Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2008, 04:25 AM   #21
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Steve; I like the look of the new vents but in the summer I have found that if I turn the bedroom vents toward the living room it helps cool us better in that room, I have just one AC unit.

With my first inspection of the vents in 05 I found the gape between the baffle and the AC duct, to fix this I dabbed silicon caulk on my finger and applied it between the two to make a seal.

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 AM   #22
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
OKkkeeeedokkiieeeee

Finally got around to this.

first photo: Air conditioning vent hole with EVERYTHING removed.

open vent

This is the baffle/tube:

baffle

Al left the baffle IN, and screwed the new Jayco covers onto that.

Photos were tough to get, they are not the bestest in the west, but hopefully you can get an idea of what we were talking about.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #23
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
As a foot note,

We have the 3295 with desk in the back, before the Jayco vent cover, it was either HOTTER than *&^%$ back here, or COLD like ice back here, NOW, COOL!!! Wish the fix for heating season was rather simple like this (note: Al did the replacement, so, of course, I think it was simple! )

oh, and the way Al did this, we can always take off the new Jayco covers, and replace with the original Montana ones.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #24
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

OKkkeeeedokkiieeeee

Finally got around to this.

first photo: Air conditioning vent hole with EVERYTHING removed.

open vent

This is the baffle/tube:

baffle

Al left the baffle IN, and screwed the new Jayco covers onto that.

Photos were tough to get, they are not the bestest in the west, but hopefully you can get an idea of what we were talking about.
Carol is it possible to place the baffle on top of the Jayco vent,mark the original holes from the baffle and than drill out the Jayco vent to match the baffle holes? Than you can use the original baffle holes except maybe longer screws?
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 11:41 AM   #25
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I did not watch the procedure that closely, but I believe that the holes do not EXACTLY line up. Al chose this way, so he did not end up with holes too large, and all that stuff. He felt he would have better "grab" with new holes to hold up the Jayco cover. He managed to find some white screws at the local Montana dealer, and all is well.

IF,we need to go back to the OEM Montana covers, the new holes will not show.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:07 PM   #26
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks Carol,good info.
I just tried to order 5 but the website kept running me around and around. I'll have to call tomorrow.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #27
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
They probably had a run on that part, eh Jack? Must be all those crazy 'Tana owners that found out about them...LOL

Mine will be here in a day or two... Now I just want some warmer weather so I can get out there and do a few spring mods. It isn't so fun when it's below freezing out there.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:09 PM   #28
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I believe Al said he actually saw those same covers at the local Montana dealer. You could call and inquire??

I am sitting here under the A/C right now, and I gotta say, I am loving this!!

Thanks Steve!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:43 AM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As Carol pointed out, not all Montanas are built the same. Ours has the opening sealed to the ducts so we do not need the baffles. However, I do notice there is slightly more airflow in the direction of airflow in the duct. Not a lot but might be enough to be noticeable. I kept the baffles so I may reinstall the baffles and install the new covers to the baffles. I would think those baffles would force the air straight down, thus creating airflow uniform in all directions from the cover. At least it sounds plausible to me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 11:15 AM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mine does not have the gap between duct and outlet but... I did find that the direction of airflow in the duct does have some influence on airflow out of the new covers. More air would exit in the direction of airflow and less in the other directions. It was not bad but I felt it would be better if the flow were evenly distributed.

So, I took a hint from Carol and Al's posts and re-inserted the baffle, or mounting ring if you will. This ring is the one the screws go through on the original vents. As noted above the holes do not exactly line up but I was able to use them anyhow, as noted below.

First, on the new vent covers, screw the flow adjustment disk all the way down. Then on the backside, push those two tabs together and pull this disk out completely. This makes it easier to do the following.

Place the new vent (without the disk) cover over the old baffle/ring and line up the holes as best you can. While holding this assembly in your hand go ahead and put screws though all the holes. You'll have them on a slight angle but it works. Now, put it all up in the hole. I aligned mine so I'd be using new holes at about 90 degrees to the old holes. Using an electric screwdriver, it punches right through, no problem. Insert the disk and adjust to comfort.

That baffle/ring directs the airflow pretty much straight down where it hit the disk and flows out pretty evenly all the way around. At least it seems to work that way on ours.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OK, I took the new covers and mounted them to the original baffles, the piece of the original that fits against the ceiling. You have to use a small screwdriver to pop off the old rotating cover. The new cover almost but not exactly lines up with the holes in the old baffle. But I was able to put the screws through the holes at a slight angle. Then I mounted it back on the ceiling, positioning so it would create new holes in the ceiling (to maintain tightness). The screws straightened up nicely.

Since then we have had several days where we ran the AC for several hours, including today. We are very, very, very happy with this change. No longer do we have hot spots and cold spots in the coach. At first I wasn't feelinhg the heavy stream of air directed at me and thought maybe it's not working well. Before long I realized it's cool in here and it's an even cool, not hot and cold spots.

I have the vents up in the bedroom just open a very small amount. That's all that is needed up there. Downstairs I have them opened most of the way.

If you ever need to clean these things, screw them all the say down, then reach up through the opening and push one of the tabs in the center piece. The outer piece comes right out. Just push it back in when done.