Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2020, 07:15 AM   #1
Vet4jdc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23051
Sidewall repair

I hoped I would never need to ask this question. I got to close to a building in the campground and ended up with a 6” x24” gouge in the side of our MHC between the two slides. It went all the way through to the kitchen. Everything in the kitchen is cosmetic and can be repaired. Wondering what is the process for repairing a hole in the side of our rigs? How is this done without seeing seams?

Vet4jdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Did something similar with a tag along we had years ago. Using auto repair fiberglass kit, patched outside damage. Then went to a local sign store, had an aluminum US flag made and sized correctly and placed that over the patch. Looked nice!

To do it right will require a good auto body or boat repair shop familiar with fiberglass, gelcoat and matching paint colors if applicable. $$$
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:07 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Same as 1retired06. Bondo fiberglass repair, lots of hard sanding to smooth it out once it hardens, color match the paint as close as possible, or cover with a decal. We did this just a few weeks after we purchsed our Montana. Covered the scratch with new decals, but had to position them a bit different than when factory installed.

Some time later, front cap made contact with the truck bed and cracked the edge of the front cap where it turns under the bottom. Same process, except I could not color match, so just painted a new color, and then used gel coat on top of it. I used some pin-striping tape to cover the jagged edges of the paint. Can you tell where the original crack was:

My dealer would have charged me a fortune for something that cost me about $25.00 for the Bondo kit and some 1500 grit metal sandpaper for automobiles.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
same as others have posted, I tagged an awning of another rig in a tight campground, put a hole in the side, fiberglass repair kit from autozone and flag decal

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote