Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
slides creeping out again

I have reported on this several times in the past because it has been going on for almost a year. After I got my level up system on my Montana my slides started creeping out. My coach has been to Lippert at least six times in the last year, but problem persists. I finally told the folks at Lippert they need to purchase my coach since they can't seem to fix it. I will keep you posted on how this plays out. I imagine I am in for a long fight and lawyer expenses to get this resolved.
Don

Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
To update the issue on the creeping slides, apparently Lippert isn't going to respond to my request to resolve this issue by replacing or purchasing my coach. I was on the road about 2.5-3 hours today and all four slides were starting to open any where from 1 inch to 3 inches. I am reporting this so you can be aware if a big problem surfaces because of Lippert equipment , you may be out of luck for any assistance from them. We will be contacting our attorney general, BBB and RV Action Line not to mention our own attorney to try to resolve this issue.
I will post any results here FYI.
Don
Old 07-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sorry this is happening, please keep us informed.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,
You were serious? I can't imagine Lippert or any other company to replace an entire RV unit simply because of your problem with the slides. Personally I think your expectations are set just a little too high! Fix the problem? You bet! But actually replace? No!

There has to be a fix for the "creeping slides" problem. Considering how Lippert has responded to folks in the past I find it curious that they "can't" or "won't" fix your problem. But please keep us informed as to how this all plays out. And the best of luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
ugh
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12545
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Don,
You were serious? I can't imagine Lippert or any other company to replace an entire RV unit simply because of your problem with the slides. Personally I think your expectations are set just a little too high! Fix the problem? You bet! But actually replace? No!

There has to be a fix for the "creeping slides" problem. Considering how Lippert has responded to folks in the past I find it curious that they "can't" or "won't" fix your problem. But please keep us informed as to how this all plays out. And the best of luck. Dennis
I agree. You may had went too far and offended them. Now, they don't want to deal with you to avoid the hassle of lawsuit. However, you should at least get it fix and start filing complaints. This is very dangererous. I wonder if your unit have a short or a leak in the hydraulic system.
ugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Do you have a single hydraulic system or do you have a separate one for Level Up?
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sounds like a installation error and a mystery as to why they can not find the error and repair it
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Could be you have some air in the system. Air could make it act like there is a accumulator in the system which will make that side spongy if you know what I mean. If you have some air on the outboard side of the cylinder and you close the sides as I do there is a still pressure on the ram side of the cylinder when you let go of the switch. Say as an example you have 20 psi on the outboard side of the cylinder with some air and 0 PSI on the other end without any air, then even a 30-40 deg rise in outside temperature could expand the oil enough to over come the closing pressure since it has a air cushion. This could cause the ram to creep out.
This situation would compound if the solenoid was leaking by at the manifold. Have you tried closing the valves at the manifold before you head out? By the way this is just my 2 cents worth of advice and wish you luck.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
To address a couple of the comments, it is a single system that controls everything. At least on three of the trips to Lippert the system has been purged as well as other tries to repair the problem. As far as my request of having them replace my coach, that is drastic, but after the number of trips to Lippert to get this fixed and the fact that it has been going on for a year, where do you draw the line? I guess I could continue to take the coach there for the next year five or six more times, but since they haven't been able to find and fix the problem after all this time, I am not very hopeful. I usually take the coach to them and leave it then make another trip back to get it when they say it is fixed only to take it back again a short time later. That is about 4 hours of driving for both trips. Put your self in my shoes and tell me when YOU would take drastic action to get this fixed. How many times would you attempt to have the same issue repaired? The only reason there haven't been more trips there is we are in Texas for the winter and the slides are out while we are living in it.
Please share your thoughts, because I am at the end of my rope on this problem.
Don
Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I would take action but asking for a replacement Rv is a long shot. Rv action lines seem to get results..Good Sams, etc.I would go that route first.legal action would be a last resort as by the time anything happened you would be to old to RV.

Have you asked Lippert what they suggest you do as you can't take it back and forth forever???

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I'm no attorney, but, I have heard say, that if the word(s) "legal case", or "lawsuit" or "attorney", come up in any discussions with manufacturers, that they pretty much stop chatting with you. I would hazard a wild stabbing guess that they don't want to have any more fodder in the bucket for your side (attorney).

Just a 2 cents observation that is NOT worth 2 cents.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
Have you asked them to replace the hydraulic unit as it is the part of the system that could be acting up? I would think it would be cheaper for them to do that then trying to piece meal the repairs.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It could be something as simple as O-rings too.

I am very disappointed to hear that this has been going on for so long without resolution, but I'm willing to bet making this a legal issue was a recent attempt to get attention by the OP since the current "band-aid solutions and get you out of their shop" mentality didn't solve anything.

This is dangerous and obviously the techs working on this are NOT finding the root cause which is why this is still occurring. What else should one do? If they can't fix it after repeated attempts, the lemon law was developed JUST FOR THIS REASON. Putting a customer in harm's way is just not acceptable in our society and this is the OP's only legal recourse when the vendor is NOT effective.

We all know there is probably a reasonable explanation why this is occurring since there are so many success stories with this same equipment. The OP deserves action that gets him the same thing. When it fails at least he didn't take the law into his own hands.

Good luck to you and I say any business that doesn't understand the law or what they are doing to their customer should expect this to occur - It's why the law is there! If you don't like hearing a customer say this after repeated attempts, then FIX it and send your best to do so!!! That should eliminate any legal recourse. I think the OP has been plenty patient!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote