Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2011, 03:32 AM   #41
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
Phil - Thanks for the clarity. After rereading your prior post, I see that your receiver wasn't working anyhow, so this would provide a good work-around rather than buying a replacement receiver - and then have the same happen again due to the lack of protection. I did wonder at the #10 wire being crimped to the #12 from the receiver. Luckily my wife doesn't play with the switches unless I ask her to, so maybe we won't run into that problem. I do wonder if I'll run into GTOWag's situation where eventually the positive from the receiver stopped working as well. At least I'll know what's wrong.

Steve

FLtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:44 AM   #42
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
If the receiver stops working, just disconnect power to it and turn it back on. I put a Audio Circuit breaker on the the receiver ground wire, so I could kill power quickly, but haven't had any more problem since I replaced the 50Amp Auto Reset breaker with a 100Amp manual reset breaker.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #43
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206

Fltravelers

I see you have covered most of the same states my wife and I have.

We are involved in a hobby that requires us to arrive on site at a time when it is to our advantage to get unloaded and setup in a reasonable time. We don’t operate any of the DC equipment without the TV or shore power hooked up. It is not uncommon for her to be doing her thing like putting rooms out and the sort while I am leveling the trailer etc. Now that I have at least this part of the DC electrics sorted out we find the electric motors on the landing gear and stabilizers sound better and don’t pop any fuses. I didn’t make any changes to the slide rooms except removing the receiver and insulating the control wires to it.

My receiver still has an open circuit on the “Manual Switch” ground lead after sitting for a week with no power to it. My landing gear jacks have now been operated several times in moving the trailer with out any power interruption. Before I did away with the receiver they popped the only 30-amp fuse in the system at least one time very time I used them.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:02 AM   #44
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
Phil,

We retired 15 months ago. All those states were last year - 20,000 miles. This year we're doing the East coast. Hope to keep it around 10,000 miles. More than half our rving is dry camping (we like National Parks, National Forests, State Parks, etc.), so we frequently don't have shore power when we're setting up. We haven't popped any fuses yet, except the Fantastic Fan, but that's another topic with a happy ending.

I like having that #10 ground wire go straight to chassis. That's a much better ground. Just not sure what it'll do to the receiver in the long run.

I'm very grateful for all the members of the MOC. The knowledge and work-arounds are invaluable, especially with the difficulty getting answers from the manufacturers.

Steve
FLtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:23 AM   #45
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206

I retired last April. But they have talked me in to coming back for a year to do training. They just can’t find anyone able to do the paperwork and that understands 3 phase 200 volt 400 cycle electric.

We did every thing west of the Mississippi accept Idaho Kansas and North Dakota this past summer also 20,000 miles. We did a lot of the center in 2009.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #46
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
I had the landing gear issue also. I took my 2007 3500RL to a RV repair shop here in Washington. He did a good job finding the problem. It turned out to be the rocker switch for raising and lowering the landing gear. Now here is what I found later. We were on the road and started having the same issue with the landing gear not wanting to work properly. The switch was sputtering and clicking and sparking. When I bought my new switch, HD 40a 12v and took the old one off. It was a 15 amp service rocker switch, not 40 amp or heavy duty. So just incase you take your unit in to have the switch replaced, make sure he puts the proper switch in. I am taking the switch back for him to see and hopefully give me an adjustment. He wasn't cheap.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:19 PM   #47
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wheelhouse

I had the landing gear issue also. I took my 2007 3500RL to a RV repair shop here in Washington. He did a good job finding the problem. It turned out to be the rocker switch for raising and lowering the landing gear. Now here is what I found later. We were on the road and started having the same issue with the landing gear not wanting to work properly. The switch was sputtering and clicking and sparking. When I bought my new switch, HD 40a 12v and took the old one off. It was a 15 amp service rocker switch, not 40 amp or heavy duty. So just incase you take your unit in to have the switch replaced, make sure he puts the proper switch in. I am taking the switch back for him to see and hopefully give me an adjustment. He wasn't cheap.
Sounds like a different problem, never had clicking, sparks etc. just stopped cold in the middle. Replacing the 50 Amp Auto Reset breaker with 80 Amp manual reset fixed my problems.

I have since replaced the jacks with BigFoot.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #48
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
John , I had the same problem . Rewired the connections at the switch inside the the outer control panel and all has been well since. Connections were loose. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:00 AM   #49
OrangeCrate
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9410
Here is a link to a 'Fix' for the problem (feet won't work using rocker switch) http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46515
OrangeCrate is offline   Reply With Quote