Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
denandannie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11789
Photo Upload Critique

I'm guessing I'll be tarred and feathered for this, but, uploading photos to this web site is the most labor intensive process in the entire internet universe. Ok, maybe that's a bit over the top. But, you try any other web site and uploading a photo is a breeze. At MOC, you have to first resize your photo, open another window, find your photo, click on it, upload it and hope the upload actually works and you can then copy and paste it. Geez, isn't there an easier way? I have followed the photo instructions to the letter and still cannot upload a photo. Even though I have a college degree in basket-weaving, I still consider myself computer smart. Certainly I am not the only MOC member with this frustration. C'mon administrators. Isn't there a better and easier way? I would have uploaded a photo of my frustration but I couldn't get it to work.

denandannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by denandannie

I'm guessing I'll be tarred and feathered for this, but, uploading photos to this web site is the most labor intensive process in the entire internet universe. Ok, maybe that's a bit over the top. But, you try any other web site and uploading a photo is a breeze. At MOC, you have to first resize your photo, open another window, find your photo, click on it, upload it and hope the upload actually works and you can then copy and paste it. Geez, isn't there an easier way? I have followed the photo instructions to the letter and still cannot upload a photo. Even though I have a college degree in basket-weaving, I still consider myself computer smart. Certainly I am not the only MOC member with this frustration. C'mon administrators. Isn't there a better and easier way? I would have uploaded a photo of my frustration but I couldn't get it to work.
You think this is hard, you should try RV.Net.They are still in the 19th century over there! LOL I am so used to the ease of posting pics on Facebook that anything else seems barbaric!
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
You should be trying to load a link only. Resizing photos is something that should be done no matter what web site you use, our snazzy digital cameras shoot at HUGE numbers, 5 mega pixels is a small one these days. Wayyyyy too big for viewing on the screen.

That aside, you need to use the format modes on your edit screen, when you get to the point when you want to add your photo, click on that down arrow by the word Basic, till it opens to Prompt. At that point, you need that URL for your web stored photo. Must stay stored there on the web, or eventually the photo will disappear from the MOC too.

While in this edit box (you know, right here where you are typing a message, snicker), now, click on the 4th little icon from the right in the row that says, Format. Paste the URL in the pop up screen.

That should do it.

These instructions are for putting a photo in a POST, not for your sig line!

I hope that is clearer than mud and you can try again and succeed, as we LOVE photos!

GOOD LUCK!!!

(edited, cause, it needed it, DUHHHH)
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
It's worth the work to get it on once, but the reason I didn't show us from the waist down is so when we are in wheel chairs the pictures will still work. That's how soon I intend to try and change anything. On the other hand it's easy to post links to photobucket or any of the other web photo sites and we can all go see the pictures once you post the link. No muss, no fuss and no trying to figure out how small the picture has to become.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
More on the subject of photo size, etc, here on a sticky note I prepared for the class at the Fall Rally. Thanks to the admin for leaving it up even tho some of these photos exceed the stated sizes allowed.

See the red stuff for legal sizes here on the MOC, you will have to take that info and figure out how to get to those numbers with your photo editing software.

HERE YA GO
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:18 AM   #6
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

It's worth the work to get it on once, but the reason I didn't show us from the waist down is so when we are in wheel chairs the pictures will still work. That's how soon I intend to try and change anything. On the other hand it's easy to post links to photobucket or any of the other web photo sites and we can all go see the pictures once you post the link. No muss, no fuss and no trying to figure out how small the picture has to become.
I hear ya! That's why I get spoiled posting pics on Facebook. You just have to put the link/embed code in and there you go. There site takes care of the sizing automatically.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I think a couple folks have mentioned that this forum format is quite antiquated. I would say who they were..... but, they ain't on here no more!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

I think a couple folks have mentioned that this forum format is quite antiquated. I would say who they were..... but, they ain't on here no more!
Where's the LIKE button?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by denandannie

... uploading photos to this web site is the most labor intensive process in the entire internet universe.....
No wonder you are having trouble. The MOC website doesn't host photos. You can try all you want but they won't upload here.

If you want to have a photo (either displayed with the text or as a clickable link) associated with your post on the MOC, the photo must be stored somewhere else.

If you would like some help with uploading photos to one of the various hosting web sites, just say so. Hundreds of members have figured it out and would be willing to help.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:26 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I would think hosting photos would require a whole lot more disk space on the servers than we probably currently use. That, in turn, might significantly up the cost to run the forum. And, by the way, this forum is free, except for the person who owns and runs it. We are not required to pay anything. There is a donation button for those of us who like the forum and wish to help defray the costs, but we sure are not required to make a donation.

I guess what I'm saying is if the cost of keeping this forum free to its users is that we have to store our photos elsewhere, then let's keep it that way and keep this forum free of cost.

It's not all that difficult to do the pictures, anyhow. There is a bit of a learning curve but it's not difficult to master and once learned it's really pretty quick and simple. First, just open a free account at a photo storage site. I use www.photobucket.com . I have a link to that site right on my browser shortcut bar. When I want to post a picture here, I find it on my laptop, check the size. Start the free Irfanview to resize it (requires half a dozen or so clicks of the mouse), click the photobucket link to open my account there, click the photobucket Upload button, navigate to where my picture is. Since I store all these photos for photobucket in a single folder the Upload always opens in the right place... When it's done, tell it to save and take me to my album. There's my new picture, right on top. Click in the box next to "img link" or something like that. That copies the url. Then go to MOC and paste the url into my post or signature. It already has the img tags needed.

It's really pretty simple. Come to think of it, even if MOC had the storage capability I'd have to go through pretty much the same steps. And I'd have to pay for MOC to boot.

If you don't want to resize in advance, as I do with Irfanview, I think photobucket has an option for you to resize it right on their site.

I think there are many of us willing to help you through this learning curve. Just ask. Either post your questions here or click the envelope icon above one of our posts and email us. We'd be glad to help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 AM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I have no problem with pictures on here. My previous post was more in jest than anything. However, I am on a number of forums. They all host pictures and there is no membership fee. The trade off is advertising. I don't mind the advertisements. In fact, I've found some of the advertisements informational. However, this is not my forum, so they can do what they please!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
So what is your perpose in your post that started this?
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote