Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 07-06-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Plugging Trailer Tires

Can we do it? Way back when, we used to plug tires all the time. But then, they didn't have 110psi in them either!
With an onboard compressor, pugging a hole seems like an easy, fast fix if it can be done.

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Personally, I would have it patched instead.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:12 AM   #3
nosticks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10378
You're kidding, right.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:01 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
There is a new breed of plug out there now that tire shops have access to. It is a combination plug and patch. It is unlike the plug of the past and the plug that may be referred to here in this post.
I would not plug my Monty tire with those plugs we used to use in some tires, like skid loader tires or utility type tires.
I have one of these new plugs that is a plug/patch combo. It has been good for two years. I don't think it is a do it yourself kit. Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:34 AM   #5
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Might still be the ticket to get you from a remote spot to where you can get help. Otherwise, doesn't seem to be a good longer term solution. Same/similar to using those tiny, lightweight spares used in cars today. Gets you out of trouble.. but you wouldn't use it in p;ace of the proper tire.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:53 AM   #6
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Just did mine, or rather the tire shop did. While up in Pa I discovered my one tire is flat. Took it to a tire shop and questioned them about either fixing it or replacing the tire, He told me the plugs they use now he would not hesitate to use on my trailer, Told me they plug tires that carry a lot more weight them our trailers. So he plugged it or patched it I don't know but it has held up fine did 70 mph on hot days for 1500 miles with no air loss. I'll check it again before our next outing and if no air loss I forget about it,,,,
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
You will find many tire outlets that will no longer plug tires.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:04 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
They also won't plug/patch if it's even close to the edge of the tread.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:21 AM   #9
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
We did a plug and patch after running over a mud flap with bolts sticking up on I5 North of Seattle. Couldn't miss it as it was in a narrow lane in a construction site. The damage was in the center of the tread, not sidwall.
I make no recommendations, only mention what we did. We had less than 100 miles on our new Monty at the time, mission tires too.
After Sears plugged AND patched both tires we travelled over 20,000 miles with these repairs with out any problem. These miles included a trip to GNP in Montana and a couple of trips to S California. Some hot weather miles too.
I make no recommendations only mention what we did.
So to answer the ops first question, it can be done, HOWEVER I never ran over 80 psi, so can't comment on the 110psi.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 04:41 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I guess I'll be the odd person out and advocate plugs ... the tire repair business evolving accepted practices reminds me once again of many things that once were common and now are in fear of some fashion of a law suite. Although I'd not plug a sidewall puncture, I'd plug (have for years) a tire on truck or trailer any day of the week. Installed right, you'd be hard pressed to blow a plug out of a nail hole. A plug also keeps dirt and water from being driven up into the hole and possibly under an inside patch. Now I'm not saying patches are no good, I'm just saying plugs also get the job done.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #11
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
So, opinions are ranging from "You're kidding right?" to others saying "Just did mine" and others saying basically no problem.
I better talk to a tire shop I guess. I'll see what they say.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would not advocate it, but I am not convinced there is a problem doing it.

As for the plug/patch. I picked up a 1/4" diameter rod about 8" long in a tire on my previous truck. Goodyear tire store used one of the plug/patches on it and it never leaked or had any other kind of problem for about 2 years and many many miles before I traded it.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
While I won't advocate one way or another, if backed into a corner, I would do it. I have used SafetySeal plugs for twenty years and never seen one fail. Given a choice, I would opt for the patch plug option. Goodyear has said it is ok for us to use them on law enforcement vehicle tires and maintain their speed rating. Our Tahoe's run "V" rated tires and I've not had a failure.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 08:47 AM   #14
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have to agree with the post to get you out of harms way and to the closest tire shop. if they are Marathon tires I would say no they are unpredictable and un reliable. I have LT tires and will get a inside patch installed if needed. as for a plug I don't know..... with the steel belts on tires could cause them to shear the plug from its location. If you don't have a spare call AA or Good Sam ERS.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I have also done it for years and never had one let go. Years ago I won't have done it but a friend with a tire shop said he would do it on his own. I carry a patch kit and a pump on board at all times.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #16
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Being in the tire business, sales and repair, I can tell you it is illegal for any tire shop to install a string type plug in any passenger, light truck, medium truck, heavy truck, or trailer tire. These types of plugs are intended as a temporary repair to get you to the nearest repair facility. The best repair is a patch/plug combination installed from the inside of the tire. The plug on this type of repair fills the hole and seals it from contaminates such as moisture and dirt, while the patch portion ensures a large enough area is covered on the inside of the tire to properly stop any leakage of air. The second best repair is a patch installed on the inside of the tire, which is what most tire shops do. That being said, I do occasionally use the string type plugs on my own vehicles to get me out of a jam, but I get a proper repair done as soon as I can. There are a couple of reasons these string type plugs aren't legal as a permanent repair. (1) They are held in place by a knot on the inside of the tire, created by a twisting motion, that can untwist and release the plug from the tire. (2) They may not make a complete seal, allowing air to slowly escape, creating excessive heat as the pressure decreases. If the tire is ran long enough with low pressure, the heat can build up enough to explode the tire.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #17
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Lonnie ... I'm glad you chimed in with your info. I respect your input and have followed some of your recommendations in the past with excellent results but .......... several tire repair shops within 100 miles of me plug em if you want em to. Granted I'm not talking about in a metropolis by any means. I've ran and am running plugs for the past 8 - 10 years without a single issue. The same results with a regular patch or two. I understand your position here ... just being me and couldn't keep it zipped.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote