Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2007, 04:03 PM   #21
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Bill,

Bull Run was quiet as we were there mid-week and the season really wasn't "in" yet. The only staff we interacted with were the married couple at the desk and they were very very nice. It's a lovely wooded park - we took one hike but otherwise spent time in the Big Sky and practicing parking in the big empty parking lot. Lucky us (and lucky those people who weren't there!!!) No sewer or water, just 30 amp elec. They do have a dump station with potable water and that worked fine for our short stay.

Rich,

We are going to Luray, VA in the Shanadoah Valley for a long week-end, leave tomorrow and return Monday. We have a pull-through - still need more practice backing up - I have to say I was impressed with David's driving (the second day was better than the first - LOL).

We'll be at "The Country Waye" RV resort near Luray Caverns. Based on their web site, and the reviews we read, it appears to be very nice and the lady on the phone was lovely. Full hook ups and large pull throughs. We'll do some site-seeing and more fiddling with our new Big Sky.

We are loving our Big Sky - but all the time and work to get ready to have fun is pooping us out!!!!!

Jo-Anna

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:41 AM   #22
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Good lookin rig and happy to hear your 1st outing went so well. So I take it the head didn't suffer any major trauma this time? If not then it was perfect. One thing about backing these things I have found... some days go good, some days go bad, even if you have been doing it for years. Don't worry because you do not have to be perfect when parking it. None of us are....................
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:03 AM   #23
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
David and Jo-Anna,

Congratulations on a successful first trip!

I too, had problems backing, especially when everyone was helping! David, you might just try doing it yourself without any one helping except having Jo-Anna spot for you, make sure she looks at tree branches and helps you line up to the sewer. If you have to pull forward and adjust, well then, you usually can see better out the mirrors…it just takes practice, time and a little confidence. Just keep pulling a little forward and get the truck lined up so you can see then just back straight back….simple.

Every one has had to learn this driving technique, you will too. Give it lots of time, and patience.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #24
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
David, one little tid-bit that I found on the internet was if you are trying to straighten the truck up with the trailer just turn the steering wheel toward the side that you see more of in the rear view mirror. Or if you see a lot of the left side of the trailer in the mirror then turn the steering wheel left and you will straighten the truck up with the trailer.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:32 PM   #25
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Thanks for the good advice. I will definitely keep practicing--no chance I will be overconfident on this one.

Felt good about our trip today from DC down to the Shenandoah Valley. We were going up and down lots of hills, trying to build up some speed on the downhill leg to help get up the next hill. Just wish they didn't have those narrow little bridges at the bottom of the hills--glad we didn't have any large trucks trying to cross those skinny little bridges at the same time that I was taking up all of my lane and some of the oncoming lane of traffic. LOL!!!!

The F350 did quite well going up the hills, but sometimes revved up quite high on the downhill portions if I took my foot off the accelerator and let it coast--is that normal when in the tow haul mode?

P.S. Tom, I told you it's a good thing that it was my head I kept slamming into the corner of the bedroom slide and not some more vulnerable body part--finally enjoyed a benefit from being hard headed. LOL!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #26
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Another suggestion about backing up that I always use. Once I find the spot I stop before trying to back in and walk the sight looking for overhead clearance and other obsticles. See where all the hooks ups are and then put something easily visible on the ground where I want the drivers side wheels on the Monty to be. (Robbie's great post) This is a great reference point for the spotter and yourself through the mirrors. Then getting back into the truck while pulling it by I try to lineup the Monty so that it has the least amount of turning to back it in. Always give yourself extra room past the back up point so that you can make gradual turns. Most people trying to make a very sharp turn with the Monty get themselves into the frustration game. As you get used to backing you will be able to make the sharper turns when you have to. Backing a 5th wheel hitch is totally differant that backing a bumper pull. Took me a few times before I got the differance between the two figured out.

Happy to hear your head is in great shape! LOL

Tom
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote