Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
alandaudrey
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9011
A/C leaking condensate inside trailer

We are on the road and went off sightseeing for a few hours. When we returned DW noticed the bedroom carpet and the bed was wet. A/C was dripping into the bedroom.

I pulled the A/C cover and both fans and compressor were working normal. Condensate discharge openings were open and not impeded. I dumped several bottles of water into drain pan and it discharged on to the roof as it should. There was water in the A/C base unit outside of the condensate drip pan. I cannot figure how it got there. I cleaned the drip pan, fan blades and what ever else I could get to. I put everything back together and after a short time the condensate started leaking into the bedroom again.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

alandaudrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alandaudrey

We are on the road and went off sightseeing for a few hours. When we returned DW noticed the bedroom carpet and the bed was wet. A/C was dripping into the bedroom.

I pulled the A/C cover and both fans and compressor were working normal. Condensate discharge openings were open and not impeded. I dumped several bottles of water into drain pan and it discharged on to the roof as it should. There was water in the A/C base unit outside of the condensate drip pan. I cannot figure how it got there. I cleaned the drip pan, fan blades and what ever else I could get to. I put everything back together and after a short time the condensate started leaking into the bedroom again.

Thanks,
When you say, "pulled the cover", did you just remove the plastic cover over the entire unit? If so, I would suggest pulling the sheet metal cover over the evaporator coils. It sets in a small plastic pan, and is held in place by a few sheet metal screws. If dirty, I could see the water easily spilling over into the air intake area.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Try snugging up the four main bolts accessed by removing the ceiling grill from inside. These bolts are not meant to be tightened down all the way. Just try a few turns on each.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by alandaudrey

Thanks,
Good suggestion to tighten 4 main bolts. Do not tighten them completely, just a round or two. If weather is very humid I would suggest that you run fans on high, not auto. The constant flow of air will help keep the A/Cs dry.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
johnp4191
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6664
We are having the same problem with our AC. We took it apart 4 times this weekend and still cannot tell why the unit started doing this. We have caulked several areas which helped but has not stopped the leak. We also checked the drip pan and made sure the drain line was open. The last time we ran it, the water wouldn't start to leak until it shut off. As soon as it shut down, the leaking would start immediately.

Any further suggestions??

Judi
johnp4191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:33 AM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Our drip came from the filters, yes the filters. They sure looked clean to me, but those tiny holes get dust in them real quick. And our unit was new, installed one year after we took posession of the 5er, not at the factory. Never would have believed they were already dirty, but check those filters often.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote