

A little off topic, but not much. When we got our first trailer, I had no experience towing. My Trooper buddy set out cones in a large parking lot and put me through scenarios (in law enforcement training, scenarios are a big thing). Because of those scenarios, and my experience to date, I was able to turn our Monty around on a dead end, single track dirt road the other day. Was I stressed? You bet! But, not as much as I might have been, due to being "more prepared".
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #20
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Good question and good answers by all. Have you noticed there are even problems with the Goodyear tires as well? Not every solution is perfect and it's only in the eye of the beholder. Not every problem or solution is considered worth mentioning maybe that's why your friends only talk about the good things involved with their RV experiences. We loved our Cedar Creek and that forum had a simialer percentage of complaints as the MOC. It always seems to be easier to complain than compliment. Don't lose those friends.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote