Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
3750FL transfer switch location

Hello,

I ordered a Progressive 50 amp EMS hardwire version to install. Trailer will be here in a couple weeks so I don't have anything to look at. Just wondering from other 3750FL owners where the transfer switch is located on our units and if I am going to have much room to work with for the installation.

Thanks!

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:34 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
seahunter,

When I did the installation of the same EMS, I was pleased to discover that with a little moving around of factory installed parts I was able to install it directly beside the transfer switch. My transfer switch is located behind the first left side basement panel on the street side (side with the main doors), of the rig. This is the panel with the basement receptacles, cable hookup, etc. Here is a link to the post with some photos of how I did the installation. If you have the remote readout, this location allows for it to be placed out of site but very handily placed in the front coat closet.

3750FL EMS Installation thread

Hope this helps, if you have any particular questions, ask away the MOC is here to help.

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Thanks so much Bingo. Just what I was looking for (I swear I did a search and your linked thread does not come up!!) Do have the remote display so that will work out great as you said. Looks like there's the room to put the unit, just don't think I can cram my bod in the tiny basement to do the install!

Appreciate the help.

Greg

Old 12-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Greg,
I never had to get in the basement at all. Everything was done standing on the ground and reaching in through the door. When you get your rig, it will become more apparent.
Bingo
Old 12-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #5
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Greg,
I never had to get in the basement at all. Everything was done standing on the ground and reaching in through the door. When you get your rig, it will become more apparent.
Bingo
Okay, that sounds much better. I know you put your EMS after the switch, but I was thinking of doing it before the switch. Based on my next question it will be apparent I should not be doing my own wiring, but..... in your photos, the right side of the switch which has the generator (orange) coming in, and a black coming in - this would be the side I want to tap into the black, correct (the shore power side?) and the left side of the switch (the single black cord) is the "out" to the house correct? I guess I have to learn some time?? And CW wants $270 to do this install, so as long as I don't burn down the trailer, I'll be ahead...
Old 12-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
You are correct. The black shore line can be easily traced back to the breaker box since it runs behind the basement walls, the generator feed runs over the basement on our installation as can be seen in the first picture. The reason I put the EMS after the transfer switch is simply so I could monitor the line voltage on each leg while using the generator. I have no doubt that if you believe you can do it and save the $270, then you can. There are quite a few of us here on the forum that will assist in any way we can, not only me, but others as well (Jim Fischer and John Kohl come to mind right off the bat). They have helped me immensely over the last few years!
Bingo
On edit: Whoops, should have read your signature, you have the same generator as I do, so deleted the comments about not having one.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

There are quite a few of us here on the forum that will assist in any way we can, not only me, but others as well (Jim Fischer and John Kohl come to mind right off the bat). They have helped me immensely over the last few years!
Bingo
On edit: Whoops, should have read your signature, you have the same generator as I do, so deleted the comments about not having one.
Thanks much Bingo. I have really appreciated all the help and suggestions from members already such as yourself. What I really like on this forum is no one ever makes you feel like you're asking a dumb question either - I think folks on here remember what it was like to start out and not know as much as they do now. Hopefully when I get the trailer this will look more "do-able", but I might just have some more quetions.... sounds like the hardest part will be getting my big old mits in to do the wiring.

Thanks again,

Greg