Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2011, 04:56 AM   #1
Larry-P
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11570
BATTERY REMOVAL FOR WINTER

We have our Monty at a site about 90 miles away for the winter. I am going there to winterize it this weekend.
My question is do I switch the battery dis-connect on (or off, whatever) & then remove the battery or leave the battery in the unit for the winter. Or should I just dis-connect the ground.
I don't want to put a trickle charger on it. I'm not crazy about removing the battery but if that's the thing to do then I will.
Any help is appreciated.

Larry-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:10 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I believe if you get freezing weather, then you should remove the battery. In addition, place a charger on the battery once a month or so to keep the charge.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My feeling is if the Monty is going to be in freezing weather for Dec- Mar (like PA) time I would remove it and store it.

I am under the impression a battery under full charge when stored in freezing conditions should survive as long as it does not loose its charge. With that thought, removing the ground so there is no drain should be fine. (Shutting off the switch is not required if you are pulling the ground wire.) What charge remains on the battery in the spring is still questionable.

I like a fully charged battery in the spring when I de-winterize; so back to pulling it for the winter and hitting it with a trickle charger monthly or charging it up before putting back in Monty is my recommendation.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:41 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Either way will work. It is preferable to remove it from the rig, but I have never done it this way. If the batteries are fully charged, they will not degrade much over the winter provided there is no drain. Most of our rigs with remote controls have a drain even when the battery disconnect is engaged. Before I put my own battery isolator switch in (to switch between two 12v batteries), I would disconnect the battery in the compartment for the winter. Now I can just switch the batteries off. I do have a primary reason for leaving the batteries in being that the second battery I installed (Optima) weighs about 55 pounds and is a bear to get in and out of the battery compartment.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
We live in Michigan. I always disconnect my batteries in the 2 cars before I leave for the winter to RV in the South or West. I put a charger on them to make sure they are fully charged just before we leave.

Last year we left in Nov and didnt return till July. I put a charger on them when I returned and was good to go.

A fully charged battery will not freeze.

Batteries will discharge faster in hot weather than in cold.

This has worked for me for many years.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 08:45 AM   #6
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
I always leave a battery tender attached to all my batteries in the winter months. I have replaced a lot fewer batteries than I used to when not using the tenders.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I have a battery disconnect installed on the ground side of the battery. That is all I do. I just turn it off when I place the trailer in storage. I always have a full charge on the battery when I put the trailer in storage and I have never had any issues when I go back in the spring to move the trailer.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I've always removed my battery for winter storage! I take it to the basement and put a trickle charger on it and have had no problems with it in the spring! We'll see what happens this year since we hope to head South after Christmas and I've got the Monte in winter mode now with the battery removed!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Hmm, I leave my battery in the camper and leave the camper plugged in. I do check the water in the battery before it gets too cold outside, and check it again in the spring time.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I always remove the battery on the Battery Tender now in the garage
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #11
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
I've always left the batteris in for the winter. Just disconnect the ground. Never had any problem. I do the same with my boats.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:12 PM   #12
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Do they romove them in the Dealerships?
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:22 PM   #13
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PowellsMonty

Do they romove them in the Dealerships?
If you're referring to new rigs, like toys they don't come with batteries . Don't know what they do with trades/used units.
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote