Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #1
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
bullseye levelers

Well, I know someone had a post just lately on auto, levelers and now I can not find it for nothing,yes I used the search( call it old age), but it did not give me anything newer than year old post,anyway does anyone have bullseye levelers on there MOC? Do you like or dislike? Would you change to a diff brand?
Can you remove and put on new rig, if same GVW ? Hydraulic or electric?
Cost on bullseye $4k elec installed.
Cost on level-up $5k+ hydraulic
Which is easier to use ? I want fully automatic and memory of hookup position.
Finally,is there a unit that you can use from inside the TV,once you unhook ?

Thanks
(bear)David Swarat

bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bear

Well, I know someone had a post just lately on auto, levelers and now I can not find it for nothing,yes I used the search( call it old age), but it did not give me anything newer than year old post,anyway does anyone have bullseye levelers on there MOC? Do you like or dislike? Would you change to a diff brand?
Can you remove and put on new rig, if same GVW ? Hydraulic or electric?
Cost on bullseye $4k elec installed.
Cost on level-up $5k+ hydraulic
Which is easier to use ? I want fully automatic and memory of hookup position.
Finally,is there a unit that you can use from inside the TV,once you unhook ?

Thanks
(bear)David Swarat

I know nothing about the two systems you mentioned. But I am a very satisfied customer of the BigFoot Levelers. It has four hydraulic levelers, each with its own hydraulic tank and pump. No hydraulic fluid being pumped long distances throughout the rig. It was pricey but sure does the job that I wanted done. It doesn't have the ability to memorized the unhook position, and I never need one anyway. You can purchase a small level that provides a slide marker where you can slide the marker to the spot where the bubble is when you disconnect. I just don't see the need for anything like that. After a lot of hitching up and unhitching, it just becomes automatic anyway. It could be that my TrailerSaver hitch makes it easier to hitch up, I don't know. I know it's easier than when I had my Reese hitch.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 03:46 AM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Dave, We have the Level-Up system. Works great for what little we've been able to use it as it wasn't installed until late Oct and hasn't been much camping weather since then. I think it is suppose to return back to the un-hook height once all jacks are retracted, but not sure. If you wait until the Fall Rally in Goshen, I think I saw somewhere on here that they might be running a special again for Montana owners. Maybe someone will be along with more info. No matter what system, sure beats hauling 1/2 ton of boards and planks for leveling.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #4
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Thanks, guys for input,hope more folks will reply. I know there are a lot of RVers who probably use some sort of auto, system.
I have heard of BIGFOOT but no one within 400 miles installs.
So info,info,info please

Thanks
David in beautiful Coeur D Alene,Idaho
Old 01-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I also vote for LevelUp by Lippert/Trailair. Very efficient and priced competitively.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Stiles,

Why did you go with levelup? was it cost,convenience,operation,and why hydraulic over electric ?

David
Life is a gift
Old 01-20-2011, 10:27 AM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I went with Level-Up because of the promo price offered at the Fall Rally. I wasn't at the Rally, but still worked out a deal with Lippert for a good price. Since I have Hydraulic Slides it was just an upgrade to the Pump and running lines.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We went with level up because of cost and the recommendations of those who previously purchase it. Today I took Monty in to an axle shop to have the axle measured and confirmed that it was bent. The guys in the shop had not seen any type of leveling system on a fifth wheel and asked if I could lift the the tires off the floor enough to take weight off the axles alowing them to raise the axles enough to rotate the tires.

I have not done this intentionally with the Level Up but gave it a try. The system lifted the coach more than enough to allow them to do their work. Each side had to be raised individually as the system would not allow me to lift both sides at the same time. The same was true with lowering the coach.

Each time we use the Level Up we are more impressed and happy thatwe bought it. I can't wait until the next rally so we can express our opinions directly to Lippert.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #9
bear
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9827
Orv,
A question for you on the BIG FOOT, can you lift the Monty off the ground to change a tire(and for winter storage) and where did they locate the jacks?
Did you self install or other?

thanks
David
Old 01-20-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bear

Orv,
A question for you on the BIG FOOT, can you lift the Monty off the ground to change a tire(and for winter storage) and where did they locate the jacks?
Did you self install or other?

thanks
David
Yes. As a matter of fact, when I have the wheel bearings repacked or check the brake linings, I lift the entire rig up so the wheels are completely off the ground. This allows for quick brake adjustments also.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:05 PM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Quote:
quote:Stiles,

Why did you go with levelup? was it cost,convenience,operation,and why hydraulic over electric ?
I had explored the Big Foot, but the price made it undoable for my budget. Then I had trouble with my front legs, drove to Goshen for repairs (was in Minnesota at the time). I happened in on the promotion for the LevelUp. I saw it demonstrated and did not think there was any appreciable difference in the operation and quality between LevelUp and Big Foot. The promotional price was less than half the cost of either system, so since I needed repairs anyway, it was a no-brainer for me.

My installation was in October and I have moved from pleased to ecstatic over the system. Today I took the rig about 50 miles to a dealer to have the Norcold recall service done. What used to be a big hassle to hook up and unhook to do something like this was almost a non-event. The service techs stood around and watched me set the unit down and drive away, return and hook it back up. Their comment was that is really a slick system for a fifth wheel. They were obviously impressed.

Hydraulic over electric? Hydraulic is faster. I have one pump motor, not four or six electric motors to maintain. When I get the opportunity, I will go to hydraulic disc brakes too.

Getting back to the home site in 33 degree weather with a stiff north wind dropping the temperature by the minute, the reduced time and increased ease of setting up made the task much less miserable than the old system would have been.

Which ever automatic system you choose to install, you will be glad you did, especially as you age where time and/or increasing physical limitation robs you of the joy of RVing.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote