Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2018, 01:24 PM   #21
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Unless my memory is worse than I realize, I'm pretty sure we were told at the Goshen rally that warranty work had to be performed at a selling Montana dealer. This was in response to several comments from different owners about how slow and aggravating it was to get warranty repairs and asking why independent service centers weren't allowed to do Montana warranty work.

tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:40 AM   #22
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Nope. They have to be an approved Keystone repair facility, they don’t have to be a dealer. I’ve had mine worked on by a Forest River (Cedar Creek) dealership.

Mark
Old 05-14-2018, 08:43 AM   #23
Troutn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21573
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARK A View Post
Nope. They have to be an approved Keystone repair facility, they don’t have to be a dealer. I’ve had mine worked on by a Forest River (Cedar Creek) dealership.

Mark
I have three options in my area. Well, actually only two since Camping World's service is not worth mentioning.

Rick and Jeanne
2013 F350 6.7 CC LB SRW
2018.5 Montana 3791RD
Troutn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:42 AM   #24
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Ok - here is my latest shock from Holiday World in Willis Texas - there is a $95 charge to investigate and do warranty work. Really ... gotta find the Keystone rep and find out what the heck - be glad when I'm free of them
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #25
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
yeah you'll be a repeat customer
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #26
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
must be a "brand" dealer

Not sure if this is specific to Texas or not...we bought our previous RV (Keystone Laredo) from United RV in Fort Worth. We live about 10 miles from Crestview RV Georgetown (TX). Crestview sells several Keystone products including Montana. Crestview told me they are not allowed to work on Laredos because they do not sell them. Nearest selling dealer was 50 miles south at Camper Clinic in Buda,TX. Crestview said it is no different than a Chevrolet warranty. General Motors does not pay for warranty work if you take a Chevy to a Cadillac dealer...right? Beats me. Granted I have never tried to get Chevy warranty work done anywhere else, but it made sense at the time.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #27
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
If Cadillac doesn't sell GMC trucks then i wouldn't expect them to work on them but if they do then yes as GMC trucks and Chevy trucks are almost the same except for some cosmetics. Many of our rv's have a lot in common with a lot of the parts being interchangeable especially the mechanics and appliances. It's not that many of the dealers can't but that they won't as there are enough self pay customers that pay the dealer retail in the form of 125.00 per hour or more which i assume is much more than what the manufacture will pay.This is why this forum is so important as there are a whole lot better trouble shooters on this forum than the techs at the dealers. Sometimes the hardest part in fixing our rv's is finding the problem, not actually doing the work. If i was an rv tech working on Montana's, i think i would stay on this forum. Who know's, they might learn something.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:36 PM   #28
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
Ok - here is my latest shock from Holiday World in Willis Texas - there is a $95 charge to investigate and do warranty work. Really ... gotta find the Keystone rep and find out what the heck - be glad when I'm free of them
I bought my rv from Holiday world and this dealer has done warranty work for me and didn't charge the 95.00 fee. This was about 3 years ago but nothing surprise's me about dealers.Let us know what the rep says
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:01 PM   #29
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
They have not charged us anything. And done work in a fairly quick manner. They do have a large amount of turnover - at least in their sales department.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:05 PM   #30
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Not sure if this is specific to Texas or not...we bought our previous RV (Keystone Laredo) from United RV in Fort Worth. We live about 10 miles from Crestview RV Georgetown (TX). Crestview sells several Keystone products including Montana. Crestview told me they are not allowed to work on Laredos because they do not sell them. Nearest selling dealer was 50 miles south at Camper Clinic in Buda,TX. Crestview said it is no different than a Chevrolet warranty. General Motors does not pay for warranty work if you take a Chevy to a Cadillac dealer...right? Beats me. Granted I have never tried to get Chevy warranty work done anywhere else, but it made sense at the time.
That's interesting. Holiday World Willis did not sell the Alpine but their Katy store did. I see now the Willis store is stocking the Alpine but their lot is packed, I think because of the big party this weekend.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
A fee to investigate for damage is pretty normal among dealers .They normally charge their hourly labor rate. It may take many man hours to tear down and investigate. The fee applies only if they tear the Rv down and investigate for a problem and that is it. If they continue to do the repair work that fee becomes part of the overall cost. I would not expect a dealership to spend man hours looking for a problem at no cost.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:05 AM   #32
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
The Keystone website will help find an authorized warranty repair dealer in your current location, getting the dealer to accept it may be another issue.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle and Lisa View Post
The Keystone website will help find an authorized warranty repair dealer in your current location, getting the dealer to accept it may be another issue.
This is very true. We have done this several times all over the country over the last 12 years on the road.They have even called the dealership and arranged for us to be there and the repair or service done.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote