Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2018, 07:01 PM   #1
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Self Adhesive Wall Tile Backsplash

Having an issue in our new 2018 1/2 3701LK. The tile backsplash is pretty to look at but horrendous to keep on the wall !! Its residential style tile,NOT designed for mobile units and or fluctuating temperatures. They keep coming loose and some even have fallen off and folded into half onto each other, thus making them impossible to separate to reuse. Now waiting on factory to send replacement tiles.

Do you think it wold serve me best to put small dabs of silicone on each corner and in the middle before reinstalling, it should give it some flexibility Im thinking, and help them stay attached to the wall.

Open to other suggestions and or possible solutions to this issue.

CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:34 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I installed residential tiles on our backsplash. I will be going out to the camper this week and I can get the name of the fabric I put on the wall prior to placing the tiles up. I also put a special grout on it also. I'll get the names of both and post here. I purchased it all at Home Depot. The fabric is sticky on both sides and sticks to the wall and the tiles then stick to it. They have gone down the hiways and biways from NE to AZ and back and have had no problems with it coming loose at all. We had tried to put the self-stick tiles up first but they did not hold so went to what we have now and no problems.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 04:58 AM   #3
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We installed Smart Tiles on our previous (SOB) unit and they stayed on very well. That unit did not have much for a backsplash - just black wallpaper. The Smart Tiles really made a difference in the appearance. They are essentially padded stick on tiles, some kind of vinyl or plastic.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 05:21 AM   #4
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Same here as loneoak, peal and stick tiles, Ours are stainless steel 1x1 in squares on a sheet. Use a little rubbing alcohol before you stick them to the wall. thats probably why your oem tiles keep coming off, the wall has something on it to keep the tiles from sticking.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I went with true residential tile matrix one foot square with 3/4 inch glass, metal, and tile squares stuck on the matrix. I put those up with low voc construction adhesive and have not had any issues. Even regular grout or the epoxy grout works very well.
Old 05-23-2018, 04:46 PM   #6
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Thanks for all the ideas and suggestions! Looking forward to what the product is that was used by Rondo. I will definitely be redoing the backsplash sometime soon,with better quality materials.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #7
TWC84
Established Member

M.O.C. #20918
I'm interested in what Rondo used as well ...
TWC84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 08:19 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
OK gang, sorry it took so long but have been busy here with lawn care and weeding in two different place. I finally found the name of the double sided stick'm sheets that I used on our back splashes in the Monte! I used it in the kitchen, the two sinks we have in the bedroom and potty room. It is called Mussel Board and we got it at Lowes or Home Depot. They both have it but one calls it something else. It come in rolls and just make sure that when you go to put it on you put it on straight because it is not that easy to peel off if you put it on crooked. Once it is on you either roll it with a wallpaper roller or you can just tamp it with the palm of your hand. I did both depending on the tightness in corners and etc. Once on you let it set for a bit and then take your tiles that you have premeasured and cut and start to peel the paper or whatever back and put on the tiles. Again be sure you are putting the tiles on straight because once they go on they are not easy to take down and off. Once on you use a rubber trowel or pad and press the tiles on to secure. Again, they will tell you to wait a certain amount of time before applying the grout. Once grouted, you do as in any tile and wipe it down with a damp sponge and clean again with a clean damp sponge and towel dry it to take the haze off and WALA you have a really nice tiled backsplash.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote