Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2017, 09:35 AM   #1
ExPatNW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10319
Problem winterizing 3790RD

Wondering if I can pick some of your brains...

I have winterized our old Montana (with convenience center) for the last 6 years with no problem.

This year is the first time with our 3790RD. I have emptied the hot water heater, drained the tanks and low points.

Now I attached a short hose to the winterization entry hose point, and turn the hot water bypass to bypass and the fresh water tank bypass to winterize.

I put the hose into the tank of RV anti-freeze fluid and switch on the water pump. The pump seemed to have problems sucking in the antifreeze fluid. When my wife inside the rig open a faucet, she got a dribble of anti-freeze and a lot of air.

We could easily use 2-3 tanks of anti-freeze on our old rig (but it had 3 sinks, 2 toilets, shower etc). While this rig has less, it should easily have used a bottle or too of fluid right? We used next to nothing.

I will take the unit to Camping World tomorrow to fix, but I am concerned I am just doing something wrong and if I knew what it was I could save myself a trip...

Any ideas?

Thanks
Chris

ExPatNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
This has been a common problem getting the pump to pull the antifreeze. Someone recently posted about it, contacted Keystone, and they apparently agreed it was a problem and is having the dealer winterize it for free.

Make sure you have a very good seal at the hose connection. The least air leak will prevent the pump from pulling the antifreeze. Sometimes the rubber gaskets have little ridges on them and sanding them smooth will help. Sit your antifreeze bucket near the level of the hose connection to reduce height of lift. And try opening a low point drain first to see if you can get flow established before moving on to inside faucets.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
ExPatNW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10319
Thanks - this makes sense and is worth a try.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
topjustice
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19835
The other thing I discovered besides having a good connection is to NOT empty the water from the lines before starting the antifreeze pumping. It seems that the pump works better when it is pushing out the old water while sucking the antifreeze in. Just a thought.
topjustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #5
RichR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11369
doing mine I have to hold the antifreeze container up high above the intake- a pain but it works well that way.
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
ExPatNW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10319
Thanks all - sounds like I am not the only one to have problems. will try these ideas this morning.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Send a message via AIM to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via MSN to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via Yahoo to Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Turn the screen around backwards so the point of the screen pushes the valve in were you hook the pink stuff hose up to it. Had the same problem with mine 2016 3791rd my first time doing it and it did the same thing yours is doing so called the dealer and talk to a service guy, told me to do the screen /filter thing backwards and worked perfect. Dont forget to turn screen back around after being done or water will come out of the winterizing port when hooked back up to campground water again. Hope this helps.
Md.FireFighter 3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:33 AM   #8
ExPatNW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10319
I will try this for sure. I am convinced the problem is at the point the hose attaches in the convenience center as there is a lot of "air" type sound there when the pump is trying to pull in the fluid. Thanks - if this works as you say it will it will make a big difference.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
ExPatNW, Your not the only one having issues with this. There are a couple other threads already on the subject. We had the EXACT same issue on our brand new 381TH. There has been some discussion that Keystone may actually be about to recall the check valve on the "winterize" connection as it doesn't work well. I think some of the suggestions about turning the screens around on that connection are working toward holding that valve open? This is on our list for the dealer when we take our rig in for its first inspection.

The other three suggestions are:
1. Leave water in pump so it is primed.
2. Make sure connections are tight so you don't suck air into pump and air lock it.
3. Keep the anti freeze above the pump level so that gravity will help feed the pump. One person even suggested using a 5 gallon bucket with a connection on the bottom of it sitting on a tall ladder. That might be overkill but it should work for sure!
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:09 PM   #10
Jeff_filipiak

M.O.C. #20876
Winterizing our 3731fl

Thank you to everyone who provided solutions for Keystones work around. My pump was not pulling from the anti freeze bottle as well. I added a screen to the connection and it depressed the valve just enough to pull. Buy a screen that's deep enough to depress the valve and it should work. It did for me.
Jeff_filipiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
You know I wonder if removing the factory valve and just installing a shut off valve on the outside would work?
Old 11-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #12
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Instead of draining everything prior to adding antifreeze to the system, just drain the water heater, switch the valves into the correct positions, and then with water in the lines, start the siphoning process and you will not be sucking air, but will have water at the pump to actually be pumping antifreeze through the system.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 01:35 PM   #13
Jeff_filipiak

M.O.C. #20876
Honestly I believe the problem is with the spring valve. The pump was barely pulling but once I pressed the valve in with the screen filter it worked perfectly.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #14
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I thought the water pumps were self priming? If that is the case then it has to be an issue with loose or blocked connection right?
Old 11-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #15
Jeff_filipiak

M.O.C. #20876
Honestly I'm not an expert. I just read the threads and posted what I experienced. I suggest following all the suggestions starting with the easiest then going from there. Hope this helps
Old 11-26-2017, 02:34 PM   #16
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Sorry Jeff, was not referring to your comment but others. I work in the oilfield which makes me an expert on everything LOL just kidding....
Old 11-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #17
Jeff_filipiak

M.O.C. #20876
No worries. Never took it to heart. Trying trying to learn and share when able
Old 12-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #18
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
After emptying all of the low point drains, WH and getting the bypass turned, our 3790 would not siphon up the antifreeze at first, then realizing that the pump and lines only had air in them, I reached down and opened one of the low point drains again and it shot out a bit of water with pressure. The pump then primed and the process was started. We just winterized it Monday before leaving the park and this was no different. Opened up the low point drain for a about 3-4 seconds and the pump primed. Not sure if it will help anyone, but it just might.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:56 PM   #19
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Put some thread tape on the hose. Any air getting in will cause this problem.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:58 PM   #20
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
The fresh water or winterizing hoses don't seal on the threads ... they seal on the rubber hose washer. Another alternative to offer up is double washer the female connection where the winterizing hose connects ... I had to do that on my 3150 years ago to get the pump to suck antifreeze out of the jug. Off topic, but I just blow mine out now and add pink stuff to the P-traps.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote