Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Mount Rushmore

This summer we are planning a trip from Michigan to Mount Rushmore and then on to Yellowstone. I would like recommendations for the following:
1. FHU RV parks by Mount Ruchmore.
2. Heard there some dangerous tunnels and roads around Mount Rushmore. Which ones would you recommend to stay away from.
3. FHU RV parks by Yellowstone.

Thank you in advance.

nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:58 AM   #2
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Rafter R B is a great campground near Mt Rushmore and I think it is called Grizley in West Yellowstone. The tunnels are on some of the side roads and they are well marked.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
My bad the park in Hill City SD, right outside Mt. Rushmore, is Rafter J Bar and it is great.

For Yellowstone we like Yellowstone Grizzly in West Yellowstone.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I'm sure there are many others, but we stayed at Custers Gulch RV Park in Custer, SD this past August. Very nice location and friendly staff, just be sure to call for directions, as some GPS are wrong. We based out of there, and don't even think about bringing an RV near Mt Rushmore, especially on the road that has the rock tunnels.

For Yellowstone, we wanted to stay inside the park, but were unable to get reservations. Be sure to reserve way ahead of time where ever you decide to stay. We ended up staying near Moran, WY at Grand Teton Park RV Resort. We were extremely disappointed with this park, way over priced and very dilapidated. I guess there are new owners and management trying to repair the park, but until it is fixed, the rates are way out of line and they should drop the 'Resort' from their name. Staff was very friendly and helpful though.
rohrmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:24 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
My wife and I stayed in Custer State Park this summer and annoyed it very much. There are some tight tunnels in the park. I would not take my camper through but a bus driver got a BIG greyhound size bus through with only about an inch to spare on each side of the mirrors. Me and a lot of other watched in total amazement.
As for Yellowstone I like the Madison CC. It gives you the park experience you don't get when you stay outside the park. We had to stay in the grisly park in West Yellowstone. It is a very nice park well lighted and maintained. Great staff. It is like livening in the city and I'm a country boy so we hated every minute.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
A "second" to Custer's Gulch RV Park. We greatly enjoyed a week stay there.

The tunnels are on Iron Mountain Road and Needles Highway. No RV of any type should be on either of these roads, but neither to be missed for a day drive.

We enjoyed the wildlife loop drive through Custer State Park, another reason to favor Custer's Gulch Park.

Colter Bay RV Park in Grand Teton National Park is one of our favorites. On one visit to Yellowstone, we stayed out in Idaho at Red Rock RV Park: a 20 mile drive into park, but a delightful area worth a visit in itself.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:19 AM   #7
Bill and Jan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12932
We always stay at Heartland in Hermosa. It is easy to get to all the attractions, big pull thrus and Passport America rates. There is also a Pizza shop right around the corner to die for. I think it is called Lintz or something like that. Best pizza in the USA!
Bill and Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
We stayed at Hill City KOA near Mount Rushmore and Grizzly near Yellowstone. Both are popular campgrounds and advance reservations are recommended.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
We stayed at the Mt. Rushmore KOA in 2011

http://koa.com/campgrounds/mount-rushmore/.

It's huge and does become it's own city, but it offers many amenities, including s shuttle to Mt. Rushmore, we took the evening tour to see the sunset behind the monument and watch it lighted by massive flood lights. I thought that was very impressive.

Camping in Yellowstone can be a PIA. On the same trip as above, we arrived at the Mammoth Hot Springs campground shortly before 9AM and were able to get one of the last six remaining "first come, first served " campsites. No hook-ups, but then we are totally self-reliant with solar panels and a generator. We spent that first day exploring the upper half of the park (no Old Faithful), and then left the next morning heading out the northeast entrance of the park through the most scenic route in the country, the Bear Tooth Pass Hwy - you need huge cajones to drive this pulling a trailer (I do, and I did!) - to Red Lodge where we stayed at another KOA.

http://on.fb.me/1egzh7u

We like KOA's, we've stayed at about 50 over the past few years. Sure they're not always the greatest campgrounds, but to me they're like McDonald's, not the best place to eat, but you always know what you're going to get before your get there!
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
I second Rafter J Bar Ranch...Big sites, Nice pull Thrus.....and it is close to all the attractions. Be sure and take the steam train ride from Hill City to Keystone. It is round trip and you can take a train over and visit Keystone and take a later train home. Alpine Resturaant in Hill City is GREAT. They only serve 1 item, small or large size filet migon, salad etc when were we there small was $11.95 their deserts are extra and well worth it. We had the small dinner so we would have room for desert!!!! Yellowstone is another game all together.....I would stay in the park at Fishing Bridge that way you are close to everything but make your reservations early and don't have great expectations. Then while there I would move on to the Tetons and stay around Jackson Hole area and see that area. We liked Yellowstone but it is BIG and a lot of driving, we LOVED the Tetons. Tons of hiking and stuff to see. HAVE FUN

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote