Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Was that You???
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
California 199 and I-5

Wow! If that was you on CA-199 today, as we both came around the curve I only had time to hit the air horn. Hope I didn't scare you.

The other one I flashed and you looked over at the big black box with the silver car behind it.

On I-5 I said hi to you.

Anyone want to claim up to it.

There sure are a lot of Montana's out there. It just proves how popular and good a brand they are.

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #2
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
We are now at Seven Feathers with the MOC group. What fun!!! We are thinking of taking 199 back home to California from Grants Pass to Cresent City. What do you think of that road??? We hear it's beautiful....but are a bit concerned about towing the Monty on that stretch. We've heard mixed reviews about it. Curious to hear your opinion. Thanks. Safe travels, Marilyn
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Marilyn,

We were in a 40Ft SOB (MH) pulling a car. We made it with no problems. It is winding and narrow, with some parts narrowing even more than the normal part of the road. There are several 7% grades. There are passing lanes for when you go slow to give the traffic time to go around. The advisory posted is that trucks with a 30Ft distance between king pin and axle are not advised to take the road. We met two box type 18 wheelers and one 18 wheel tanker. I thought the tanker was crazy since the sloshing adds to the problems on winding roads. The driver is not going to have any time to sight see. He's going to be concentrating on the lines in the road. It definitely is a few ours of excitement.

I could not in all fairness recommend or not recommended US-199. The skill level of the driver is going to be tested and is the determining factor. If your driver is comfortable with winding, blind curves, narrow, steep roads you will be okay.

The California DOT does not have an RV restriction on that road:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/paffairs/faq/faq90.htm

I would drive it again, but I don't think Earlene would let me.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Yamaha_Mama
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8057
Dear Wayne,

Thanks for the info. I think your last line is the best advice!!! I am with Earlene. I will pass the info onto Ken. I know he has the skill....but I am sure his nerves will be shot after all those miles of listening to me huff and puff and screech!!! Where are you headed now??? We are in Canyonville, OR with the MOC group. Thanks, M
Yamaha_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Marilyn,
We are presently at the Armitage State Park in Eugene, OR (Coburg,OR) and what a great park it is. It is 95 miles north of you. About half way is a Highway 38 out of Drain, OR, that goes over to 101. (What a name) You may want to check with the locals on the roads, or even the OR Hwy Patrol. I talked to one RV'er here in the park and they said they came from 101, but NOT on 199, so there is a road that may be more acceptable. Maybe someone from this area can jump in and advise you. The 101 is a fairly good road all the way to San Diego. That is the way we came up to Crescent City. If you do go down that way, Crescent City did not appeal to me as a place to spend a few days. We stayed in Klamath, CA, at Chinook RV Park for $12.50 a night, Passport America. Grassy pull thru's and if you do decide on it, see if you can get site #36. Wonderful view.

We are headed North from here. Next stop will probably be Olympia, WA, then Whidbey Island. From there we will start East until we get over Texas and then head home.
Old 06-03-2010, 06:13 PM   #6
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Yamaha Mama,
I think we have the same rig as you, a 3455SA, and did that drive last year to Crescent City. As Wayne said, it is a twisty, turnie road but it is doable. Take your time and use the turn outs (there are plenty of them) to let traffic pass. The entire drive is not twisty, maybe the last 1/3 to 1/4 of it. I had no problems with it, but my passengers were a bit frazzled by the time we were done. We stayed at the Hiouchi RV Park outside of Crescent City and it was okay. If we went back, we would stay here Redwood RV Resort. We found it while staying in the area and it is nice. More like a state park than a privately owned park, but nice. Hope this helps in your decision making.
Jack