Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #41
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I'm sorry, but saying any OEM truck can spin the wheels while pulling a heavy fifth wheel is bovine scatology, and anybody that believes that has been partaking of the evil beverage.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #42
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
I'm sorry, but saying any OEM truck can spin the wheels while pulling a heavy fifth wheel is bovine scatology, and anybody that believes that has been partaking of the evil beverage.
I used to pull 105,000 lbs of wood chips in a 53’ 4 axle 5th wheel.Phil is correct. A truck can certainly spin out while towing given the right(or wrong) circumstances. It’s merely physics. You will either spin-out, kill the engine, break the drivetrain, or move the load.
I have done all the above.

Mark
MARK A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 05:28 PM   #43
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I will assure you my truck will spin the tires when going 35 MPH. It’s is far from stock with 600 fly wheel HP. The transmission is far from stock. When it shifts it locks up much faster and harder than stock. A stock diesel truck is tuned to pull a heavy load and go to the grocery store. Mine is tuned to pull a heavy load.
I have no way of knowing what type of tires were on Phil’s truck, how hard they are or what type of pavement he was on how slick it was, how much tar had seeped to the surface. What the temperature was that day, a hot day would make the pavement and the tires slicker. Although I’ve never been to Florida I understand it can get pretty hot down there.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:06 PM   #44
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Cold asphalt pulling 14,500# 5er up very steep, very wet hillside. Back wheels spun, thankfully front wheels held as doubt brakes would have. CG exit in the Smokies...
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:10 AM   #45
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi T Lightning, Mark A, mlh, and CaptnJohn

The material in the stop lines at an intersection that experiences heavy traffic is of a very thick and very slick material. They have problems with pedestrians slipping on it. Our 4 cylinder Malibu will slip the wheels as you cross them from a stop light not a lot but just enough that you can feel it.

The salesman was using this slick surface to get the wheel spin started then the truck has enough power to keep the spin going when it gets to good asphalt that normally give you good traction. This demonstration is quite impressive.

On the Interstates they use the same or similar type of material and the only explanation I have for the wheel slips I have experienced is that I may have had one set of wheel on that line.

Both wheel slipping incidents were with the Firestone TransForce tire that had about 40,000 miles on them. I change tires just as the wear bar begins to show. I get rite at 60,000 miles out of a set of tires. I operate the truck with the tire pressures at the door post pressures.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #46
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Yep, here in Lake Havasy City Az they use the same rubber type material at the intersections were there are signals. The drive tires will spin on it and in the summer when its 110 plus degrees the asphalt is soft so the spinning will continue for a good distance. We have learned to let off the power a little bit once the rig is moving to stop the spinning. Then you can get back into it to get up to speed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:01 AM   #47
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
I stand by my post...it says "OEM" not tricked out, and certainly not driving on slick roads, a Prius would spin out under those conditions.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:31 AM   #48
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
I stand by my post...it says "OEM" not tricked out, and certainly not driving on slick roads, a Prius would spin out under those conditions.

Sorry to burst your bubble I have spun the tires on an OEM Stock 6X6 all wheel drive vehicle on dry asphalt pavement trying to get a heavy load moving.

I have spun the drive wheels on a fully loaded class A tractor with the drive wheels on dry pavement. The tractor and trailer combination were at a loading dock that uses an incline to get the trailer level with the platform and the power divider is set for highway use.

Now this OEM Stock Duramax 3500 with duel wheels will spin the rear tires on dry pavement under the following conditions. It is unloaded you are making a tight “U” turn and the rear end limited slip has locked where one set of wheel has started slipping because of the difference in the turn radius between the inner and outer wheels and then you accelerate to get out of the middle of thee road.

Never say never!!!

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:32 PM   #49
hrlyrdr
Established Member

M.O.C. #20110
OK, now back to the delete topic. I am looking for a 3500hd duramax 4x4. A guy has a nice 1 owner LTZ 2012 65000k. I go look and like the truck except.. it has a tuner and full exhaust replacement. He tells me all I have to do is hook the plugs back up and all is well.. NOT so, the after market exhaust has no dpf as you all know. Other wise why change it...I was at a dealer tonight looking at a new truck. I asked the sales manager about trading a deleted truck. He said, HE would not take one on trade. He said he traded for one that they took to service and it had 32 codes come up on the scanner. I hate having def issues. had my share on my 2011.. but I sure don't want to lose my butt on my next trade either.... so still looking.
hrlyrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #50
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
I have 60K miles on my non delete DEF Cummins RAM and I have no complaints at all.
Pulls hard when needed (13% grade for over 10 miles pulling my 12K# Montana)
IMHO
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote