Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2018, 04:32 PM   #1
gordo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21136
Question Belly Heaters

My 2018 3130 has the compartment heaters. Are they electric heat, or propane?
I was thinking, if they are electric, I could leave the rig plugged in along the side of the house, and not have to worry about freezing pipes.

Then again, wife is always telling me not to think too much...

Will this work????

gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:23 PM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Mine just has one duct from the furnace that dumps into the lower compartment so you could say propane.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
cpaulsen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18275
My furnace puts heat into the storage areas but I have tank heaters also.
Old 10-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #4
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Not sure what compartment heaters are. ? As far as I know (as mentioned) there is a 2" or so flex duct off the furnace that simply sticks down into the front tank area. It will only keep the tanks and lines from freezing if the propane furnace is on. If you have electric heated tanks, the heaters will prevent them from freezing, but will do next to nothing for the fresh water pipes.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Gordon, when you state compartment heaters are you talking about the switch/es that are on your control panel? If so, those compartment heaters are tank heaters and have nothing to do with the water system in your unit except for storage of waste water. They only heater that is going into the underbelly where your water pipes run is a single two inch duct that comes from the furnace and runs into the underbelly to provide SOME heat when the furnace is running but only when the furnace is running. Since you live in Idaho and we know it gets rather cold there just plugging in your unit will not keep your pipes from freezing. I would be winterizing your unit if I were you. You can do it the two ways- 1. The blowout method--where you connect an air compressor up the the unit and blow out any water that might be in the water lines with 40-50 lbs of air pressure. I do my unit this way but add "pink stuff" down the drains and in the toilet for keeping the gasket from drying out over the winter. 2. the regular winterizing method by pumping "pink stuff" into the lines until it comes out of the faucets(both hot and cold), shower head, toilet, the outside shower, low point drains, fresh water tank fill line, black tank flush line and the washer hookup faucet. I do not recall any compartment heaters on any of the units when touring the factory during the last Fall Rally in Goshen unless I missed something on the tour.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:02 PM   #6
gordo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21136
THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO...
I guess I was looking for a shortcut. I was trying to avoid doing it because I still plan on using the rig for a trip to Cali for Thanksgiving.
I like the idea of the air blow out, kinda like my sprinklers. Easy, and not hard to do again when I get back home.
Again, thanks to all for the advise...Safe Travels to you all
gordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Be very careful with the blowout method. ( I personally do not trust it) There is know way of knowing if ALL the water has ben blown out. Some water will settle in low spots of pipes. Some of the pipes are in TOTALY inaccessible places that run through the camper floor. I know many people that have been burned by that method in the spring when they went to use there unit. They had a free sprinkler system from all the broken pipes that froze.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #8
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
As I recall, the dealer told us to not use the tank heaters if tanks were empty. And, I think they are electric. Don't know if this is accurate info so jump in! Remember the ice maker if you have one. Manual says to not use anti-freeze to winterize the ice maker?? We have not for two winters in Tennessee with no problems but do drain the lines to it as recommended by dealer.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I think you are correct. The tank heaters are 120 volt electric pads that are applied/stuck to the tanks bottom. Without liquid in the tanks I suppose they could melt, but who knows. I don't buy the benefit of the tank heaters 1-because there are none on the fresh water tank 2-It will take a lot of cold and time to freeze say, 10 gallons of water. I would be much more worried about the water in the small water pipes.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybanker View Post
Remember the ice maker if you have one. Manual says to not use anti-freeze to winterize the ice maker?? We have not for two winters in Tennessee with no problems but do drain the lines to it as recommended by dealer.

Ours came new from the factory(Feb.2018) WITH anti-freeze in the ice maker. The dealer has also advised me to winterize the same way as it came from the factory's thats what my plan is.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #11
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We used the air method before we went full time, but you have to remember to put antifreeze in the washer as well as the ice maker if you have one. You know how I learned that.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 06:35 PM   #12
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
Ice Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
We used the air method before we went full time, but you have to remember to put antifreeze in the washer as well as the ice maker if you have one. You know how I learned that.
Yep, on those bad under 15 degree nights if you don't do antifreeze with the ice maker you probably will lose the ice maker solenoid for sure. Even down MS way it has happened to be even when I had put a bulb light in the rear area. Best to be safe for those bad cold periods.
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 09:53 PM   #13
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've used the air method for several years supplemented by antifreeze in all the P Traps. If you run the air long enough on each faucet's hot and cold line as well as the stool, you'll not have any problems. There will not be enough remaining water droplets in the lines to matter. Don't forget the out door shower, black tank rinse, and the water fill line to your fresh water tank. Like said, the tank heaters are 12 VDC and will do nothing to keep your hot and cold water lines, fittings, and faucets from freezing.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:19 AM   #14
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Maybe - blow the lines clear and use the vodka mist with the air … I know there was a lot of discussion on the use of booze but if the boat floats, paddle …
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 01:22 PM   #15
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendodom View Post
Yep, on those bad under 15 degree nights if you don't do antifreeze with the ice maker you probably will lose the ice maker solenoid for sure. Even down MS way it has happened to be even when I had put a bulb light in the rear area. Best to be safe for those bad cold periods.
Our manual says to shut off water to the ice maker with the valve under the sink and open the drain below the underbelly between the k/sink and the freezer and leave it open. That has worked for us with temps down in the teens.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:28 AM   #16
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
I drain, refill with anti freeze, (mine takes 3 gallons) then blow out the antifreeze. This assures any low points are protected, the antifreeze (even though non toxic) is not soaking into my lines all winter, and all the drains/p traps/tanks are protected. Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure they say...
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:26 AM   #17
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendodom View Post
sad but in so nany years the light bulb way will go the way of the t-rex..
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:47 PM   #18
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Not for me, I have several hundred in boxes. LOL