Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #41
wmclark43
Established Member

M.O.C. #19165
Carl-
OK will let you know the outcome of all this.
Be safe - Bill

wmclark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #42
wmclark43
Established Member

M.O.C. #19165
One more question

Click image for larger version

Name:	SatHookUp.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	2108It seems the more I learn the more questions I have. What is that large connector by the cable coax connector? See the picture. One of those things that I don't need to mess with to get satellite dish working?
Bill
Old 08-16-2018, 01:57 PM   #43
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
That is a standard 12V plug. As the Bedroom TV is a 12V model in your year, you need this to power the TV when you move it downstairs.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #44
wmclark43
Established Member

M.O.C. #19165
OK and thanks
BC
Old 08-16-2018, 04:09 PM   #45
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
211z worked in the bedroom so I moved it downstairs to the living room and moved wally to bedroom. Wally wouldn't work at all in bedroom. Coax run must be longer although I'd think it would be shorter.

Got mad, brought wally into the house and ordered another 211z.

Wally isn't working real well in the house either. Won't pick up channel 82, all the other receivers in my house do.

I hate wally.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:29 PM   #46
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Not sure what you’re asking, but coach cable should be all tv’s. Sat should be Satellite. Your TV’s have an input menu that you’ll need to choose which one you’re trying to use.

Mark
Old 08-17-2018, 06:23 AM   #47
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I wasn't asking about anything, just complaining about the wally receiver. I'm sure it doesn't run enough power back to the winegard pathwayx2 to operate it, but the 211z does.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:42 PM   #48
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post
I have RG6 in my 2012 so you should too. Both HD and Lowes have he tool for checking out cables for around $25. I don't know the exact name but it has colored RF adapters and a small display. I borrowed AZ Traveler's tool when we were at the Spring Rally and it worked slick. Here are a couple from a quick Google search.

https://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet....SABEgIkwvD_BwE
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-C...ester/50278121

So I've got the exact Lowe's tester linked here. I'm getting signals from the wall back to my coax going into my DirecTV splitter, but for some reason I can't get my Genie Mini's to recognize the SWM network. It's kinda driving me nuts.

Am I correct in believing that if the tester comes clean that it's not being run through some kind of behind-the-wall splitter that I can't see?

Background: 2018 3050BR, Genie is HR44-200 and works when I wire the bedroom coax to the #1 spot on the DTV 4-way splitter. It doesn't like to work in my living room when I put that coax in the #1 spot. Curiously, as I was testing this I did get it to work in the living room when that coax was on #2 and the bedroom was still on #1. This was shortly after I'd loaded the programming in the bedroom and was starting a move for more troubleshooting. This surprised the heck out of me. ...The next day it didn't work. /boggle

Mini Genie's are C51-500's.

This system worked in my stick-and-brick, so I'm not concerned about the DTV hardware.

Any tips here would be great. Sorry for the hijack, but seeing that tester linked here got my attention.

Jeremy
Old 08-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #49
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierp View Post
<snip>
Am I correct in believing that if the tester comes clean that it's not being run through some kind of behind-the-wall splitter that I can't see?
</snip>
Good question and I don't know the answer. I suspect the simple tool won't detect a splitter.

Quote:
<snip>Background: 2018 3050BR, Genie is HR44-200 and works when I wire the bedroom coax to the #1 spot on the DTV 4-way splitter. It doesn't like to work in my living room when I put that coax in the #1 spot.
</snip>
The #1 post on the DTV splitter has to be the one connected to the Power Inserter (PI) and then a receiver. I have always had the Genie in the LR cabled to the PI and then to the splitter. The BR mini-Genie connects to the Sat labeled cable and to the splitter (in port #2). I always start up the LR Genie and PI first. Then once it completes, I start the BR mini-Genie. I had thought the mini-Genie was incapable of establishing the sat linkup which is why I choose this process.

I am lucky to have independent sat wiring. You can try using a dedicated coax strung through the coach to the switch to see if that works. That will tell you if there is a problem with the in-wall coax. If it works (I bet it does) then start looking for a splitter behind the convenience center or BR wall switch.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #50
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
So I may have a winner here. Behind the wall cover was a Diplexer that was taking the only coax and splitting it to the SAT and CATV/ANT jacks. Pretty safe bet that this is my issue. I'll test it when I get somewhere where I have line of sight to a satellite. Probably a few weeks out, but I have renewed confidence.

So, to answer one question, the continuity tester was able to send a signal through the Diplexer, so while that is useful for identifying cables, it doesn't seem like a complete troubleshooting option.

On your other point, The Winegard Trav'ler manual shows two options for setting up with the power inserter.

Option 2 is what you're describing, with the PI going into both post #1 and the DVR, but option 1 (which is how mine is wired) has the PI taking the signal from the dish, then outputting to the 4-way switch INPUT post. Then the DVR comes off of post 1.

Is there any reason that option #1 wouldn't be equally good? In theory I can then hook up my Genie and 3 Genie Mini's, which I actually do have. My rig has 4 (!) TV's, so this is a potential upside, though honestly I don't expect to ever use the outside one and my kid will almost certainly not watch the one in his bonus room. (Other than for a gaming monitor.)
Old 08-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #51
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Good to know the toner tool doesn't detect diplexers. The DTV install manual has a bold statement that diplexers will not work with SWM, Not a problem with my 2012 as it has dedicated coax for each type of signal.

I don't see any reason why Option #1 (PI before switch) wouldn't work. All of the DTV install manuals I have looked at show that as a viable configuration.

I have the PI and the HR34 Genie together in the entertainment center. This satisfies two needs for me. One, the PI is inside as required. Two, I have an inverter that feeds entertainment area with a dedicated circuit. The DTV receiver, PI, TV, Stereo all run off this circuit. If I were to put the PI in front of the splitter (which is in the convenience center) I would have had to add another circuit to the inverter.

The mini-Genie is in the bedroom and isn't used all that often. It is powered up separately if needed. It uses a small inverter
jf shore power isn't available.

There is no reason you can't connect all your mini-Genies to the switch regardless of the location of the PI. I only have one mini but I have connected a neighbor's DVR when he was blocked by trees.

It is too bad they went to diplexors as now the coax can either be either sat or antenna but not both. I like the ability to switch inputs between DTV and the OTA/cable coax.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:36 AM   #52
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl n susan View Post

It is too bad they went to diplexors as now the coax can either be either sat or antenna but not both. I like the ability to switch inputs between DTV and the OTA/cable coax.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Agreed. SMW won't allow any kind of inline switch, so I guess it'd be either a manual cutover or fishing another coax. Neither appeals much.

Thanks for your help. I'll reply to this thread if I find success. First I need to find a clear sky. Home base has a lot of trees. Great for relaxation, crappy for satellite.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #53
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Question. I know SWM doesn't work with automatic switches, but what about a manual switch? Wondering if I can put something like this in my rig to allow me to manually switch from my rooftop antenna to my SWM satellite feed?
Old 08-21-2018, 01:42 PM   #54
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have no idea. But for 7 bucks it is worth a try. SWM uses a wide band of signal (small MHz to 2 or 3 Ghz) so that may be a limiting factor. The "Guide for Using DIRECTV® SWM Technology
with Winegard® Mobile Satellite TV Antennas" PDF shows the use of an A/B switch when you have two sat antennas (portable dome and SL3) so I think it will work. That means you probably have to go out to the convenience center to switch inputs. That also kills the network connection to the mini-Genie. But it should solve the single coax issue.

Old 08-21-2018, 02:20 PM   #55
Bierp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21854
Yeah, that makes sense. I don't expect to use the antenna much on the road, but at my home base the satellite doesn't have line of sight.

I don't watch much TV, but I do want to be able to see the Seahawks games and I can't stream them with Sunday Ticket.

I'll give it a shot in the future and will report back. (Might look for a nicer switch first)

J
Old 08-21-2018, 10:26 PM   #56
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Someone posted a picture of the splitter behind the convenience center. I think it was the diplexor mentioned above. I was confused until I read up on it. It had 3 input and 2 output (or vice versa). I couldn't figure out how you have 3 in and 2 out??? Then I figured out somehow it senses the signal and 'routes' it to the proper output. This doesn't work when the receivers like the 211z and the pathways x2 dish. The pathways get power from the receiver as well as the controlling information for aiming (I think). These splitters don't handle this 'outgoing' signal/power stuff.
Elsewhere there are at least one thread where someone gave me advice on drilling a hole in the side of the trailer and connecting an external coax 'box'. I run my sat. cable to this and on the inside direct to the TV. I have satellite, local cable, and over the air now.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:59 PM   #57
Snoopy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18896
Send a message via MSN to Snoopy Send a message via Yahoo to Snoopy
Carl you are absolutely right. Keystone stepped up and paid for my dealer to install a out side coax connection directly to my Dish sat box in the living room. It is mounted on the slide out wall. This should fix our problem with our tailgater connectivity issue.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote