Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #1
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
Black tank

How do I clean out the black tank. I do not think the previous owner kept the valve closed to keep the "juice" in there to help break it down before draining it.

ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
There are many options.
1. If you can get a spray nozzle down the commode hole the let it spray around and break stuff loose.
2. Another option is to fill the tank partially full (hard call what is partially for your situation) and put in Ice Cubes. Again with your situation larger ones are a little better for the breaking action. Then drive around and let them slouch around and knock stuff loose.
I would put some Calgon water softener in there once you get started.

I am sure others will be along with better ideas.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
If you have time to let it sit get a box of Ridx for septic tanks at Walmart and fill tank add ridx and let it simmer for a couple of weeks. Problem is it's kinda hard to find the time to let it sit long enough for it to work it's magic. Other wise it's the get one of those nozzles on a stick that was mentioned and start blasting away, but you got to have lots of water and a way to let it flow out. Are you sure there is stuff in there and not just looking at the gauge inside. Do not believe the gauge it is wrong, even if your rig is brand new it is probably wrong.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
I would fill it up about half way the first time, load it up with ice, a cup of Calgon, and a cup of laundry detergent. Drive around, Drain, rinse and repeat. Each time I am heading home, after flushing as much as I can, I put in a couple of gallons of water along with the Calgon and detergent and leave it that way until next trip. It might not be clean, but it doesn't smell.

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:51 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
If it is draining normally, you may not have a problem. Every so often, I will dump the black tank, run a hose inside and fill the tank through the toilet until full, and then dump again, for a complete flush.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
we bought a water meter that fits a garden hose..works great when filling the black tank to let it sit for a week or two before we head out again..we fill it with about 30 gallons after each trip and let it sit til the next trip....keeps the tank pretty clean...surprised how much still was in there when we did this process the first couple of times..but now runs pretty clean...worth the 24 dollar investment in my opinion...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I find an rv toilet is like an old outhouse, what drops to the bottom stays at the point it drops to. Make sure you use a lot of water when you flush the toilet. When I flush the black tank and use the torpedo I will take at least 4 pails of water and dump them down the open toilet as fast as I can. This seem to break up the pile at the bottom of the toilet pipe and send the mess on its way. The more time you spend on the toilet the better it works. When I am done cleaning I put in some mean green from the dollar store in a pail of water and drop it down the toilet and drive home or to my next park. This also helps break down waste and keeps the holding tank wet and smelling good.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
While at the Good Sam The Rally one of the seminars told us they put about two cups of 20 Mule Team Borax down the stool after dumping and fill the tank about 1/2 full of water before heading out to their next destination for their next seminars. The Borax breaks anything up that may be on the side walls, sensors and in the bottom of the tank while they are cruising down the road. They then dump that when they get to their next campground or a dumpstation. They then use Tang in the tank instead of any chemical cleaner/deorderizer and have had no problems since they started doing this and that has been 7 years ago. I personally use Happy Camper in all the tanks. Have for the last four years now and have had no problems. No I don't get paid by Happy Camper for saying this!
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote