Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Dealers....why do they lie?????

So since we are getting ready to leave for Pa. next week figured just maybe I should get the bearings and brakes checked. Yes the dealer said they repacked the bearings and the brakes are fine but he said a lot of things..... So just got it back from the trailer sales I took it too. He said the bearings were fine but don't look like they ever greased it since new???? Ok so my dealer is going to hell for lying... Oh well...they repacked and put in new seals and adjusted my brakes for $125. For that much it don't pay me to lay out there in the dirt on a 100 deg day. Glad I had second thoughts and had them check it. Time to load up.

steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
There are a FEW here on the MOC that swear by their dealers service department ... the other 90% of us repeatedly experience what you just described. It's sad and disturbing, but like I've eluded to several times in many posts ... although there's a big sign listing $100/hr shop labor in most dealerships ... you're going to get about $15 - $18 worth of expertise from the guy actually doing the work because that's what his pay is. If you have the ability ... you're better off doing your own service.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:44 AM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Dave, if you got your bearings repacked and the seals replaced for $125, you got a great deal! That's a lot of work and when they do it, if you have a problrm in the near future, they will be responsible.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
RV Dealerships in general have earned a bad reputation for themselves both in sales and repairs. I dont know how many times I have argued with techs who did not understand their job and salesmen who did not understand their product. I do my own work. I also do as much maintenance as I can on my vehicles as well. Cannot even trust the local ford dealer to put the correct oil in the truck. I have found that there is almost always somebody in any park who knows the solution to a problem and is willing to help. In our winter park in Florida, where we are a pretty tight group, we guys while drinking beer help each other and have replaced refrigeraters, air conditioners, awnings, sidewall repairs, replaced hot water heaters and windows, and two years ago did a complete rubber roof replacement. Most of it is fairly simple except maybe for the electronics, and generally requires no special tools. We even managed to pull out a slide, set it on drums, and install the teflon slider that some keystone employee forget to install during the build. I agree totally with dieselguy, and do everything I can myself.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When you've got a guy working in the service bay and no one supervising his work you have a recipe for disaster. Boss wanted the new rig ready to deliver and the tech still had to do your bearings. Started to look at your bearings and saw they were decent and then was put on the new rig job. New rig had some problems and now the boss wants to know why both aren't done. Guess what some folks are going to tell the boss.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:39 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I find it is always better to tell a customer the truth. In my shop there are no exceptions to this rule. You call me and you will get the truth. Tell people the truth and you have a customer for life. The next time they need something the will call you first. Simple!
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #7
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I've found a small Service Center (that's all they do is service, repairs, and upgrades no Sales). Last year for the NYS inspection, I used the Level-Up to get the wheels off the ground and watched while they cleaned and repacked the bearing. So I knew the job was actually done. Their prices are fair and I trust them, more than I can say for CW Service.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:47 AM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
I usually do my own work,(if the back allows it now) and have everything I need to be able to do most repairs. But down here we have lots of trailer sales places that sell big horse and stock trailers etc. Lots of them actually build trailers on site so they know what they are doing. So anything with the running gear I take it in to Bragg Trailers here and they are very reasonable. Like I said $125 out the door for repacking, new seals and brake adjust and they also did a complete safty inspection on all the wiring and lights. They are set up to do it quick and easy compared to me laying in the dirt in my back yard. Plus it has been 100 degrees which may have something to do with it too lol lol. Dealers just frustrate me when they tell you they did something and it didn't happen. I mean if they do not check the running gear then just tell me and I will have it done. But don't tell me you repacked the bearings and checked everything out and you didn't even pull a wheel off. That could have gotten ugly on the trip we are taking off on if I trusted the dealer. They have done that with everything including the repairs we requested done when we bought the rig. The TV antenna was broke so they were to replace it. Repair guy was on the roof messin with it for bout and hour, comes down and says fixed, never tried to run it up??? That nite tried to run it up in the air and nothing. Actually had to argue with the sales guy that it still didn't work. He just kept saying "yes it does work cause Juan fixed it and he tried it out". No, Juan did not try it out cause I was standing right there. Finally got it fixed. Definitly not a way to do business. I mean the stuff I wanted done was small in comparison to some things involved with RV's. It's just frustrating, but I think I now have a handle on it. Just have to get the ceiling panel back up in the corner above the cabinets that he said they fixed. They just put a 2x4 on top of the cabinet to hold it up??? I understand it's hard to get at to fix but at least anchor the 2x4 and paint it if that's all you can do.. I know I should take it back and have them do it right but just got tired of dealing with them, I'll do it myself. Sorry just venting now....
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Had to laugh yesterday. Stopped into check on our Montana's slide. The dealership we love was open Saturday. The technician was working on our Montana, he ask me if "anyone had checked our slide alighment before our recent problem". I replied " You did"! He lost all color from his face! So I then asked " You said you checked them and nothing was wrong"! After long silence, I said well "either you forgot to check it, or you never did, which one was it"? He said I will check my notes. Hey in all fairness they see many RVs everyday, and this guy has been really good to us and very helpful. I would like to think, he forgot he checked, but we will never know!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:41 AM   #10
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Although I have the capabilities to do a lot of my own work we live in campgrounds. Which in most cases do not allow a lot of repairs while in thier park. Have run into this a lot. So you have to depend on dealers to do the work and do it right. These are very hard to find while on the road and not know anyone. but usually campers know of someone. Its always a crap shoot!!

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

I find it is always better to tell a customer the truth. In my shop there are no exceptions to this rule. You call me and you will get the truth. Tell people the truth and you have a customer for life. The next time they need something the will call you first. Simple!
Lynwood
Could not agree more, Lynwood!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:12 AM   #12
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We fulltimed for almost seven years all over the states, and never saw a situation where a campground would not allow repairs on a rig, as long as done as quickly as possible. Much of the time, no washing of vehicles or rigs. Guess we hit the right places.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote