Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #1
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Norcold Refrigerator Problem/Update 7/25

We are sitting here in Aberdeen SD just after a big storm went through and now our new refrigerator is beeping and showing a code of, L1,oP. I don't have my book with me (ask Kathy why) and things are starting to thaw out. Any ideas.

Rich

7/25--After having the guy from Bricks Propane take a look at the refrigerator and shorting out the mother board. I decided to just take it back to FLRV where we bought it and have them take care of it. I can only assume that when the (so called tech) from Bricks was working on it he probably forgot to unplug it and shorted out the board. So all is well and we are back home again, but will be leaving for Eagle Lake in a few days to get in some much needed rest and a little fishing.

PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Rich, the Owner's Manual says the error codes indicate the high temperature limit switch is open and that it is not owner servicable. Sounds like you need to contact Norcold for a tech recommendation.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #3
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bob n pam

Rich, the Owner's Manual says the error codes indicate the high temperature limit switch is open and that it is not owner servicable. Sounds like you need to contact Norcold for a tech recommendation.
Thanks Bob & Pam, I just called Norcold and they are only open Monday through Friday, so it looks like I will loose everything in the fridge tonight. I will call them again in the morning to find out where to take it. We were headed to Glendive Montana tomorrow to see Gary and Jenifer (littlespud) but I will have to get this taken care of first. Rich
Old 07-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #4
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Rich,
Did you shut it off for a few minutes and turn it back on? This may reset it.
Sorry for the trouble.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Walmart, cheap ice chests, dry ice is usually found at a grocery store of any size. This might save your stuff.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by awaywego

Rich,
Did you shut it off for a few minutes and turn it back on? This may reset it.
Sorry for the trouble.
I have tried everything. I checked all the connections and even jumpered the limit switch but it still comes up with the same error code. I will call Norcold first thing in the morning.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Hey Papa Bev sorry to hear of your problem. We also have a problem with ours it works fine on AC but not at all on propane.

This is not too bad as things don't thaw or get warm in just a day.

Got an appointment with the dealer the day after we get home. Hopefully they can find the problen and fix it.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:33 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I knew this sounded familiar but the crappy "Search" function here didn't yield any results. But I finally found the topic posted earlier with the same problem. You aren't going to like the results, but here is the link
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45221

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
WorkerB
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8202
Rich,
Just had my Norcold updated and I noticed a thermistor in the circuit. Here is a link to see what makes it tick. http://www.technologystudent.com/elec1/therm1.htm Years ago had an over temp in a microwave. The thermistor went open and no workie. Replaced it and shezam! Back in business. Just a guess and don't want to jeopardize your warranty but Norcold may bless your troubleshooting effort. The value is printed on the thermistor. It looks like a resistor and you can alligator clip the new thermistor to the old thermistor leads. If it works, you can solder it in place permanently. The real question is what caused the fridge to get hot enough to blow the thermistor? Hope this helps. Good Luck.
WorkerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #10
MBeaubien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11424
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

I knew this sounded familiar but the crappy "Search" function here didn't yield any results. But I finally found the topic posted earlier with the same problem. You aren't going to like the results, but here is the link
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45221
Yes check this link

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=45221

I have just posted an update, not good news !

MBeaubien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
OK, I had the service tech from "Brinks Propane" here in Aberdeen SD (The Norcold Tech) stop by about 5PM on his way back to the shop to take a look at the fridge. He looked things over and took the model and serial #'s down. He will do some checking in the morning and come back by about 8:30. Hopefully he can fix this thing so we can get back on the road again. He said that they have a lot of the parts in stock for this model, but we will just wait and see.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
Jdrobone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9833
Not really related but they sent me a recall saying to install an update "safety" related device in my double frige. Only problem is when I checked it out there's a six month backlog.
Great.
Jdrobone is offline   Reply With Quote