Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #1
Spenda864

M.O.C. #21646
Storage compartment door

I am having an issue with the storage compartment door on my 2011 High Country 313RE. The inside of the door is wood covered by some sort of what feels a little like vinyl or linoleum. The wood around the bottom of the inside is starting to break down some and the covering is coming up along this area. The exterior of the door looks ok from what I can tell. This is on the entry side so its the compartment I get in and out of the most for outside chairs, etc.

Is there a fix for this without having to replace the door itself? What is the most cost effective way of replacing the door and/or fixing the issue?

Spenda864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:20 PM   #2
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Suspecting the door is particle board under that linoleum-like stuff. There may be some water damage. In any case, I would just buy a new door. I replace one a few years ago, and as I recall, it wasn't too expensive.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:16 AM   #3
Spenda864

M.O.C. #21646
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambam View Post
Suspecting the door is particle board under that linoleum-like stuff. There may be some water damage. In any case, I would just buy a new door. I replace one a few years ago, and as I recall, it wasn't too expensive.
Thanks so much for your response. I will look into it. Were you able to order one and install it yourself or did you get it done at an RV repair shop. I can't imagine the install being difficult. If you ordered it do you recall who from?
Old 05-22-2018, 07:40 AM   #4
Spenda864

M.O.C. #21646
I found a website for Trekwood RV in Indiana. I called and talked to the lady in the parts department and they indicated they could take my VIN and measurements and have the door specifically for my unit color matched. I will likely go this route. It looks like its under $250 depending on the size of the door.
Old 05-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
you can order one through a dealer or trekwood rv may work too. you can't directly order through keystone, they do not sell retail.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenda864 View Post
Thanks so much for your response. I will look into it. Were you able to order one and install it yourself or did you get it done at an RV repair shop. I can't imagine the install being difficult. If you ordered it do you recall who from?
I ordered mine through my dealer. It was an easy install I did myself. Save your hardware because it doesn't come with any.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
B&W Companion
Old 05-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Chris-- Check around your area and see if there are any RV Salvage yards around. If there are either top in or give them a call and see if they might have a white replacement door that is the same size you are talking about. They just may have one.
I'll let you know that Keystone says they do not have any because I tried last year at the Fall Rally to get mine replaced. They said they could get one with black trim around it but nothing with white metal trim. Trekwood is the next possible step to be able to get one. I plan on talking to them when we are in Goshen, IN this year for the Fall Rally and see what they say.
If you should contact them would you post here what they have to say? I am going to try to check out several RV Salvage businesses in Michigan near Elkhart, IN at the same time and see what they have in stock also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 08:15 AM   #8
Spenda864

M.O.C. #21646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Chris-- Check around your area and see if there are any RV Salvage yards around. If there are either top in or give them a call and see if they might have a white replacement door that is the same size you are talking about. They just may have one.
I'll let you know that Keystone says they do not have any because I tried last year at the Fall Rally to get mine replaced. They said they could get one with black trim around it but nothing with white metal trim. Trekwood is the next possible step to be able to get one. I plan on talking to them when we are in Goshen, IN this year for the Fall Rally and see what they say.
If you should contact them would you post here what they have to say? I am going to try to check out several RV Salvage businesses in Michigan near Elkhart, IN at the same time and see what they have in stock also.
I'll keep you all posted on exactly how it goes. I plan on doing a little search to see if I can find one at a salvage yard. If not, I will price a new door at Trekwood and a local dealer or two. I definitely want it to match so I will likely have to order it.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:57 AM   #9
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
When you get the new door would you take a big hole saw and drill the old door? I would like to know what the core material is. I think it is some kind of foam as screws don't hold well.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #10
Spenda864

M.O.C. #21646
Quote:
Originally Posted by psomers View Post
When you get the new door would you take a big hole saw and drill the old door? I would like to know what the core material is. I think it is some kind of foam as screws don't hold well.
Will do. I can tell you that the inner lining is already loose at the bottom of the door and it isn't foam in mine. It's just basically wood. I will take it apart and take pics once I get a replacement door.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Kinda curious as well though I do have short arms but deep pockets, would probably repair what there
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:08 AM   #12
Spenda864

M.O.C. #21646
After speaking with several different RV repair places around the area, I have come to the conclusion it is best to buy a new door. All of them said they would order it for me and have it shipped in from Keystone. The price is somewhere between $200-250 for the size door I need (including shipping). To get the correct door, I just needed to provide the last 8 digits of the VIN and the size of the door to make sure it was color matched, etc.

I asked for advice on removing the old door and installing the new one and whether it was difficult or not. None of the parts people thought it was worth me paying them to install the door. The replacement comes with the door and the framing for the door. I was told to: 1. take out the existing door and frame; 2. clean the area where the old door was sealed to the camper; 3. put on some kind of adhesive/barrier tape ( I can't recall the name right now); 4. install the new frame and door; 5. clean off any of the tape that sticks out from the new frame; 6. run a bead of sealant around the frame. They all said it was an easy job.

I will probably order the door next week and install in a couple of weeks. I will keep those interested posted and will disassemble the old door so you call can see what's in there. I am not the most mechanically inclined person on the planet so wish me luck. The only way to learn is to try it and see.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #13
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Step #3....Butyl Tape more than likely. Can be bought at most hardware/home remodel stores in a small roll up to large rolls.

It is a very simple process as they had stated to you on the phone.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:25 AM   #14
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I think you'll find you're more than capable to handle this job. It's probably easier than the instructions you received appear to be, and they appear to be easy enough. Let us know how you make out. The MOC is here to help, if needed.

B&W Companion
Old 06-02-2018, 05:57 AM   #15
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
If the frame is in good shape and you want to really make it easy, just replace the door. Where the door hinges is a screw on either end. Remove the screw on either end, hinge the door open about 90 degrees and the door will just slide out of frame.
If replacing frame also the trick is to get the reveal even all the way around. Keystone doesn't do a great job at doing that.
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:55 PM   #16
Clutchvarg

M.O.C. #18622
Hi,
Just had delamination of the outer skin of the large compartment on my Montana. Tried to repair but the skin was glued too well in one corner. So, the exterior side is a material called filon this is glued to 3/8 plywood, then glued to styrofoam,then to the inner plastic panel. All adds up to 3/4 in. This is pop riveted to the outer trim. I called Bontragers surplus in White Pigeon Mi. They had one larger than what I needed
60"x 30" for $35 which I was able to cut down to size. I cut it using my table saw and a jig saw for the curved corners. Then drilled and pop riveted the frame back to the new piece. It was a 3 hour trip to white pigeon. I also went to Johnsons surplus 7 miles down the same road. They had many to choose from as well. Good luck
Clutchvarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #17
Spenda864

M.O.C. #21646
I ordered my new door today. It is about 32" x 43" and is the frame and the door itself. It was $168 plus shipping (estimated at $38 or so). They said I could install it or they would do it for $120 (basically an hour). I will decide whether to install it myself once the door comes in as I may have a time crunch before my text outing.