Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
Might help on some tire problems

Some good Tire info

http://fifthwheelst.com/step5.htm#!

http://rvingwithmarkpolk.com/2012/11...s-vs-lt-tires/

Kerry

kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Thanks for posting the links. More controversy in the never ending LT vs ST and Chinese vs American saga. It is always interesting to read these things.

The first link is interesting regarding the TV and pressures.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:04 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Excellent information. Guess I am one of those cited who is locked in his opinion. Our first Montana came with LT tires, and I have run LT tires since 2002 on all three of our Montana fivers with no problems and lots of mileage to include six years of fulltiming. I do take sharp turns a bit slower, and when backing into a site, I pull forward and back to ensure no stress on the tires.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:22 AM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I'll keep my G range tires!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
There is good info in both links, but I think the author of the second link, Mark Polk needs to revise it and update it. In the link he claims that US branded tires made in China are OK, and I know a lot of Goodyear Marathon owners would argue that he is wrong on that count. I'd cut him some slack because the article was done in 2012, but he really should go back and update that part of it.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Hmmmmmmm .......I too have run LT tires ever since my Alpenlite came with them. That's what cracks me up with the ST crowd who claim LT tires are illegal on trailers????? A lot of the higher end trailers come with LT's but then they don't worry as much about the end price of the rig since it is already expensive. But many miles later in Texas heat and 70 mph I have yet to have a problem. I am also a firm believer in the fact that jacking your trailer around at 90 degrees does damage you tires. Just watch sometime when someone does it and you will cringe when you see the tire twist. There is no way that is not doing some damage to the belts. I know in some tight SP's and camp grounds it is hard to back in without twisting them, but I have yet to turn at 90 degrees. The day I see posts on these forums bad mouthing all the blow outs of LT's then I will rethink the position but to date there are no posts like that. Now Marathon posts,,,well then you got some reading to do lol lol
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:47 AM   #7
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
The illustration of inter-ply shear is especially interesting. I have always thought that the side to side movement experienced when turning played a role in the failures seen on this forum and elsewhere. I never had any facts or data to support it, it was just my opinion.

"I do take sharp turns a bit slower, and when backing into a site, I pull forward and back to ensure no stress on the tires." quote

When parking Hannah at home or elsewhere, I always raise the wheels off the ground to relax their position before levelling.

When travelling, I always inflate to the maximum allowable pressure stated on the tire sidewall. I learned long ago when I towed a much lighter 5ver with my then 1/2 ton truck it made a huge difference in the "sway effect" when towing in wind or being passed by a larger vehicle.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #8
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
After looking at the inflation chart for my tires, LT235/80R17, I have way too much pressure in the rear duals. Weight with camper is 6300# /4 = 1575#. Acording the the chart, I should have 35 - 40# of air, not the 65# I run. Hmmm......
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:11 AM   #9
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Quote:
quote:The ST Difference
The construction, design, materials and testing used in ST Special Trailer tires meet the higher load requirements, duty cycles and special demands of trailering.

Polyester cords in an ST tire are bigger than in a comparable P or LT tire.

Steel cords used in ST tires have a larger diameter and greater tensile strength to meet additional load requirements.

ST tire rubber compounds contain chemicals to resist weather and ozone cracking, particularly conditions resulting from extended storage and the unusual duty cycles of trailer tires.

The slightly shallower tread depth of a trailer tire reduces sway and rides cooler, which adds to tire longevity.

ST tires feature stiffer sidewalls, especially in the lower section which:

Reduces sidewall flexing causing the trailer to track straighter.

Diminishes the risk of trailer sway.

Lessens the risk of sidewall puncture and blowout.

ST tires generally offer approximately 10% percent more load capacity than a similar LT tire and nearly 40% more than a P passenger tire.
As far as the little chart on the one article I take except to pretty much everything on it....

First I don't know about the cord size but I do feel the rubber holds up a whole lot better on my LT's then the ST's on my bike trailer. They sit side by side but I got to replace my ST tires on my bike trailer well before they are wore or the 6 year limit.

I don't see a difference in tread depth and my trailer rides better and straighter and with less sway once I got the LT's installed. And that's at 70 mph. Never measured the temps but I would bet they run cooler cause I have put my hand on them and they are only warm.

And I also read somewhere that there is no weight safety cushion on ST tires like LT's. LT tires must be able to handle more weight then what is on the sidewall since they carry passengers. The weight rating on a ST is the max, after that you are playing with a time bomb. Had something to do with government testing standards.

Ok someone help me down off this soapbox lol lol...sorry but if upsets me that an industry is allowed to continue to put peoples lives in danger and continue to cost us with all the damage that cheap tires cause. Then have the nerve to blame it on the comsumer that we do not want to pay the extra for quality tires??? Yes it would cost us more but not to the extent the manufacturs want us to believe. We have a government that likes to stick it's nose into a lot of places it should not but this is one case it should be checking into.

Badeeah badeeah bedeeah That's all Folks...........
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #10
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Some interesting info, but, the first linked one does not include the Goodyear bulletin about inflating the tires to 10 psi over the maximum cold pressure that is marked on the sidewall(which raises the max. speed rating to 75 mph).

I did that, and ran 90 psi in my factory supplied Goodyear Marathon E-rated tires from the get-go. Almost 30,000 miles of trouble-free travelling before I bought new tires due to the Marathons being 3 years old. They had plenty of tread left on them, and I probably could have gotten another season out of them before I would have been truly uncomfortable with the risk of them failing due to age.

Not being someone eager to experience expensive and extensive trailer damage that often occurs when a tire fails, I replaced the Marathons with GY G614's, which gave me some additional peace of mind. Well worth the added expense, IMO.

Which brings me to another error in both of the linked articles.

The G614's are a ST tire, ....well, I guess technically they are RST tires, but they are speed rated at 75 mph maximum, not 65 mph.

Those of us that have rigs that are grossing out at 16k lbs or more, should, without a doubt in my mind, be running at least G rated tires.

I think that it bordering on criminal that Keystone is still rolling these heavy trailers off the line with E-rated tires. At least at this point they are offering the G614's as an option, but in my not-so-humble opinion, they should come as standard equipment on the Montana's, and not only on the Big Sky models.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
The G614's Do give you peace of mind.
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote