Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2004, 02:45 PM   #1
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Battery-Winter Storage

Lost the other topic on this, but need some help. We took home our battery and charged it fully. Everytime my battery would loose it's charge because I had simple things draining it like the flashlite, the propane detector (pulled the fuse, 4th one on the left) and the lite in the frig. So we hook up the fully charged battery and as soon as its hooked up I hear a steady toned beep. What the heck is this now??? Before I could of swore it was a beep that comes and goes. It was too cold to investigate so I disconnected the battery and left it in the Monty.

Any clues. My sister told me I also have a carbon dixode detector but couldn't find that in a glimpse. Somewhere in the bedroom I was told????

Thanks

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
Just make things easy on yourself this winter. I make sure the battery is fully charged and then once I get the coach into the storage unit for winter I unplug both battery post's and forget about it till spring. I have been doing this with my boat batteries for the past ten year and have yet to have any trouble. The key is to make sure the battery is fully charged so it wont freeze in the winter temps. Good luck, and just think before you know it, spring will be here and you will be pulling the coach back out again.. =) Enjoy the Holiday season.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 01:54 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Sue
Keeping the battery charged is good advise. The gas detector is always on so it will eventually drain your battery. There is water in the battery that can freeze if it is not charged. We pull our batteries (I have a dual battery hookup with a marine battery switch) and store them in the garage during the winter. That way i can monitor the water in them and throw the battery charger on them every 30 days. That way, when I am ready to go camping or head for Florida mid winter, I have fresh batteries to operate all of the electrical equipment in the RV.
Ken and Velda Taylor
Dahlgren Va
2003 3655FL Montana/Ford F350 Diesel
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 02:01 AM   #4
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Thanks for the replies. I was just curious what IMMEDIAEtLY would go off like that. I barely had them clamped on. I never heard that long tone beep before I pulled the battery to take it home to charge it.

My goal here is to have the RV ready to go as we leave early February for Florida. Didn't want to mess with this stuff in a blizzard (hopefully not). I will attempt to check it out when I can, off to a horse show in the morning so it will have to wait.

Thanks again.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote