Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #1
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Has anyone had warrenty/extended warrenty issues?

Well after 2 years its time to bring in my monty for warrenty work. I have what i think is the black tank leaking when either flushing or when its partially full from underneath the belly (not the basement) The water/waste comes out from the top of the black plastic that is under neath the trailer. My question is have any of you had any issues when it comes to using your extented warrenty? I have the star rv platinum plus coverage that covers my "waste system" as stated on the brochure. I'm going to the rv show in hershey park, pa so i'm going to have to drop it off for service after that. Hopefully no damage will occur. So, anyone have them fight you on your claim? Any info will help. Thanks!

dmaxmountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #2
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
no experience with your plan, but our extended warranty plan requires pre-approval for any repairs. They are very clear in my paperwork that the repair facility needs to diagnose the problem and then contact them before any repairs for approval. Check the wording in your contract as most are this way and make it very clear to the repair facility what the procedure is and what is expected of them. We have used our plan several times and have never had any issues as long as their procedures were followed.

The majority of the problems I have read about or heard about seem to be trying to get a repair paid for after the fact.

Phil
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:26 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We had Star RV Platinum on our previous 3400 and never had a problem using it. We did however always use it at the local dealer where we bought the plan. As Phil states, make sure you are aware of who is responsible for making the claims, you or the dealer. I do remember that our dealer took care of everything.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the RV shield policy and have used it 4 times with no issue. You must completly comply with the terms of the contract and that means pre approval. If you do it right you should have no problems.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:17 AM   #5
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Ditto to posts above, call for pre-approval. I am in the process at the moment, front jacks failed. I wanted to pickup the parts at the dealer and have a local mobile mechanic install. Easy Care (warranty co) had me call in the part description, part number and cost before I drove to pick them up. They authorized the repair before I drove to the dealer. When the installer comes today, they advised to have him call prior to starting the work.

Sounds to me like calling ahead is the key!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ditto what's been said about getting pre-approval. We've had no problems with our extended warranties and we now have Good Sam's Continuing Service Plan (CSP) which has been used three times and no problems.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Now, when you guys say pre-approved do you mean it when i get the work done by someone else and just send them the bill? I plan on dropping it off at the rv dealership that i bought it from and having them deal with it like the poster above stated.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Yes, either dealer or someone else, pre approval was required in my experience.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:54 AM   #9
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Thanks! Just as soon as i get back from the rv show in hershey, i'll have to drop it off.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dmaxmountaineer

Now, when you guys say pre-approved do you mean it when i get the work done by someone else and just send them the bill? I plan on dropping it off at the rv dealership that i bought it from and having them deal with it like the poster above stated.
Pre-approved by the warranty company. Must be pre-approved by them before the service techs start the repair. Sometimes the repair people have to do some tear down in order to see what must be done before they call for pre-approval, but that's okay.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:49 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
VERY IMPORTANT... You do not call the warranty company for pre approval.. The dealer or repair facility MUST call for the pre approval.VERY IMPORTANT...The pre approval MAY require a inspection by a Estimator selected by the warranty company. IF SO no repair can start till that estimator gives the approval. Make sure you understand what is going on. A mistake or miss understanding by the repair facility may deny the claim. get on the phone with the warranty company and make sure the repair is properly authorized. Do not leave it to others.

We witnessed the above occur.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:06 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I had my black tank replaced under our extended warranty and had the dealer call for pre-approval, THEN, call me back with the approval number BEFORE they started work. Just wanted to be sure they called and got the approval before they started. I was not familiar with this dealer so I wanted to be sure that procedures were followed and not have the dealer say the warranty co wouldn't pay for the repair after it was done......OVERKILL? Maybe, but it got done correctly!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:35 PM   #13
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Thanks so much guys! I'll give an update when i drop it off next week!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #14
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
A little update on this thread. I got a call from the rv place telling me that i have a hairline crack in my black tank. He said it would be about a 1/2 hour labor plus like 20 bucks to patch it. Thats fine. Being that i paid for the extended warrenty i want it replaced. It will cost me about 100.00 more (100 deductable) but i know i will have a new tank and wont have to worry down the line of it re-cracking. The dealer tells me that he doesnt think that the warrenty company will warrenty it. The tech said it looks like something may have hit it, but my underbelly looks brand new and he agrees. No holes in it, nothing suggesting that it has been penitrated. What would you guys do? i paid a lot for this extended warrenty and i didnt expect to have to deal with this bull. I'm waiting for the phone call back from the dealer to tell me if it will be covered. What do you guys suggest i do?
Old 09-23-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I think you may be at the mercy of the warranty company. Here's my reasoning: IF the technician calls them and says "It is only a hairline crack", they may just authorize a repair. If he was to say there was an irrepairable crack, then they will probably replace it. When mine was replaced, the tech told me it could not be repaired and this is what they told the warranty company, hence, the new tank. Some folks have had good luck with epoxy repairs on a crack line. I think I would ask the repair company how long they will warrant the repair. Hope this helps somewhat.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #16
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Thanks, yea i was also thinking that. He told me it was 300 +- for the tank plus 7 or 9 hours of labor for a new tank vs a 100 repair. I'm waiting for a call back.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #17
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If it is the dealer where you purchased the extended warranty from, I would have a heart-to-heart face-to-face with the service manager. The dealer gets paid regardless, it is how they present the information. On a less than two year old rig, you may have to steer the dealer's service manager in the right direction. Do not listen to the tech regardless, talk to the service manager or even pursue it farther up the dealership management chain, to the top if necessary. As always, my opinion!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Another update. I called to see what was going on with the warrenty issue and he told me that they found more cracks etc and the whole tank needs to be replaced. Its funny how on friday he told me it can be patched up, to today where he told me that there are more cracks. Did they look again and just not see the cracks? He told me he got a price on the black tank and will call it in the warrenty company today to see if they will warentee it.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:37 PM   #19
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
My rear galley gray tank went last summer and the extended warranty covered most of it. I did have to write the warranty company because they only allotted x hours for the work and it took longer. The warranty company reimbursed me for the extra maintenance hours.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
dmaxmountaineer
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9691
Just a little update.. I've had my monty at the rv shop for almost 2 months already. VERY annoyed. The black tank needed to be replaced. They keep telling me their waiting on parts, they get the wrong parts, their waiting for one more part etc etc. Anyone ever write a letter and complain? 2 months is a little much.