Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Mail service

We move around a lot in our 5th wheel as my husband runs crane putting up wind towers. We sold our home in Oregon and have had our mail sent to my brother in laws house and then they forward it to us. This is getting kind of old for them so I was wondering what others do about your mail if you don't have a stick home. Thanks in advance for your suggestions. What do you do about taxes? Do you have to have a permenant address?

cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Many use a mail forwarding service.
Escapees has one as well as Passport America and there are many more.
You open an account and your mail is sent to that address and when you call they forward it to you at the address you give them just like your brother.
Many others will be along to tell you of a lot more services I am sure.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
We use "My Home Address" http://www.myhomeaddressinc.com out of Emery South Dakota. This allows us to be South Dakota Residents. South Dakota has no state income tax, low truck and rv insurance, low medical insurance, and no vehical inspections. "My Home Address" is in a small town in a small county between Mitchell and Sioux Falls. This gives us great service for vehicle registartion and quick response to any questions we have. They service over 2000 RV'ers. Also they set us up to vote by absenty ballot and you do not have to worry about jury duty.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We are still using a mail forwarding company in Anchorage, AK, however, we will be looking into the SD companies or even Escapees here in Texas. I got hassled by the Alaska State department of Elections when we tried to reregister this last year as we do not have a "Physical" address in AK anymore. I'm not sure what to do other than use a friends address in Alaska (but that would be lying also). Alaska was my last known permanent address yet I can no longer vote there. Where in the heck am I supposed to exercise my right to vote for the next government. I was not trying to vote in local elections, only in Federal and State.....South Dakota is looking better to me, although we are in Texas now and plan on visiting the Escapees Park in Livingston. I would suggest a trip to SD to register there...I'm told you must be in the state to get your SD drivers license, after that everything is done my mail.......Sounds good to me......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #5
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We use a mail forwarder, Alternative Resources, www.alternativeresources.net, in Sioux Falls, SD and have found them to be quite good. SD has no income tax, low vehicle registration, low insurance and no vehicle inspection.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
We also like the My Home Address company in Emery, S.D. Ron and team have made our full timing easy. The company screens what you want to receive in your mail. We receive no junk mail. Usually two day delivery to anywhere in the country. Depending upon the weekend or postal holidays, when we call, but the mail is always sent where we are temporarily stationed. The only reason we traveled there was to get our picture taken for our drivers license. There is no driving test, just eye test, and basic form. The whole experience took about 20 minutes for both of us. Vehicle registration is easy also, when it is due, depending upon the first letter in your last name, My Home Address sends out a renewal form about 2 months early, and you send the money to them and they send you the sticker. They only charge $10/vehicle to handle the registration. Give them a call. My box number is #2583
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:45 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We do the same as Pam. AR is really great and we have had no problems with them. There are a lot of Moc'ers who use them.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We use our local, to home, UPS store. We have a mail box with them. We call when we want them to forward our mail. When we are home, we pick it up ourselves.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
We have been using Americas Mailbox in Rapid City, SD for over 5 years. SD is a "no income tax" state so we also claim that has our "home of record".
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:28 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our mail service is with Escapees and has been for 10 years. Outstanding service. One of the great things about this service is that you can call them to see if certain mail has arrived and have them open it and read it to you, if you desire. This only happened once when I needed to know if my new membership card for the Elks Club had arrived. It had and they faxed a copy to me so that I could use it at the location I was at in Colorado Springs, CO.

I'm not sure I would trust this kind of service to any other mail forwarding service. With Escapees, since we are Lifetime members, we feel like we're dealing with family.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #11
travelRN
Established Member

M.O.C. #9960
WOW I did not know they had these services. We are selling our stick house and moving into our Montana. We own land in Minnesota and even though they have state income tax we will use that as our permanent address. We are building a small cabin with a bathroom and kitchen and bedroom so when we travel (I am an RN and will b e a traveling RN) we can deduct expenses. As long as we have a stick cabin in Minnesota, most is deductable. I thought I would have to burden my sisterinlaw with the chore of my mail. THis is nice to know. I do most all bills by bank automatic transactions. But know I will have some mail to deal with. Man I love this forum.
travelRN is offline   Reply With Quote