Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2007, 02:56 AM   #1
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
Rebuild

I would like your opinion on maybe just buying an 00-03 7.3 powerstroke. With all the uproar between Ford/Navistar who knows? I have a trusted friend who is a whiz at rebuiding diesel motors. He did all of my brothers mechanic work on his heavy equipment.

Thanks
Dan

ArkieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 03:53 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We looked long and hard for a 'good" 7.3L when we were buying our 05 V-10. We were unable to find the truck that met our needs. Looking in the Northeren Ohio area meant that it was hard to find a truck that had not suffered the ravages of winter. I have seen some in near show room condition here in Arizona with low miles for a diesel.I would seriously consider the 7.3l over the 6.0 and we are also concerned about the Ford/navstar feud.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 04:31 AM   #3
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Dan,
I had a 2000 7.3 PSD and just loved it. Never had a problem with it. The only reason I sold it was to get the new Ford Tow Command with the integrated breaking system, so I bought a 2006 6.0 PSD. The new truck is much more quite, has a better turning radius, and rides much better than the old one...but I would suggest a 7.3 PSD if you don't want to get a new one.

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
7.3 best engine they had but the 4R100 tranny sucked, that was that era combo weak link. Mine my go out tomorrow but my 6.0 LB turns and rides better than my 01 7.3 did and just as much power. One difference I have had after 52k miles is I am still on same tranny and never had minutes trouble. Know watch tomorrow have problem, my 01 went through three transmissions in 37k miles.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 12:21 PM   #5
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
Just saw Chevy's new comercial of a 3500 D/A pulling a choo-choo train. Maybe I need to rethink my intentions for a TV. Was pretty impressive. May do some more home work. Of course, there is a differance between pulling a load and towing with the weight on the axle's. Has anyone else seen this comercial?
Old 03-03-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
The 7.3 Powerstroke is a great engine. I have 121,000 miles on my 1999.5. I replaced my transmission at 92,000 miles only because I had a torque converter that was beginning to slip (wear out). I had added a large ATF cooler for towing and external atf filter at 40,000 knowing the reputation of the Ford transmission being the weak link in my drivetrain. ALL transmissions and engines wear out and most all can be repaired. Because of the longevity of diesel engine pickups and there popularity for towing there are aftermarket transmission builders out there that rebuild the all the big three diesel transmissions to a much heavier duty state than stock. They will even warranty the rebuilt transmissions for drag racing and competitive sled pulling even with radical engine modifications. Suncoast transmissions, BTS, ATS to name a few. Pulling these massive trailers are hard on all automatic transmissions. If you tow heavy with any automatic you wear them out prematurely. Automatic transmissions have clutches in them that are like brake shoes and are wear items. The magical smooth shifting of an automatic transmission is those clutches slipping during each shift. Slipping equals wearing.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
ArkieBug
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6706
Kmh3212 you may be onto something. I liked the brake idea that Fire5er mentioned, so I wonder if you could have one installed on a earlier model, say an 03. Good to know about the HD tranny custom built. Took a lot of ????'s away on that issue. As far as the noise factor of the 7.3 I used to line the fire wall on the WS with great foam to reduce heat and noise and the same thing on my 9500 jimmy in the dog house. Worked like a champ. Should work on the TV too.