Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Towing fears

Maybe a silly question but how did you get used to towing something that big? I am no wus but I am a little nervous about strapping soemthing of that size to my tail end.

osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Practice, practice, and practice. When I first got my coach I went to the local high school with a few orange cones. An empty parking lot offers you a variety of options and practices. I set up my cones to make Right hand corners and left hand corners. I also used them to "practice backing into sites at different angles". The best part about an orange rubber cone is you can run it over without causing damage to your truck or coach. I did this for a couple of weekends before heading out into the wild blue yonder and it seemed to really help for me. The only other thing to remember is the rear of your coach has a wide tail swing when making hard corners. Just remember to watch for the swing as you come around through intersections.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Nerves are good, and practice is great. Build a good check list for lane changes and practice it all the time. When ever I am behind the wheel I drive as if the trailer is behind me so my reactions are always the same.
Take it down to an empty parking lot and practice turning corners and staying on or outside the lines. That will give you a feel for how wide it swings in (off track) on a turn. Then practice backing up straight as well as into parking spots from different angles. The biggest lesson when backing is that I have to pull three times farther past the pivot point as I think I should to start my turn.
Good luck.
Safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2 for both these guys. Had to back the rig thru a u then down a block straight then through an s to get it parked the first night. Practiced on the outer edges of a low volume mall on the way home. Ours is a very long wheelbase truck, so I take every turn like the Monty was back there every time.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
I had the same concerns. When we purchased it, I kept waiting for some magic lessons from the dealer and it was just okay bye, don't let the door hit you on the way out...

X3 on practicing in lots. We just hit the road. No turns to speak of so no problems there. Then we got to a big store and I practiced a little in the parking lot. If you've had a travel trailer, these do back differently. I haven't even figured it out yet as I had a bugger of a time getting it parked at the rv lot, but it is the different pivot point.

When in traffic and turning, take your time. Don't worry about holding up some other guy - go slow. Better to tick off some impatient driver than hit something. Not saying that should be your practice time, but they can wait just a second while you turn.

People probably thought I was nuts, but even before we got the trailer, I was taking corners with the new truck as if I was towing, just to get in the mindset of having it back there.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Take turns wide, get your mirrors adjusted to see down both sides, use your mirror when turning and passing, be aware of heights of underpasses, slow moves on the steering wheel backing up, X3 what the other have said.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I agree with the above comments. Also, slow down. Plan further ahead than with a car. Look further ahead for obstacles, ways out of places, etc. Learn to use your mirrors. With time and practice you will gain confidence.
I remember my first hook up and I realized I could not see out of the back window. Yikes!
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
I couldn't agree more. Practice and patience are the key. And knowing that everything is in good condition. Always take time to double check the hitch, electrical connections, lights & tires. Make a survey inside to be sure all doors are properly closed and that everything is secure before you hit the road. But the best way to be safe is to always be mindful that you are BIG and HEAVY. That means go easy and give yourself plenty of room to maneuver.

Happy motoring
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Having towed boats and other trailers starting at an early age the only thing that I do is adjust my bubble mirros so that I can see the back truck tires where they contact the road. That way I know how far the truck is from the edge of the road or curb, then I can guestimate how much of a wide turn I need to make it. I can usually see the trailer tires easier this way as well. Different strokes for different folks, but thats what works for me..... oh... and swing wide! I also have a nice set of two way radios when backing into campgrounds, its easier than reading my wifes sign language!

Old 07-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you have a truck like ours where your cell phone makes calls thru the radio, just call your wife on her phone and let her talk you thru the backing in process.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
Backing up and maneuvering your 5er are topics unto themselves. When you're motoring down the highway or in city traffic (heavy or otherwise) focus on your TV's lane position. If you're well centered in your lane, so is your Monty so you need not worry about other traffic except to know what's going on around you. Wide turns for sure but watch out for the yahoo that cuts the corner short to get ahead of you.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I agree with everything said here in this thread. In addition to all the suggestions about practice, my wife and I use walkie-talkies when backing up so she can watch the rear of the Monty and also for any kids running through the campground. It's a cheap safety item.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I took my 3400 directly from the dealer to a truck driving school and did a couple hours with them. Built my confidence immensely. I never pulled a trailer before in my life. One other hint the instructor taught me was in regards to railroad tracks and that is not to pull up to go through unless you have plenty of clearance to do so. Stop well back of the tracks so the trailer is not caught on the tracks as the light may change or traffic causes you to stop early. And always SWING WIDE, ESPECIALLY ON THOE RIGHT HAND TURNS. Don't be afraid to use two lanes to do so......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
osgoor
Established Member

M.O.C. #12645
Thanks to all for the great feeback...
osgoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
It looks like all the other posts have hit the nail on the head! Practice, patience, and don't let things get to you! You are behind the wheel and you have to depend upon yourself for the control and guidance of this ship going down the highways and byways. It has been brought up that you need to make wide turns, especially right hand turns. The reason for this is because your Monte does not follow your tow vehicles wheel tracks. The wheels of the Monte cut the corner less than the tow vehicle because you are turning with the pivot point well ahead of the wheels of the Monte!
As was said previously, if you can find an open parking lot that you can practice backing, turning, and pulling the unit is the best thing you can do to get your confidence up. IF you can buy some of those orange pylons put them in a straight row and practice backing both between them and down the row putting them along one side of the unit then the other by using the mirrors and the wife giving you directions as to which way the rear of the unit needs to go. exav8tr had a good idea of going to a truck driving school if you can arrange it. They will definately teach you the basics and give you some confidence in yourself. Remember only praactice can get you there! Keep us informed on how you are doing!

P.S. If you come to the Fall Rally in Goshen, IN you can go through a class put on by members of MOC on handsignals when backing and also the wife can take a driving class put on by Montana. Unfortunately, they do not let any of the husbands into the class or even on the property while the class is going on. I think they need to put a class on for the men also if they had time! It would still be beneficial to all of us!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Yes, Yes, Yes on all of the above posts. Let me add just one thing: find a place where you can travel at highway speeds and practice emergency breaking - where you actually use the brake controller to help slow yourself down. By doing this you will have an intrinsic memory as to how much distance you need to stop which will translate into how you tow!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #17
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
That's a good point Michael. And also knowing how to set the sensitivity on the brake controller. The Ford manual has a really good section on setting and testing the trailer brake as would an aftermarket trailer brake.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:06 AM   #18
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We sell them everyday to beginners. In fact I have a lady 68 yrs old picking up a new one today who has never towed before . Her plans are to go to a large parking lot and practice. You can do it also. You could also go to the Nnational Rally in Goshen and take the driving school. If you were here we could go Ali to the Arena lot and practice. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:15 AM   #19
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
And you can attend our hand signals class and learn the skills needed for backing up the rig safely.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 AM   #20
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with all the above. Never gave it much thought until I was pulling out of the dealer's lot and looked back and thought, "WOW, that thing is BIG!".
Then I was very careful driving the 75 miles or so home the first time. Especially the corners. Took lots of care making sure I took wide turns. Turned into a service station very carefully taking a wide right turn, then a left turn to come around the front. Oops! Right over a curb! Takes some time to get used to how much the trailer turns inside the truck turn radius.
I bought some cheap orange cones at WM and took them to the local high school football field parking lot when it was empty. Set up the cones to practice turns and also for backing into narrow sites.
As mentioned, practice, practice, practice. And you will still probably hit an occasional curb.
And be sure to watch those low hanging trees and service staion awnings. Have not hit any yet, but did have to make an abrupt stop as I happened to glance in the side mirror and saw a limb just a couple feet from hitting the top right corner at a state park.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote