Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
onboard generator

Hello again all,

Still trying to get our Montana ordered, but keep coming up with new questions. We're just trying hard not to miss something we should or should not have installed since we're going to order anyway. We really appreciate all the help from the forum members!!

Will had mentioned to me before about using his generator in his truck rather than onboard. I've read some negatives about how tempermental the Onan LP gens are, the noise of course right in the unit as opposed to being in the truck, and the vibration, etc. Also, we are getting the 3750 which is limited on basement space to begin with, so that would be nice to keep the gen area as storage.

I guess my main question would be what are the pros/cons of having an onboard generator vs. truck mounted. Hitch-mount on the 3750 would be the bedroom too, so not good in evening. Looks like cost difference too, could get a really nice non-Onan for a lot less. How about brands? Honda's quiet ones look really nice. See they have a 6500 for under 4k which would run everything fine and could still be used for other uses than RV. I see where you can link two of their units which makes some sense, but also just have two units to service and keep running. The gen prep and Onan are 6k MSRP so a lot of room to save money. If gen is kept in truck, how do you secure it from theft - hate to bolt in in permanently?

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Greg & Kris

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
My Onan is great with one exception. It burns quite a bit of propane. Other than that we love it. Minimal noise and vibration inside. Plenty of power. Starts from inside with no cables to run.
I also have a small portable Yamaha I use for other things. So if you have two Honda 2000's, they cost less to buy and operate and are more flexible. Some have put them in where the Onan goes too.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:08 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
After wrestling with a 158 pound 3000 watt Kipor generator (in and out of the truck), and even lugging around a 50 pound 2000 watt Honda, I can only state that we are more than pleased with the lack of exercise that our Onan built-in requires. I cannot comment too much on the noise and vibration since our generator is mainly used while in transit so that we can run air conditioner for the furry creatures that travel in the rig. This works better for us solely for the back-preservation reason!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:12 AM   #4
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We have a built-in Onan (an Onan 5000, I think), and the noise has not been a problem in the bedroom. While there is noise coming from it, the noise ours produces is more of a muted, steady hum rather than a rock-and-roll rumble. If we bought another Montana, we'd add a built-in generator again.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:15 AM   #5
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

My Onan is great with one exception. It burns quite a bit of propane. Other than that we love it. Minimal noise and vibration inside. Plenty of power. Starts from inside with no cables to run.
I also have a small portable Yamaha I use for other things. So if you have two Honda 2000's, they cost less to buy and operate and are more flexible. Some have put them in where the Onan goes too.
Thanks camper4,

Propane would be a concern. Do people get the gasoline version very often, or just the LP version? The twin 2000's would be flexible, and only use the second one if need the added power.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wayne and Carolyn Mathews

We have a built-in Onan (an Onan 5000, I think), and the noise has not been a problem in the bedroom. While there is noise coming from it, the noise ours produces is more of a muted, steady hum rather than a rock-and-roll rumble. If we bought another Montana, we'd add a built-in generator again.

Carolyn
Thanks Carolyn, appreciate the reply. I was thinking it would be more of a nice hum too, even white noise to drown out the outside noises.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:25 AM   #7
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

After wrestling with a 158 pound 3000 watt Kipor generator (in and out of the truck), and even lugging around a 50 pound 2000 watt Honda, I can only state that we are more than pleased with the lack of exercise that our Onan built-in requires. I cannot comment too much on the noise and vibration since our generator is mainly used while in transit so that we can run air conditioner for the furry creatures that travel in the rig. This works better for us solely for the back-preservation reason!
Bingo
For the pets, you guys sound like us - as long as they are comfortable...

Back preservation is good. That's why we're going with the level-up system - very bad back so it will help tremendously for set-up. That's why I wasn't sure about getting one I may have to move unless it has wheels, but it would still be a challenge to move around if trying to get it in and out of the truck. The Honda 6500 is 260 pounds.

Thanks for the reply Bingo, appreciate it.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:18 AM   #8
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
You might be able to get a gas Onan but it will burn a lot of gasoline too. That is because Onan does not use an "Eco" mode like the others mentioned. The Onan revs high all the time. The other portables rev down to match the load.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

You might be able to get a gas Onan but it will burn a lot of gasoline too. That is because Onan does not use an "Eco" mode like the others mentioned. The Onan revs high all the time. The other portables rev down to match the load.
Thanks camper4, that's great information. Yeah, that eco mode sounds really good on the Honda and why I see how they can get so many hours per gallon. I know nothing about generators, so this has been very helpful.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:54 AM   #10
Larry Brown

M.O.C. #11649
Send a message via Yahoo to Larry Brown
How many lbs of propane per hour are you getting with your Onan Generator? I am in the same boat as Seahunter. I am a lurker right now but buying hopefully soon. Been busy educating myself about all the different options so I don't make a stupid mistake when I purchase.
Larry Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 08:15 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
A propane generator (5.5 kW) uses around a gallon per hour at higher end loads (1.1 per Onan), with no load it will use about a half a gallon per hour (0.4 per Onan). A gallon is about 6 pounds. Simply put, you can empty two 30 pound tanks in a day if the genny is running hard. Generator run management is the key, most who use them for dry camping have inverters with multiple battery banks and use the genny for charging when needed.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #12
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

Generator run management is the key, most who use them for dry camping have inverters with multiple battery banks and use the genny for charging when needed.
Bingo
So if you were doing battery charging like this, what size generator would get you by? We haven't decided for sure if we want enough generator to run the AC's or one just large enough to charge the batteries. Also, probably a real stupid question, but here goes... is there such a thing as running the generators to a battery charger to charge the batteries, or is it more efficient to go directly to the trailer?

Thanks Bingo, you have been most helpful!

Greg
Old 08-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
A 2000w Honda or other will charge batteries fine. when I was having the single battery problem (added Optima as second), I would carry the Honda to the rig to charge the batteries. The chargers are three stage chargers so the first 3/4 of the battery charge happens pretty quickly. I see no need to add another battery charger to the system, the charger/converter that is provided does the job well. Keep in mind the only reason we have the larger generator is to run the AC's when we are traveling in warmer temperatures. We also have a remote starter for the generator which we use in the truck currently. It is supposed to have a thermostat built in to automatically start the genny and AC, but I haven't had time to figure out how to program that into the remote start.
Bingo
Old 08-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
WaltandLynne
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10151
If you have a bad back (like I do), a built in generator is the answer. I have one and I don't have to wrestle with it at all. The issue with weight then is lifting the propane tanks but I seem to like that better than the generator wrestling. The built in will also run the AC when I want it. JMHO.

Walt
WaltandLynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #15
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

A 2000w Honda or other will charge batteries fine. when I was having the single battery problem (added Optima as second), I would carry the Honda to the rig to charge the batteries. The chargers are three stage chargers so the first 3/4 of the battery charge happens pretty quickly. I see no need to add another battery charger to the system, the charger/converter that is provided does the job well. Keep in mind the only reason we have the larger generator is to run the AC's when we are traveling in warmer temperatures. We also have a remote starter for the generator which we use in the truck currently. It is supposed to have a thermostat built in to automatically start the genny and AC, but I haven't had time to figure out how to program that into the remote start.
Bingo
Thanks Bingo...

So the Onan 5500 is large enough to run both the 15k and the 13.5k at the same time? When people are dry camping in the hotter climates, do they really end up running a generator most of the time, or only in evening to sleep? Never had one, so not sure. I know here it "usually" cools off enough not to need it at night, but in the south and the humidity I would think the generator would be running at all times day or night? I do like it cold, by the way, a meat locker is my idea of comfortable

Once again, I thank yo for your time!!

Greg
Old 08-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #16
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltandLynne

If you have a bad back (like I do), a built in generator is the answer. I have one and I don't have to wrestle with it at all. The issue with weight then is lifting the propane tanks but I seem to like that better than the generator wrestling. The built in will also run the AC when I want it. JMHO.

Walt
Thanks Walt... yes, unfortunately I have a pretty bad back. Trying to get back into RVing so am getting the level-up too so don't have to do all the bending and stooping of that part of set-up. Do you have the Onan 5500? I have heard they're tempermental, but I am wondering if the proper service is completed if they are okay. One dealer said they are like a foreign sports car to keep running Figure the last thing you want when its 100 degrees out is a finicky generator.... Thanks for your reply.

Greg
Old 08-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #17
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I will probably regret saying this( not superstisious ) but honestly the Onan has been perfect. Reliable no matter what. And a side benefit is that the gas in the carburetor does not go bad and gum things up.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:19 PM   #18
mainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10761
We had a built in generator in our 2005 Montana. It was very quiet and we were able to start it inside from the bedroom closet. What you should also consider is, that if you have a problem with the generator you have to haul your 5th wheel to an Onan dealer to fix it. (we had to do that twice) Also the generator needs to be started once a month with a load on it to keep it up and running.

We recently traded for a 2011 and chose not to get a built in generator. Right now we do not have any but are thinking of solar and/or portable generator.

Just something else to think about and consider....
mainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:23 PM   #19
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
I just bought two Honda 2000i (one a companion) generators. I had been carrying a Honda EU3000i gen in the basement, but at 160lbs+ with fuel, it was too heavy for me to lift in and out without back pain! With the two Honda 2000s hooked in // I can run my solo AC. One alone will handle the battery charging , and individually a microwave, coffee pot etc. I store both in the front battery/controls compartment. I like the flexibility that that the two provide, and I can handle the approx 50lbs each OK.

I have no experience with on-board units, so can't help with that issue.
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:25 PM   #20
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

I will probably regret saying this( not superstisious ) but honestly the Onan has been perfect. Reliable no matter what. And a side benefit is that the gas in the carburetor does not go bad and gum things up.
Thanks camper4, hope I don't jinx ya'