Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2018, 10:16 PM   #1
Windjammer56

M.O.C. #22390
Dining table height

Just got our 3120rl home and noticed that the dinning table is almost uncomfortably high. On first inspection I do not see an easy way to lower it to a more normal eating height.. Has anyone else encountered this and did you come up with a solution?
We love the trailer just trying to get comfortable in it..
Thanks in advance
John and Mary Anne Nixon
Hilmar California

Windjammer56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:58 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
John and Mary Anne,

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy your new rig.

I do not believe the height is adjustable. We have yet to use our table to eat in over a year. We tend to eat outside or in the reclining chairs. Maybe adding a cushion to the chairs might help.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:56 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
We had the same issue and just simply added chair cushions.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:06 AM   #4
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
We had the same issue and just simply added chair cushions.
Wife said she felt like she was sitting in a high chair. Tried the cushions, a little to squishy for us so I lowered the table, a little work but not hard. Wife's happy now, and we all know what that means.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Congrats on the rig and hope that is the only issue you ever have with it! Enjoy and safe travels.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:23 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Several folks have replaced the whole set up. We're going to do that also, but we want a booth so it will be a major project for next year.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
Gary-Alberta
Established Member

M.O.C. #21650
BSHGTO,
We have the 3120RL as well, and don't particularly like the high table. I thought that if we lowered it a bit, the metal undercarriage would hit our knees.
Did you overcome this obstacle with your "fix". Can you provide a photo?
We were thinking of tearing it out and just adding a stand-alone table.....
2018 Montana 3120RL
Gary-Alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:39 PM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Wife said she felt like she was sitting in a high chair. Tried the cushions, a little to squishy for us so I lowered the table, a little work but not hard. Wife's happy now, and we all know what that means.
I am very much interested in how much you lowered the table and how you did it!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:19 PM   #9
rmthelen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12748
Send a message via MSN to rmthelen
We also have a 3120 and our table is uncomfortably LOW...........would like to raise it as my legs hardly fit between the chair and the table. Ours is a 2013
rmthelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 03:29 PM   #10
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
I am very much interested in how much you lowered the table and how you did it!
interested also, ours is uncomfortable, but we manage, paper plates lowered our food by 1"

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:12 PM   #11
SherriPie
Established Member

M.O.C. #20752
We are really tall people, my youngest being 6'9. Anyway, I always think how nice and high the table is, but wondered if it felt really high to others. Thanks for the post, I won the bet with my family.
2017 Ram 3500 dually
SherriPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:58 AM   #12
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
I will at some point

Yes I will load pics of the modification to lower the table at some point, and yes you cant go to far or your legs will hit the metal brackets but careful measuring and a test fit will be necessary if you have thick-big legs. The problem now is the slide pump motor died the last time I closed the kitchen slide and had to finish it up with the manual method and do not have a replacement motor yet, The service girls at Keystone can`t grasp the concept that if they just send me a motor and I replace it it would be cheaper for them and me than taking it to a dealer 200 miles away and paying them to do it. I told them I would send them the bad motor first then just mail out a new one. Logic escapes Blondes. We are leaving in 3 weeks for fall fun and just don`t have the time for a dealer.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:05 AM   #13
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by team bradfield View Post
interested also, ours is uncomfortable, but we manage, paper plates lowered our food by 1"
Best joke of the month
Old 09-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #14
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Also interested in how you lowered the DR table. I use mine as a desk, and my keyboard is just under my chin. Our table also tilts toward the island. Would like to know if you also had this problem and if you were able to level it up better.
Baldicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:39 AM   #15
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
worked for me

OK so this is what I did to lower the table to as close to 30 inches off the floor which is an industry standard starting from the Cave Man days to the Colonial days to today I mean go measure George Washington's desk it's 30 inch off the floor go measure Linclon`s dining table it's 30 inches off the floor so Keystone decided to make ours 33 inches and it's just plain uncomfortable, but I understand they know more than 3000 years of table making, idiots.
This is simple but time consuming and it worked for us, YMMV cause our legs aren't thick or shall we say plus size ( no offense intended here ) The table slides into a little alcove above a front fascia board ( see pic 1 where I notched the front fascia board ). Mark where the sides NOT the top but sides of the table cross this front fascia board plus 1/8 to ¼ inch wider for fudge factor on both sides ( see pic 1 ). I determined that it can be notched 1 1/8 inch down before it hits the op of the outside TV box. Measure the distance that the sides of the table sits above the front fascia board and remember that measurement for later ( mine was ½ inch ). The table is held to the wall with 4 to 6 screws and to the floor with 2 screws, remove all screws and remove table, metal side piece and metal up rights as one piece ( HEAVY, GET THE WIFE TO HELP ) and lay flat on the floor on the top for now. Draw a square line down on the front fascia board where you marked earlier for the sides of the table down the 1 1/8 inch ( or to the top of the outside TV box )on each side then draw a line level line between the vertical lines this is the notch you will cut out of the fascia. I used a battery cut off saw with wood blade from HF. Use some dark stain to touch up the raw edge so the wife doesn't complain.
Return to the table and remove the metal slide and up rights as one piece mine was held on with 8 stripped out screws so the table was ready to fall off anyway, and take out side and you cut off the bottom of the metal up right legs the 1/ 1/8 inch notch measurement PLUS PLUS PLUS the measurement you took earlier that the table side sat above the fascia board like I said mine was ½ inch.
This will make for a very tight fit to the top of the TV box but who cares, ( remember TIM ALLEN on Home Improvement show insert grunting sound here ).
Hold the metal slide up to the wall and legs resting on the floor for a test fit The top of the slide should now be level with the bottom of the notch you cut earlier in the fascia board if you measured and cut everything correctly. Screw the metal side and legs to the wall again with new holes as you have lowered the slide and the old holes won't line up anymore and be sure to leave a 1/16 inch difference in height so the table will slide back in the wall easily, have wife help and place the table back on the slide and reattach it with the screws . Your not done…………..
Go to lowes and buy table or chair leg floor protectors (see pic) I found some that were 3/8 inch tall and put them on the bottom of all the legs to raise the chairs a bit, this did help and you don't notice the height difference. Add all this up and you have a more comfortable dinning experience. Yes I know this sounds like a lot of work for a small gain in comfort but like I said in my earlier post the wife's happy now and we all know what that means…….
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0895.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	2412   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0896.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	2413   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0898.jpg
Views:	48