Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #21
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I was reading the other day about a device that you can mount in your truck that measures the height of the overpasses, etc, as you approach. It was Giraffeg4. Anybody use this before? I think it was a couple of hundred.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:06 PM   #22
Stvchurch
Established Member

M.O.C. #17199
Hey PackerFan...here is the link. It appears this only works with the 430n model and not the 8.4an (which of course is what I have)...but you are welcome to give it a shot. I'm still trying though! I've seen multiple success stories with the 430n model, so if you have that one you are golden!

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39623
Stvchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 03:51 AM   #23
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I also have the 8.4an model so I suppose I will have to wait for something else to come along. Thanks for the info though anyways!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #24
ontheroad10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17252
I am very curious about what others are doing to measure their rig. I had a dealer measure mine twice. Once it was 13' 9", second time 13' 4". I have a high profile satellite dome about one inch above the air conditioner and have added goodyear g614 tires. The specs that came with the unit says height is 12' 9" and Keystone tells me that is supposed to include the air conditioner. I am planning a trip through Texas and Louisiana and would like to know for sure, but with all the conflicting readings, I doubt I will ever feel comfortable going under a bridge rated at 13' 6", though there are times where you have little choice. Do most of you feel comfortable with your knowledge of the height of your rig?
ontheroad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:05 PM   #25
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Hook it to your truck on level ground and check the height at different points on the rig. Yes one has to get on the roof but you want to know how tall it is. In my mind that is the only way to be sure.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:30 PM   #26
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ontheroad10

I am very curious about what others are doing to measure their rig. I had a dealer measure mine twice. Once it was 13' 9", second time 13' 4". I have a high profile satellite dome about one inch above the air conditioner and have added goodyear g614 tires. The specs that came with the unit says height is 12' 9" and Keystone tells me that is supposed to include the air conditioner. I am planning a trip through Texas and Louisiana and would like to know for sure, but with all the conflicting readings, I doubt I will ever feel comfortable going under a bridge rated at 13' 6", though there are times where you have little choice. Do most of you feel comfortable with your knowledge of the height of your rig?
A 2 man job, but here's what I did: Hitched up to the truck and up on the roof, I held a laser level on the top of my A/C at the highest point. On the ground, my helper started to extend a telescoping fiberglass pole I have until it hit the laser beam being held level by myself up on my trailer. Once the pole is extended to the correct spot (just hitting the laser beam) he locked the pole, laid it on the ground, and then I measured the length. I'm 13'4". It will never get any higher, but might drop a bit when I load the trailer and it sinks into the truck a little more.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:29 PM   #27
Former StClairSailor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17151
With the dealer, measured the height of our 310RET before pulling off the lot. Spec states 12' 9". I measured 12' 9" at the top of the a/c cover. That number was written down and affixed to the windshield. Even when not towing, I find myself watching bridge heights. Purchased Allstays app recently but still trying to make it work.

John & Laura___& Bentley
2017 Montana 3950BR
2015 GMC Sierra Denali Dually
Former StClairSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:21 PM   #28
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I have a 6' level that I purchased from Harbor Freight (cheap). When hooked up I simply place my 10' step ladder along side the front of my Montana where my front air is, since that is the highest point when hooked up. I level across with the level and drop my tape measure down to the ground. The DW reads the bottom of the tape measure on the ground.

The whole process takes about 10 minutes and you know for sure. It is not difficult.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:57 AM   #29
Stvchurch
Established Member

M.O.C. #17199
I finally was able to measure myself (in a similar way to JandC above) and we came out at 13' 5' (it was actually a hair less, but I rounded up). Guess I don't need to be as worried as I was, but I'm still worried....
Stvchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #30
Sundogette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13254
We can add to the Allstays and Rand McNally users list. Pete has also stated that especially in the east, if the road is old and the clearance is close, we aren't going that way....can't trust how many times a road has been re paved. We also measured the height ourselves with the truck hooked up and ready to roll. 13' 3" with the low profile front a/c
Sundogette is offline   Reply With Quote