Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-08-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
Rainbirds
Established Member

M.O.C. #5720
Bedroom Slide Opened, Bed Didn't Move

Has this happened to anyone else?

The bedroom slide opened fine, but, the bed stayed put which pulled the screws out of the slide.

The wheels on the bed are OK and I did not have anything heavy on the bed.

I think bolts would be a better solution than the wood screws.
I also hesitate to pull the coach siding off by myself, but, that seems like the correct way to fix it.

Or maybe take it to a Montana dealer.

Any Suggestions?

The Rainbirds

Rainbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:52 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Rainbirds, there was a post on here awhile back by Ozz about the bedroom slide rams. One of the replies to that post was from rldriver, who had the same problem you are having now. I don't know what he did to fix it, but I'm sure he'll be along to tell you.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 10:20 AM   #3
Rainbirds
Established Member

M.O.C. #5720
In case anyone else runs into this problem; Here is our fix and possibly cause.

The Montana dealer in Grants Pass, OR was quick and efficient in fixing the problem and identifing the probably cause.

The bed was only screwed into the outside wall. So with the slide closed, the bed was rescrewed into the wall and then screwed into the floor of the slide. (A much better solution, I think.)

I have awnings over my slides. When opening the slide the bottom of the slide traveled notably faster than the top of the slide. This seemed to have caused the bed screws to pull out of the wall. Part of the reason for the uneven sliding may have been that the awning tension was too tight. When the awning tension was readjusted the slide moved more evenly and the bed moves with it.

We are back on the road again,

The Rainbirds
Rainbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Sounds like a nice, happy, and fast fix - and good info to others! Happy you are back on the road and welcome to the Forum!!

If your handy with photos, some pics of the fix would be helpful as well (the home page has some guidance). If not - no worries!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 05:51 AM   #5
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
We fixed ours ,which was only loose, with 3/8 flat head bolts and bolted it to the floor of the slide out. All keystone uses is some deck screws and they are hard and brittle which breaks off. Not a very good way of doing things for something like that. It works for a while just to get it out the door. The 3/8 flat head bolts work fine.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:38 AM   #6
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Rainbirds,
Do you happen to have the name of the dealer in Grant's Pass, OR? Good service like that should be recognized! That's awesome they took such great care of you!
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:23 AM   #7
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Ours pulled out on one side. I rebuilt the bed frame and fastened it more securely than what was done at the factory. Needless to say the deck screws and staples they used is a cheap, easy quick way to install the frame but not necessarily the best.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote