Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #1
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Sanicon mercerator install location

We are considering having a permanent Sani-con installed in the new rig. Anyone aware of any locations we should AVOID when having the dealer do the install? We won't be there and hope to avoid having them place it in a location that would block or obstruct storage or use of other systems. We are installing it in a new 3582 Big Sky. Thanks!

troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That, is a great idea. One less thing to set up and only a small hose to transport around for dumping with the appropriate adapter on the end.

I've always wondered if one is content with the current location of the sewer dump to add a Sani-Con that it's possible to cut back the current sewer outlet and add the proper fittings so that the device does not stick out any further than before. That's pretty much the minimum I would do along with a being able to get 12v to the device (just long enough wires).

In my rig, if the sewer outlet were moved forward about 3 feet then I wouldn't have to crawl under the kitchen slide to get to it. I would consider doing this first, THEN adding a macerator system of some kind. This would also put it closer to the Power distribution panel to obtain 12V, or even closer to the battery which might be a better place to tap (power available all the time and not need the converter as long as the battery is well maintained).

If there's a convenience center then there might be more labor cost and more difficulty with fitting things in there, but isn't that why you are having them do it?

Congrats on the new rig!! I hope you post a picture of the end result.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We have both the Sewer Solution and a macerator pump with RV style Valterra connector. While neither is permanently attached, we did run 12 volt from the battery bank through a DC-rated breaker and then to a spot near our sewer outlet. We terminated this wire with a 12 volt version of a forklift connector.

We use the Sewer Solution most often but do have occasion when we need the extra "oomph" that the macerator gives. We prefer the SS because we can leave the water on to the black tank flush and it simply exits out through the SS. When we try to flush with the macerator, it is much more hands on as the macerator pumps out the water much quicker and so will run dry.

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #4
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
I also have the sewer solution and it's great. So simple, it's rediculous.
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
X3 on the SS. Been using it for about 5 years now, only problem was when someone put those wet wipes in toilet.
I have mine connected semi-permanently. The water hose is connected and mounted so the end is near the sewer pipe. So all I have to do is connect the SS to the sewer pipe and connect the quick-lock to the SS and it is ready to dump.
I recently purchased the little water meter and was curious as to how much water the SS used. I ran ten gallons of water into the clean black tank then emptied using the SS. It took 4 gallons of water to dump the ten gallons of clean water. Yes I know I didn't need to run the SS, gravity would empty the water, but I was looking for approximate amount of water needed to dump the tank, and that my story.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1166268...76616834345138

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I have had both SS and macerator and prefer the macerator. As for hard mounting it I cannot give you a clue. the macerator is pretty heavy in terms of being mounted to the dump pipe. Mounting it anywhere inside the rig will entail re-routing the dump pipe UP into the rig which in itself will restrict flow. even bolting it to the bottom of the rig will leave it exposed to road junk damage and also will entail raising the sewer pipe again. On a class A unit the black pipe comes down into the service bay, but on a 5th wheel the black pipe is well below the belly pan. when I use mine I use the shortest piece of 3inch and lay the motor on the ground so there is no strain on the black pipe. Be very cautious having them install it sight unseen, you might be in for an unpleasant surprise. Good Luck. Let us know how this works out and if they do mount it on the rig show us where...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #7
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
I mounted ours in place of the normal sewer dump outlet. I am going to modify it slightly because i no longer can easily connect the normal dump hose if the macerator fails. I made my own setup in the early 1980's for our GMC motorhome and it was still working in 2005 when I sold it, but as we all know Murphy (murphy's law) was an optimist, so I do want an alternative. Especially since by now the macerators are probably made in China.

The hose on most models is 21 feet long and several times we have had to add an extension,so i added quick connects to allow adding an extension. This was a do-it-myself project that took a decent number of hours to complete, so I did not have to pay the $100 per hour rate at the dealer.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
troutchasers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10657
Our new 3582 BigSky arrived at the dealer last week. Sure looks purty from the pics the dealer sent. We pick it up in a few weeks. We are following the other BigSky PDI and shakedown threads quite closely. Looking at the pic of the convenience center I'm still unsure If I can install a Sani-Con on the unit. While there is a blank tank valve, it does'nt appear there is anywhere to splice into the blank tank line. Given the recent discussions of the new "sewer booms" I'm beginning to believe the only solution is a portable twist on type San-con that would have to be affixed to the end of the sewer boom each time we dump. Anyone care to venture a solution for a permanent box mount install? Both calls to SaniCon and Keystone came up clueless as to an answer. I'm beginning to believe the service dept we bought from have never installed one. Would like to have it done prior to pickup, but might not be possible. Any suggestions would be welcomed.
troutchasers is offline   Reply With Quote